Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mumbleman
  • 1 Post By nicovington
  • 2 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By sched7

Thread: Silvia PID Settings

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld
    Posts
    27

    Silvia PID Settings

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I've got an Auber PID with steam control installed on my Silvia and since I got it last year, it's been running at the factory settings except for the brew temp which I've changed to my tastes. Since I've been experiencing problems with the machine tripping the mains when it hits a certain temp. range in the steam function, I've been questioning whether my PID settings are correct or not. Although the Auber instructions have been relatively easy to understand, I'm still a bit confused as to what the AH1 and LH1 are for. From what I understand AH1 is on and LH1 is off. Is this on/off for the boiler when the steam function is activated? I also have the tp, tb and td settings, but I believe this is only for the pre-infusion kit which mine isn't.

    Any advice would be grateful.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6
    I have just fitted an XMT7100 PID to my newly acquired old silvia. It is similar to the Auber one. AH1 on an auber is set to 139 degrees Celcius and AL1 set to 140 degrees celcius. mine uses the alarm output to turn the steam on and off. So whenever the temp is less than 139 the alarm output is trying to turn on your ssr to bring on steam and turn off when it reaches 140, however that shouldnt happen until you have the steam switch turned on.

    If you are tripping the mains it may be due to earth leakage.
    You may have a small leak inside your machine that only happens when the pressure builds up during the steam process.
    Does it trip immediately when you press the steam switch or after a little while. If straight away I would guess the SSR might be faulty. (BE CAREFUL WHEN LOOKING AT THIS THERE IS 240V THERE).
    Dimal likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Brisbane,QLD
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by sched7 View Post
    I've got an Auber PID with steam control installed on my Silvia and since I got it last year, it's been running at the factory settings except for the brew temp which I've changed to my tastes. Since I've been experiencing problems with the machine tripping the mains when it hits a certain temp. range in the steam function, I've been questioning whether my PID settings are correct or not. Although the Auber instructions have been relatively easy to understand, I'm still a bit confused as to what the AH1 and LH1 are for. From what I understand AH1 is on and LH1 is off. Is this on/off for the boiler when the steam function is activated? I also have the tp, tb and td settings, but I believe this is only for the pre-infusion kit which mine isn't.

    Any advice would be grateful.
    I have been using factory settings for the last 2 years, aside from the odd temp change just as you are doing.

    The trip would almost certainly been due to an earth leakage problem, as mumbleman said, likely due to a leak at a certain pressure.

    If you lack the skills to diagnose it, please just take it to a tech and don't put yourself at risk!
    Dimal likes this.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbleman View Post
    I have just fitted an XMT7100 PID to my newly acquired old silvia. It is similar to the Auber one. AH1 on an auber is set to 139 degrees Celcius and AL1 set to 140 degrees celcius. mine uses the alarm output to turn the steam on and off. So whenever the temp is less than 139 the alarm output is trying to turn on your ssr to bring on steam and turn off when it reaches 140, however that shouldnt happen until you have the steam switch turned on.

    If you are tripping the mains it may be due to earth leakage.
    You may have a small leak inside your machine that only happens when the pressure builds up during the steam process.
    Does it trip immediately when you press the steam switch or after a little while. If straight away I would guess the SSR might be faulty. (BE CAREFUL WHEN LOOKING AT THIS THERE IS 240V THERE).
    The trip happens above 140C, I've discovered recently, so I'm guessing there's a leak at pressure as you mentioned. I've managed to continue using it though, but steaming at a lower temp. (120C), without it tripping.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by sched7 View Post
    The trip happens above 140C, I've discovered recently, so I'm guessing there's a leak at pressure as you mentioned. I've managed to continue using it though, but steaming at a lower temp. (120C), without it tripping.
    Does it trip at the exact time it hits 140? As this is the temp the SSR would be turning off. It may indicate a problem with the SSR. I am sure time will tell either way. As nicovington said if in doubt ask a tech.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbleman View Post
    Does it trip at the exact time it hits 140? As this is the temp the SSR would be turning off. It may indicate a problem with the SSR. I am sure time will tell either way. As nicovington said if in doubt ask a tech.
    See post above - tripping at around 140 and 138 just the other day, so I've been steaming at a lower temp with success, up until today when it tripped the power when I flicked the steam switch off. As you said, it's looking more like the SSR.

  7. #7
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    17,101
    Just some info...

    There is no need to set the Steam Setpoint to anything higher than 125C (the temperature that 99% of HX machines' boilers are set to via the p/stat) as the PID Controller will hold the temperature at this setting throughout your Steam Cycle, providing the parameters are set appropriately. Anything higher than this is just wasting energy for no benefit to the quality of textured milk...

    Mal.
    sched7 and mumbleman like this.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6
    You could try Dimal's suggestion and set your AH1 to 125 and AL1 to 126 and see if it trips by itself. If it trips at 126 then it would be likely to be pointing at the SSR.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbleman View Post
    You could try Dimal's suggestion and set your AH1 to 125 and AL1 to 126 and see if it trips by itself. If it trips at 126 then it would be likely to be pointing at the SSR.
    Will give that a go - cheers
    Dimal likes this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •