Thread: Buying La Pavoni Europiccola or Professional second hand.

Buying La Pavoni Europiccola or Professional second hand.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    I am considering buying one of the above lever machines in the near future. I will be using it to make one double espresso every morning. Maybe a small cappuccino instead. I am fairly handy so I am thinking second hand so I can fix simple stuff and doing my own servicing. I know there are pre and post millennial models. Is one preferable over the other? Are there any particular years of the manufacture I should stay away from?
    Thanks.
    edit:
    Can this post be moved to Brewing Equipment - Midrange?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Hack; 29th June 2016 at 01:12 PM.

Hi Hack,

I can't comment on the differences between pre/post millennium models as I have only had experience with one, a 2003 Millennium Pro, which has a pressurestat.

I bought it second hand at a good price around 6-12 month ago, knowing it needed a seal kit, which was around $30 plus postage from overseas. After an easy hours work, the job was done. The first few shots were sink shots due to getting used to the unit and dialling the grind in, but ever since then it has made fantastic coffee with hardly any sink shots. There is a learning curve, but it is a fun one. I love the fully manual control of the La Pavoni, and also the low cost of ownership and reliability. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it :-)

Regards,

Matt

Edit: If I were to ever need another one, I'd buy the Pro again, simply because of the boiler size, which gets depleted fairly quickly after group head flushes, cup warming, steaming, brewing etc.

Some of the snobs will only recommend older models with the brass sleeve but ive been running my millenium pro for years and am quite happy with it. I think the plastic sleeve actually prevents overheating and the larger portafilter is easier to get a good result out of. Servicing it isnt that expensive either. I sent it in to fix my boiler from swivelling and to replace all the seals and it only cost about 230 and that was with some polishing and replacement if some chrome bits as well.