• 2 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By chud
  • 1 Post By chud
  • 1 Post By skidquinn

Thread: Rancilio Silvia V3 & Compak K3 Touch

Unhappy Rancilio Silvia V3 & Compak K3 Touch

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,

I purchased a Silvia V4 in December along with the K3 Touch. I was until that stage, a complete coffee making noob - As in, I had never brewed a shot until that point.

The problem I am facing, is frustrating me to say the least.

I am finding the Coffee I am making is tasting quite terrible!

I have been reading/viewing videos/practicing for long enough now to understand somewhat the art of coffee. I use the term somewhat because I thinks its a life long learning experience that always throws up new challenges

Here is some background:

I buy fresh roasted and locally sourced beans
    I use the standard silvia double basket
    I temperature surf
    I have a Rancilio metal tamp (~$80)
    I weigh each dose
    I tamp evenly
    I try to remain consistent and change only one variable at a time
    I polish the tamp by spinning a few times (with no pressure) just to ensure the top of the puck is smooth
    I have played around with different grinds, and doses.
    I rinse my group head after every use
    I brush extra grinds from the shower screen after EVERY SHOT. Without fail.
    I'm always looking for around that 30ml range

Some things I've tried:

23g and coarser grind to yield my 30 second shot and down to;
    17g and much finer grind to yield the same shot times;
    and everything in between!

The 23g shots have trouble locking the group handle into place, and produce a very noticable hex divet from the shower screen nut
    The 17g shots actually tamp below the ridge of the double basket, but not too low where the tamp hits the ridge and produces and uneven tamp

I am pulling shots/cutting off between 25-30 seconds, depending on blonding for espresso's.

I am pulling shots/cutting off around the 20 second mark for a long black, so trying to extract only the darker colours and taking away any chance of over extraction from the long black. I pour espresso over water.

I am finding that my espresso's are actually enjoyable enough to drink.
    The problem I am finding is that every long black, tastes c*ap, really c*ap

I have found, during my time that even when i change coffee beans, that they still all taste the SAME and leave a slightly lingering burnt-ish taste in my mouth. All coffee taste pretty well the same out of the machine, and has done so from the point at which i got a handle (well presumably so) on the grind/tamp/brew process

For instance, I had a coffee at a new local I discovered and the Long Black was absolutely spectacular. It knocked my socks off if was that good. I recently purchased a KG of their beans, took them home, and (insert rasberry noise here) .... Crap. Same s*it taste.

I have taken the shower screen off twice in 6 months, including taking off the gasket/seal. Cleaning all around the group head. Dipped the brass bits/shower screen/group head in some citric acid to clean it up all nicely. So maintenance is not an issue here, as I feel I look after Miss Silvia pretty well.

Any advice on how I can improve the quality of my shot, specifically long blacks, and how can all my coffee's taste the same, and leave a "similar" taste in my mouth regardless of bean used. And also, am I aiming my sights too high. As in, SHOULD i be experiencing a cafe quality coffee from the equipment I have purchased, or will results always be mediocre at best....

Looking forward to your vast knowledge CS'ers.

Sorry for the long post, but i wanted to make it fairly clear what I've been up to, what I've tried etc.

Regards,

Chud

Hello Chud,
    Consistency with technique is the essential for effective coffee making,sounds like you're just about there however,have a go at grinding beans just fine enough to choke (cease flow) your Rancillio.
    Once choked flow is confirmed then try backing off (grind adjustment) just enough for flow to occur,see how you go with that.
    Have you heard of the technique using a five cent piece to correctly calibrate the ideal tamping pressure/gap,the idea is to (once tampted)achieve faint imprint to confirm the correct gap between shower screen and compressed coffee.
    Have a play with these options, might may be of some help,works for me anyway.
    Cheer's ,
    Mick.

Do you water backflush and chemical backflush at all? Not sure If I saw any mention of that in your post. Could be what is causing this "when i change coffee beans, that they still all taste the SAME and leave a slightly lingering burnt-ish taste in my mouth."

Hi Mike,

Thanks I will try this and the 5 cent test and report back.

Hi Kyeba,

I knew I missed something on my list! I do a water backflush every 1-2 weeks and a chemical and say 4-6 week on average.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by chud View Post
    Hi Kyeba,

I knew I missed something on my list! I do a water backflush every 1-2 weeks and a chemical and say 4-6 week on average.
    Nowhere near enough in my opinion. We recommend daily water and weekly chemical in domestic environments.
    Dimal and Yelta like this.

"I buy fresh roasted and locally sourced beans"

Can you tell us where your located and a little more about the beans your using Chud?

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Nowhere near enough in my opinion. We recommend daily water and weekly chemical in domestic environments.
    Talk_coffee

will make changes immediately. Appreciate the advice.

Chud

Hi Yelta,

Qld, Gold coast.

I have used the following over the last few months.

1. Quest Coffee Roasters
    2. Silipo Coffee
    3. Amarillo fine food (Packaged and roasted by Silipo)
    4. Supreme Roasters (Yatala)

Hi Yelta,

Qld, Gold coast.

I have used the following over the last few months.

1. Quest Coffee Roasters
    2. Silipo Coffee
    3. Amarillo fine food (Packaged and roasted by Silipo)
    4. Supreme Roasters (Yatala)
    I'm in SA Chud, perhaps others can comment on the suppliers you mention, and perhaps suggest alternatives.

Talk_coffee

will make changes immediately. Appreciate the advice.

Chud
    Don't forget to remove the basket and soak the portafilter in back flush solution, gets pretty grotty under there if neglected.

Hi Yelta,

yes i I did this last week. As well as a chemical backflush as well as disassembling the shower screen, clean and remove gasket and associated brass surrounds.

Chud
    Yelta likes this.

Hi Chud

i'm not sure how helpful this may be. Fairly informative theoretical explanation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BT7-yOUMDM

Just keep trying and you will get there.

What's hot water through the group and empty basket taste like?

Something to try - run through your usual routine without any changes, then before locking in the group handle, flush some water through the group for 5 seconds or so. Immediately lock in the group handle and pull your shot.
    This will lower the temperature by a few degrees and you may notice less burnt flavours in the cup. It is possible when temp surfing you are pulling your shots at the upper end of the temp cycle (which is quite large in a Silvia).
    Anyway, can't hurt to try.

Chud, I've been using a v1 Silvia for the same period of time as you, so can relate to your frustration. Tricky machine to get right, but rewarding when so. I'm now getting good quality (to my palette) shots using temp surf method with a short (1-2 second) cooling flush 30 seconds after boiler light goes out. Almost every time I've made a bad shot I've attributed it to over filling the filter basket. I bought a 14g ridgeless Synesso basket and a naked filter handle. I dose 17g weighed per shot, and have found best results with fine grind and light tamp. I fitted my shower screen with a shallower head screw, this removes that deep hex head imprint from the top of the puck. The naked filter really helps you figure out if you are tamping correctly.

Lots of people here are far more experienced than me, but I hope the above is somewhat useful. Hope you get the results you're looking for.

You are dosing for a double or triple even and pulling single shot volumes. Try aiming for 50 to 60 mls in 25 to 30 seconds and see how it tastes.
    Sounds like you are over extracting your coffee. I'm not surprised it tastes "strong"

Have you checked your brew pressure? If the OPV is stuck your pressure will go sky high and make it very hard to get decent brews. That's what happened to me on a previous machine. Would be worth checking.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    You are dosing for a double or triple even and pulling single shot volumes. Try aiming for 50 to 60 mls in 25 to 30 seconds and see how it tastes.
    Sounds like you are over extracting your coffee. I'm not surprised it tastes "strong"
    Hi Trentski,

I am using the double spouted handle. When I make an espresso I only use one side, and thus pull a single shot of approx 30ml in 25-30 sec depending on blonding. When I am making a long black, I usually cut off at about 20 seconds, espresso over water.

Chud

Hi Trentski,

When I am making a long black, I usually cut off at about 20 seconds, espresso over water.

Chud
    Morning Chud,

I'm wondering about under extraction, 20 seconds is very fast, ideally the water should be flowing through the coffee for approx 30 seconds, i.e single 30 ml in 30 seconds, double 60 ml 30 seconds, adjust grind to achieve these flow rates, when using a double spout the output from from both sides equals the total.

Hi Yelta,

I have read in a few places that a long black should be cut earlier, to avoid extracting any form of blonding at all. The shot i pour would pour out to 30ml per side if I leave it to go for the 30 seconds, I am just cutting it short at that 20 second point, only extracting the rich dark colours. I'm not actually adjusting the dose or grind and producing 30ml in 20 seconds.

Chud
    mjs likes this.

Hi Yelta,

I have read in a few places that a long black should be cut earlier, to avoid extracting any form of blonding at all. The shot i pour would pour out to 30ml per side if I leave it to go for the 30 seconds, I am just cutting it short at that 20 second point, only extracting the rich dark colours. I'm not actually adjusting the dose or grind and producing 30ml in 20 seconds.

