• 1 Post By allitnils
  • 1 Post By JetBlack_Espresso
  • 3 Post By artman
  • 1 Post By iMagoo

Thread: Lelit Combi PL042EMI

Lelit Combi PL042EMI

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

a friend of mine is looking to spend up to $1k on a new machine and this has popped up on my radar for him. I'm feeling this is far better than the $700 breville option, I like the built in grinder. My question, is this a single boiler? Is it like the Silvia which will need time between brewing and steaming to heat / cool the boiler? He's far from a snob and having something relatively easy to use is a big key. I'm not very educated on the cheaper machines other than the Silvia. I've told him he should lash out and get a HX, but as most know, spending $2500 on your first machine is a big ask.

Any my help would be great. I'll likely get him to buy it through a sponsor.

Cheers people

I was in a similar predicament many years ago. I got the Nemox version of the combi which was my first "real" machine and it served me very well. In essence its a silvia style group setup (single boiler) but is 57mm (not 58mm) and has built in grinder which does a decent job.

Yes you need to wait a minute to get steam and remember to refill the boiler afterwards but it is not really an issue for doing a couple of doubles with milk.

It is also small and compact and being a single unit makes a great travel machine to keep when upgradeitis kicks in.

You can even get a PID version for better consistency.

If he is near a sponsor that stocks them I would recommend checking it out.

He could always consider used to get more for the money?

Cheers
    Stoffy and snedden9485 like this.

Yes the machine would be used for milk based drinks only i think. What sort of time is required to heat to steam after pulling the shot? I dont think he would be too keen to go second hand. The breville option is around $700 inc the built in grinder, but I feel the quality would be lacking considerably compared to the Lelit.

I've done a brief search of gumtree and seems to be a few brand new DB Breville's, without the grinder for around $900. Thinking this may be a good option for him, reports are that these are a little more user friendly than euro machines (good for him as he's not exactly a CS )
    Lukemc and allitnils like this.

Coffee enthusiast
    The breville dual boiler is brilliant. I had one for 2 years and never skipped a beat. Only recently upgraded to an hx but only because I didn't have the space for the DB.
    snedden9485 likes this.

Site Sponsor
    There will be a reasonably big space difference on the bench between the compact 42EMI (with built in grinder) and the Breville DB + grinder combination. That could be a factor for a non snob (and many snobs too).

charlie
    snedden9485 likes this.

I would go the lelit over the breville combi, it is more of a "proper" machine than the breville.

The time to steam is about a minute, maybe less? Never timed it but basically after pulling a shot, flick the switch and by the time I get milk out of fridge etc it's good go.

The dual boiler is great when it's working well but as above takes up considerably more bench space.

Cheers
    Dimal, Stoffy and snedden9485 like this.

Don't hesitate to haggle if you decide to go for the Brevilles on Gumtree. They were recently available for $699 from Harvey Norman after cashback. I'd wager the brand new Brevilles are the result of this sale.
    snedden9485 likes this.