• 2 Post By LeroyC
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 1 Post By noidle22
  • 2 Post By trentski
  • 1 Post By Yelta

Thread: Upgrade from Sunbeam Cafe Crema

Upgrade from Sunbeam Cafe Crema

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My Sunbeam Cafe Crema is leaking water from around the group head and diluting the coffee. I need to upgrade to a more robust machine. I don't have any confidence in Sunbeam as this machine was my second replacement.
    Looking around these forums I see some of you have a Breville BES920. Myer have a special on ATM for $999 which is probably my maximum price. Is this one OK and do you have any other recommendations?
    Things I am looking for:
    1. Great taste (cafe crema was not too bad)
    2. Quicker milk frothing (cafe crema slow as a wet week)
    3. Robust construction (sick of the break downs and I am usually pretty good with electronic stuff lasting)
    I have a small Breville grinder, the BCG820 which works fine.
    Thanks for reading
    Maria

Rather than an Appliance machine, why not check out some of the Lelit line of machines.
    Much better all around in my opinion, and several of our Site Sponsors stock them...

Mal.
    Magic_Matt and Pixelwarrior like this.

Upgrade from Sunbeam Cafe Crema

Sounds like your Sunbeam just needs a new group head gasket. The Breville and Sunbeam group head gaskets are soft silicone and they split and need replacing after a while. But if you've got your mind set on a new machine the Breville you mention is definitely a step up from your Sunbeam. Otherwise as Mal mentioned something like a Lelit could be worth looking at.
    Brewster and Pixelwarrior like this.

Thanks Leroy. Yes I did consider a new gasket but we checked it and it looks totally fine, no splitting or anything, looks just perfect. However I have lost confidence in Sunbeam and most likely I will still end up getting either the Lelit or the Breville. ATM I am tending towards the Lelit bottom of the range. $1000 max budget, so it just squeezes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelwarrior View Post
    Thanks Leroy. Yes I did consider a new gasket but we checked it and it looks totally fine, no splitting or anything, looks just perfect. However I have lost confidence in Sunbeam and most likely I will still end up getting either the Lelit or the Breville. ATM I am tending towards the Lelit bottom of the range. $1000 max budget, so it just squeezes in.
    Did you actually pull the gasket out to check it? You won't see any problems with it still in the machine. Even if it's not split it definitely sounds like an issue with the group handle not sealing properly for some reason. How old is the gasket? It might just need replacing even if it's not split. The Sunbeam ones do rely on being nice and soft to give a good seal.
    Pixelwarrior likes this.

If it's a cafe crema 2, they suffered from a failure in the water directional valve. This is the valve connected to the knob you turn on the front of the machine.

The valve splits and leaks water when under pressure.
    Check and see where the water is leaking from, either from around the portafilter body or from the small holes in the chassis of the machine around the group head.
    If it's leaking from the holes then it's the valve. If it's leaking from around the portafilter body it's the seal or some other damage to the group head.
    Pixelwarrior likes this.

Breville fails your robust construction criteria. It is an appliance and good for 2 to 3 years. Lelit or rancilio Silvia will last for many years.
    Yelta and Pixelwarrior like this.

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    Breville fails your robust construction criteria. It is an appliance and good for 2 to 3 years. Lelit or rancilio Silvia will last for many years.
    Trentski is correct.
    Pixelwarrior likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    If it's a cafe crema 2, they suffered from a failure in the water directional valve. This is the valve connected to the knob you turn on the front of the machine.

The valve splits and leaks water when under pressure.
    Check and see where the water is leaking from, either from around the portafilter body or from the small holes in the chassis of the machine around the group head.
    If it's leaking from the holes then it's the valve. If it's leaking from around the portafilter body it's the seal or some other damage to the group head.
    Looks like it's a valve that's gone in that case. Thanks Noidle22