Thread: Breville BES900 measured shot volume issues

Breville BES900 measured shot volume issues

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey Guys,

Hoping you can help me out with this one.

I have a BES900 dual boiler and typically use the double shot button.

I have come to realise lately that the shot amounts seem to be more than they actually should be. They are at factory defaults.

I.e. single should be 30ml and double should be 60ml right?

When running it with no grinds, it will do
    single: 55-62ml
    Double: 78-85ml

I have tried changing the volume amount by going into the settings, putting the 60ml shot under, and pushing the button for when it gets to the right volume.

But the issue is when I put an actual extraction through it, it does about 20ml then just stops, like it stops at a timed amount instead of a volume amount.

Any ideas about this?

Actually I had not measured the single shot volume before, so I may just be able to start using the single button instead.
    But would love some thoughts on this.

It's 30/60ml into the cup with grounds in the portafilter and doing an actual extraction.

Java "Then adjust as your taste buds prefer" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    It's 30/60ml into the cup with grounds in the portafilter and doing an actual extraction.

Java "Then adjust as your taste buds prefer" phile
    as above, or do what i do, use the manual shot button til you have desired quantity while keeping eye on shot timer

Alright, thanks for that.
    Its just strange as its meant to be a volume shot so figured it would work either way.

Think my old BES820 was timed (rather than measured volume). So if your flowrate is different, your final volume will be also. Rather crude (which is why I controlled it manually).

To confirm this, you could check whether the shot duration is the same with/without coffee (or just read the manual).

Quote Originally Posted by shadoxity View Post
    Alright, thanks for that.
    Its just strange as its meant to be a volume shot so figured it would work either way.
    No, its not volumetric. The 900 is a timed shot. The 920 can be set to volumetric through the advanced setting but like me, youre stuck with timed shot in auto mode

Quote Originally Posted by Libertyrx1 View Post
    No, its not volumetric. The 900 is a timed shot. The 920 can be set to volumetric through the advanced setting but like me, youre stuck with timed shot in auto mode
    Ahh well that makes more sense now! Thanks