Chud

I hear what you say Chud, conventional wisdom suggests <> 30 seconds is the optimal time for water to be flowing through the puck, I don't drink long black so won't pretend to know the finer points, however my drink of choice is a Lungo.

My method of making a Lungo is 18 grams of freshly ground beans, medium weight tamp, 30 second extraction which results in approx 90 ml of tasty viscous coffee with lots of crema, as you can see, once again, regardless of the volume the extraction time remains at the targeted 30 second mark.

Hi Yelta,

Ahhh I see! Thanks for that! Yes I certainly don't profess to know everything, let alone much at all really, it's just simply what I have read. I'm always keen to try something new in this beautiful world of coffee! I guess I am pulling more of a double ristretto over the top of my water. FYI I just made a long black with the same dose and cut if off at 27 seconds instead of 20 and it was much more bitter than the previous cup. That was the only variable change!

Chud

Hi kbilleter,

I just ran some through. taste like hot water, but with an slight, ever so subtle coffee flavour. not "nice" either, more like what u would imagine a discarded puck to taste like, based on the smell of the pucks! Now to be clear, it's very very slight, but definitely there.

Chud

artman,

Forgive my naivety - But i would not know where to start. I have read about adjusting pressure before by taking off the top panel and adjusting, but have not ever taken it that far. What would I need to achieve this, and what should the correct pressure reading be?

Cheers,

Chud

Quote Originally Posted by saeco_user View Post
    Something to try - run through your usual routine without any changes, then before locking in the group handle, flush some water through the group for 5 seconds or so. Immediately lock in the group handle and pull your shot.
    This will lower the temperature by a few degrees and you may notice less burnt flavours in the cup. It is possible when temp surfing you are pulling your shots at the upper end of the temp cycle (which is quite large in a Silvia).
    Anyway, can't hurt to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    Chud, I've been using a v1 Silvia for the same period of time as you, so can relate to your frustration. Tricky machine to get right, but rewarding when so. I'm now getting good quality (to my palette) shots using temp surf method with a short (1-2 second) cooling flush 30 seconds after boiler light goes out. Almost every time I've made a bad shot I've attributed it to over filling the filter basket. I bought a 14g ridgeless Synesso basket and a naked filter handle. I dose 17g weighed per shot, and have found best results with fine grind and light tamp. I fitted my shower screen with a shallower head screw, this removes that deep hex head imprint from the top of the puck. The naked filter really helps you figure out if you are tamping correctly.

Lots of people here are far more experienced than me, but I hope the above is somewhat useful. Hope you get the results you're looking for.

Seeing as this has popped up from 2 different users, I have now adopted this. I'm flushing for 1-2 seconds after temp surfing to reduce temp. Will try 5 seconds over the course of a few more cups as well!

Thanks a lot,

Chud

Hi Yelta,

Ahhh I see! Thanks for that! Yes I certainly don't profess to know everything, let alone much at all really, it's just simply what I have read. I'm always keen to try something new in this beautiful world of coffee! I guess I am pulling more of a double ristretto over the top of my water. FYI I just made a long black with the same dose and cut if off at 27 seconds instead of 20 and it was much more bitter than the previous cup. That was the only variable change!

Chud
    ????? Size of basket, weight of coffee, what was the volume of the extraction at 27 seconds? difficult to diagnose without all information.

artman,

Forgive my naivety - But i would not know where to start. I have read about adjusting pressure before by taking off the top panel and adjusting, but have not ever taken it that far. What would I need to achieve this, and what should the correct pressure reading be?

Cheers,

Chud
    Don't go there yet mate, and, if in the end it needs adjusting, get it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

I did not read the whole thread. If you are using a Silvia standard basket the dose should be 14gms. So try 14 gms. Adjust grind to give the dose of say 50ml (2 cups) in 25secs. The grind will need to be adjusted, the tamp use what ever you are using - firm but not stressing.
    We now use the Rancilio 14gm baskets on a HX and DB now because it was most successful on our old v1.2 Sylvia. It will be mild but packs a subtle punch. Do bother temp surf at present.

I brew with a Silvia and understand your frustration. It took a long time before I started getting consistently good shots.
    If you do a search on this forum you'll find loads of information that will help you on your quest for better coffee.

That said, here are some things that changed the game for me (a lot of which simply helped remove variables):

PID (totally worth it IMO)
    Naked portafilter
    Snug fitting Pullman tamper
    VST baskets
    Scales (I weigh dose and yield)
    Lowered pressure

Good luck!

