Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By tristanp
  • 1 Post By magnafunk
  • 2 Post By tristanp
  • 1 Post By LeroyC

Thread: Brugnetti Simona back on the market

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    55

    Brugnetti Simona back on the market

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, I'm the proud owner of a very old but built like a tank Brugnetti Simona Top - a small HX machine that has long been discontinued in Australia.
    I have a permanent search set up on eBay in case one turns up for parts - I'm worried the electrics may go one day.
    For the first time in three years I was notified of not one, but two listings.
    It looks like there is a new edition. Google doesn't reveal much, but there seem to be two models - a single boiler and a dual boiler (possibly HX?).
    Details, even on Brugnetti's website are very sketchy, but styling and dimensions appear similar to the originals, and there is one big improvement - a 2L reservoir. The original has about 1L and it always runs dry at the most inconvenient moment (when it cuts out and ruins your shot).
    I'm wondering if anyone (particularly site sponsors) has seen these in the flesh and can confirm dual boiler or HX on the Top Plus version.
    Pricing seems to be in the $1400-$1600 range from the ebay listing and one other local website.
    Brugnetti website:
    Semi professionals - BRUGNETTI

    Here is my original

    And the new model on eBay (not the Top Plus)

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    55
    Thank you. Sorry, I wasn't clear though, I've had my older model for many years, it's not a new purchase. I'm just excited that there is the possibility of getting a new one if and when mine dies.

  3. #3
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,358
    I agree with Paul...

    Think I would rather keep the one you already have and just maintain/repair as necessary...

    Mal.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    55
    I love my machine and will be keeping it going as long as possible. I'm worried that one day the electrics will go and it'll be unserviceable. Right now it's beeping when I pull a shot like it's choking. I'm going to put it in for a service so hopefully it's nothing significant.
    Dimal, magnafunk and Thomas79 like this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member magnafunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Shepp City, VIC
    Posts
    521
    Judging by the specs on the page you linked to, the Top Plus is definitely a dual boiler, 300ml brew boiler and 800ml steam boiler with 800w & 1400w elements respectively,so doesn't look like they have a modern equivalent of your machine unfortunately.
    Nothing worse than when a company keeps the name of a successful (?) product then bastardise the history (looking at you BBQ shapes!)
    tristanp likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,085
    Yeah I saw that as well. The people selling them on eBay Australia also have the single boiler one listed on Trade Me here in NZ. That single boiler looks nice without being too exciting. Very much in the Lelit and Silvia single boiler mould. Like you Tristan, I love my Simona Top. I never have a problem with the reservoir running out either as my machine has an audible alarm when it gets low. I've never had it cut out on me, it seems to wait until the pump has stopped before it starts to alarm. Maybe yours has an issue and that's what is beeping while you use it?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Yeah I saw that as well. The people selling them on eBay Australia also have the single boiler one listed on Trade Me here in NZ. That single boiler looks nice without being too exciting. Very much in the Lelit and Silvia single boiler mould. Like you Tristan, I love my Simona Top. I never have a problem with the reservoir running out either as my machine has an audible alarm when it gets low. I've never had it cut out on me, it seems to wait until the pump has stopped before it starts to alarm. Maybe yours has an issue and that's what is beeping while you use it?
    Mine sounds the alarm and cuts the pour right away. It's a difficult unit to tell just how much water is in the reservoir and sometimes I get caught out.
    I wouldn't go a single boiler model, but I would consider a dual boiler if the reviews were good.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    47
    I have been offered one of these for $500, it has had a $400 service a few months ago. I have been using a Sunbeam 7000 for the last 4 years with a breville smart grinder . I drink flat white with sugar and I make 3 x 2 coffees every day and I am happy with the taste which I find is better than most of my local cafes .

    Would my coffee taste any better using a machine like this ?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by buderim11 View Post
    I have been offered one of these for $500, it has had a $400 service a few months ago. I have been using a Sunbeam 7000 for the last 4 years with a breville smart grinder . I drink flat white with sugar and I make 3 x 2 coffees every day and I am happy with the taste which I find is better than most of my local cafes .

    Would my coffee taste any better using a machine like this ?
    Your habits are much the same as mine. I don't know if your coffee will taste better, but the experience of making it may well be better. The HX means plenty of steam and no wait after pulling a couple of shots to steam the milk.
    Mine is solid as a rock and makes very satisfactory coffee.
    The only fault I find with it is the small reservoir and that you can't easily remove the reservoir to clean it.
    Dimal and buderim11 like this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,047
    You'll probably notice more with a grinder upgrade

  11. #11
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by buderim11 View Post
    I have been offered one of these for $500, it has had a $400 service a few months ago. I have been using a Sunbeam 7000 for the last 4 years with a breville smart grinder . I drink flat white with sugar and I make 3 x 2 coffees every day and I am happy with the taste which I find is better than most of my local cafes .

    Would my coffee taste any better using a machine like this ?
    Is it the new single boiler model or older heat exchanger model?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Is it the new single boiler model or older heat exchanger model?
    I am not sure , how do you tell the difference ?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    You'll probably notice more with a grinder upgrade

    What make/model of grinder would be a good upgrade ?

  14. #14
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by buderim11 View Post
    I am not sure , how do you tell the difference ?
    The first post in this thread has photos of them.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    The first post in this thread has photos of them.
    I had a laugh . I should have spotted that !! . It the old model , one liter water tank ...

  16. #16
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by buderim11 View Post
    I had a laugh . I should have spotted that !! . It the old model , one liter water tank ...
    To be honest I think the Sunbeam is a better fit for you. The Brugnetti is a great machine, but the Sunbeam is definitely easier to use. Overall the Brugnetti probably has more longevity, but if you look after your EM7000 and keep it nice and clean itíll do you well and will last plenty long enough.
    buderim11 likes this.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    To be honest I think the Sunbeam is a better fit for you. The Brugnetti is a great machine, but the Sunbeam is definitely easier to use. Overall the Brugnetti probably has more longevity, but if you look after your EM7000 and keep it nice and clean it’ll do you well and will last plenty long enough.
    I think your right , I would not like to have to wait 15 mins or more for a machine to heat up..



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •