Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By iggs
  • 1 Post By skidquinn
  • 2 Post By Yelta

Thread: new machine all help needed

new machine all help needed

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    currently own a Prima Donna which I would like to purchase a machine and separate grinder ,

I am so confused which machine to purchase Breville, sunbeam, Silvia and Rocky .......... any advise on machine, grinders , and where to purchase from, we love in Victoria

I drink at least two - three lattes a day, my partner would drink double espresso 4 times a day .

All advise would be so appreciated

Hi there
    You'll need to provide some guidance on your budget?
    FWIW, I wouldn't bother with a Sunbeam/Breville. The seem to have a very short life span.
    GQ

Sorry regarding budget 1500max many thanks

agree with skidquinn. a quality european made machine will be a much better investment in the long run then a sunbeam/breville, both in terms of coffee quality and build quality.

i'm in sydney, but pretty sure a heap of CS sponsors are in victoria. Talk coffee and coffee-a-roam spring to mind.

Talk coffee have some general buying guides that might point you in the right direction Buying Guide- Espresso machines | Talk Coffee
    Buying guide- coffee grinders | Talk Coffee
    TC likes this.

Hi Bellati,

With your budget in mind I would suggest the following. For the adventure / journey of good coffee I would suggest getting a good solid grinder possibly a new Compak K3 for example (around $550 and IMO stay away from a doser model grinder) but go with a cheaper option of a machine. My thinking is that your desire to upgrade will either come fast or you'll go back to the prima donna. To start with and to learn technique and the nuance of coffee making a lower end machine is fine. The coffee you make will be better than before. You can grow past the cheaper machine and when your ready you can use some of the $1500 (what you saved on a cheaper machine), to buy a better,longer lasting machine based on what you want not what is right for other people. Dare I say a secondhand 6910 is a good cheap starting point. It will cost you very little and you can get going with the fun, perfect your technique and advance with a hardware that you choose because you understand what you want. If you look along the bottom of the website there is a list of site sponsors. I can recommend Coffe A Roma

Cheers Yabba

Quote Originally Posted by skidquinn View Post
    FWIW, I wouldn't bother with a Sunbeam/Breville. The seem to have a very short life span.
    GQ
    Really? What makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Really? What makes you say that?
    Only my opinion, but based on having two myself (years ago) that had constant problems, produced ordinary coffee (of which I'm sure I was partly to blame!!) and both had died within 2 years.
    Others I know have had similar results.
    My parents have a Gaggia Classic that is well over 15 years old (and while the younger kids were still at home was making upwards of 10 coffees at day) and I'm still using the Silvia I purchased over 8 years ago..... So this is my comparison to the Breville/Sunbeam.
    No doubt others have had different experiences, but mine just haven't been great.
    Yelta likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by skidquinn View Post
    Only my opinion, but based on having two myself (years ago) that had constant problems, produced ordinary coffee (of which I'm sure I was partly to blame!!) and both had died within 2 years.
    Others I know have had similar results.
    My parents have a Gaggia Classic that is well over 15 years old (and while the younger kids were still at home was making upwards of 10 coffees at day) and I'm still using the Silvia I purchased over 8 years ago..... So this is my comparison to the Breville/Sunbeam.
    No doubt others have had different experiences, but mine just haven't been great.
    Pretty fair assessment SQ, your not on your own.
    iggs and skidquinn like this.

Hi Bellati,
    ditto with getting a great grinder first and machine second with your current budget. And to maximize it, I recommend getting a good 2nd hand one and a good place to start is here on the "Coffee Hardware for Sale" thread. I have a Rocky to use when I got my machine VBM Domobar 2B, but quickly upgraded to a Kony and the difference in the cup and grinding time is quite significant to say the least. With that said, I second spending around $500ish at least for a grinder. As for machine you can get a Nuova Simonelli Oscar for about $1k new. A friend of mine has exactly the same budget as you and that's what she end up with (NS Oscar + Used Mazzer Mini) and she's very happy with it.