How many days post roast are your beans?
    Some of the info you are giving points towards the water being too hot.
    I've had a rancilio lucy which is Silvia with a built in grinder. Once you master her you'll make great coffee and your next machine will be a breeze I had a laugh

Chud I owned a Silvia for almost 9 years, once you understand the basics they are no more difficult to use than any other machine.

Trust me they make excellent coffee without having to go down the modification and buying gadget route, perhaps the one exception would be a new double basket, the Espresso Parts double is much better than the Rancilio basket Precision filter basket 58mm- Espresso parts | Talk Coffee don't buy a VST baket, they are finicky at the best of times.
    Get the basics right and everything in the garden will be well.

Just to clarify:
    I'm not suggesting OP needs to go out and buy a bunch of a gadgets and modify the machine in order to produce better coffee.
    But did these things help me immensely? Hell yeah!

Case in point: This morning I pulled an espresso that tasted like hazelnut, cinnamon and raisins.
    Could I (me, personally) have managed that without PID etc? Maybe. Consistently? Nope.
    I'd have just as likely pulled a dull under-extracted shot, possibly slightly burnt/sour.

Chud: When's the last time you pulled your grinder apart for a thorough clean?

Hi mate. Some good tips here already. I owned a Silvia for about 9 years and one of the best things I did later on way to buy a 5 dollar digital thermometer with thermocouple and attach it to the boiler. A 10 minute job. Made a huge difference to the consistency of my coffee (as well as highlighted just how far the temp swung on my machine).

What you describe could be that you are extracting at too high a temp and simply burning it.
    morac likes this.

mjs
    Quote Originally Posted by skidquinn View Post
    Hi mate. Some good tips here already. I owned a Silvia for about 9 years and one of the best things I did later on way to buy a 5 dollar digital thermometer with thermocouple and attach it to the boiler. A 10 minute job. Made a huge difference to the consistency of my coffee (as well as highlighted just how far the temp swung on my machine).

What you describe could be that you are extracting at too high a temp and simply burning it.
    Could we just clarify what sort of basket, what weight of coffee and how many mls in what time you are aiming for. Almost sounds like trying to get too little out of too much coffee

Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    Could we just clarify what sort of basket, what weight of coffee and how many mls in what time you are aiming for. Almost sounds like trying to get too little out of too much coffee
    Same question I asked in post 27, Chud seems to have gone to ground.

Hi There ladies and gents,

Apologies. Life, kids and work have taken over the last few days and have not had much of a chance to hop on CS!

Will answer a few of your questions now

Thanks,

Chud

Quote Originally Posted by scotchparty1 View Post
    Just to clarify:
    I'm not suggesting OP needs to go out and buy a bunch of a gadgets and modify the machine in order to produce better coffee.
    But did these things help me immensely? Hell yeah!

Case in point: This morning I pulled an espresso that tasted like hazelnut, cinnamon and raisins.
    Could I (me, personally) have managed that without PID etc? Maybe. Consistently? Nope.
    I'd have just as likely pulled a dull under-extracted shot, possibly slightly burnt/sour.

Chud: When's the last time you pulled your grinder apart for a thorough clean?
    Hi ScotchParty,

OK, sounds like that coffee is pretty amazing! Certainly sounds like the PID helps in achieving superior consistency. I have read a lot about them previously but have always thought I'd try to nail all the processes myself before venturing down that path.

In terms of grinder cleaning - Well where I got it from told me after purchase I probably don't need to worry about pulling it apart for a couple of years, which seemed a while, but hey, I had only brewed a few shots by then so who am I to argue! I've only had it since December, and have put 10 kilo's max through it thus far.

Chud

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Chud I owned a Silvia for almost 9 years, once you understand the basics they are no more difficult to use than any other machine.

Trust me they make excellent coffee without having to go down the modification and buying gadget route, perhaps the one exception would be a new double basket, the Espresso Parts double is much better than the Rancilio basket Precision filter basket 58mm- Espresso parts | Talk Coffee don't buy a VST baket, they are finicky at the best of times.
    Get the basics right and everything in the garden will be well.
    Yelta,

I have purchased the double and triple baskets from the link provided. I got it yesterday but only had time to brew one shot. When I dosed it the same as the standard Silvia double basket, it sat very very low in the basket, and when the shot finished there was a lot of water on the top of the puck. I ran 21g through, on the same grinder settings I use in the Standard Silvia double basket, and it started pouring very fast and had to cut the shot very early.

I will try again today.

Should my ground beans be in a mound on top of the basket?
    I can't see how 21g would ever create a mound (as I have been seeing in other videos online), for me to then "settle" the beans, discard the excess then tamp down on. It sits way way way below.

Chud

Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Same question I asked in post 27, Chud seems to have gone to ground.

I am using a Rancilio Silvia Standard Double Basket Part # 40-100-102
    I am putting 21g into this basket

Using the two spouted group handle.

So When I am making an espresso:

I aim to extract 30ml in 30 seconds.
    I use one spout only (the other side makes another cuppa, usually for my wife)
    I usually cut the machine at 30 seconds, but this can a smidge less and dependant on the blonding I am seeing. But now, for all intents and purposes, let's say I cut the machine at 30 seconds, aiming for 30mls into my espresso cup.

When I am making a long black:

I use both sides of the spout
    I usually cut the shot at 21 seconds. So effectively I am extracting probably 20ml per side, and thus 40ml goes into my long black.

NB: I count from the time that i flick the switch, not from the time the liquid starts to come out. If it takes 3-4 seconds (is this what is called the pre-infusion??) then I still cut at 20 for the long black and 30 for the espresso

Chud
    Last edited by chud; 13th July 2016 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    How many days post roast are your beans?
    Some of the info you are giving points towards the water being too hot.
    I've had a rancilio lucy which is Silvia with a built in grinder. Once you master her you'll make great coffee and your next machine will be a breeze I had a laugh
    Trentski,

Beans Roasted 16/6/16
    They were about 14 days past roast when I bought them from memory.

Chud

Skidquinn,

Very interesting little mod there. Might try to do this and see the variance in the temps. If it really costs that little, and is that simple to do, then might be worth a go. Thanks for the heads up there.

In terms of simply burning the coffee, I am now doing a temp surf, waiting for 30 seconds, then a 5 second flush, followed by immediate brewing. Trying this out for a bit and seeing how it improves everything!
    Chud

Tamped Shot on Silvia Standard Double Basket

So this is my tamped 21g shot in the standard silvia double basket Part 40-100-102

Chud
    Attached Images Attached Images

Skidquinn,

Very interesting little mod there. Might try to do this and see the variance in the temps. If it really costs that little, and is that simple to do, then might be worth a go. Thanks for the heads up there.

In terms of simply burning the coffee, I am now doing a temp surf, waiting for 30 seconds, then a 5 second flush, followed by immediate brewing. Trying this out for a bit and seeing how it improves everything!
    Chud
    Hi mate. Yep very easy to do and eBay have these for sale for almost nothing. In terms of installation, all I did was feed the thermocouple wire up through the bottom of the machine. I loosened one of the screws on top of the boiler and connected the probe here tightening th screw back up to hold in place. It's not so much that it's 100% accurate on the boiler water temp but it will enable you to find the sweet spot on when to brew and then repeat this each time.

If you need more help just let me know.

Hi ScotchParty,

OK, sounds like that coffee is pretty amazing! Certainly sounds like the PID helps in achieving superior consistency. I have read a lot about them previously but have always thought I'd try to nail all the processes myself before venturing down that path.

In terms of grinder cleaning - Well where I got it from told me after purchase I probably don't need to worry about pulling it apart for a couple of years, which seemed a while, but hey, I had only brewed a few shots by then so who am I to argue! I've only had it since December, and have put 10 kilo's max through it thus far.

Chud
    I'll second this Chud

If the Silvia is a long term part of your coffee family a PID is a fantastic addition which can improve its performance to that of other more advanced machines. Brief benefits of PID:
    - great temp control (no need to surf and accurate consistent temp on shot)
    - improved steaming ability (increases performance of a small single boiler steamer)
    - Reduces significant fluctuations in temp/increasing life of machine
    - SO MUCH EASIER not having to temp surf (Temp surfing....uses up the small tank, and fills the tiny tiny drip tray fast)

Had my silvia V3 for 4 months before adding the PID - had it for 3 years now and it continues to make delish coffee.

That being said - consistent and sound technique is key to create awesome espresso, PID just makes it easier and more consistent to do and PIMPS the Silvia's performance for a single boiler....I feel it can bring a regular 6/10 shot to maybe 8/10. (all subjective of course)

Just my 10c

Enjoy the ride of home espresso, dont get too stressed and hopefully each day is tastier coffee

Hi mate. Yep very easy to do and eBay have these for sale for almost nothing. In terms of installation, all I did was feed the thermocouple wire up through the bottom of the machine. I loosened one of the screws on top of the boiler and connected the probe here tightening th screw back up to hold in place. It's not so much that it's 100% accurate on the boiler water temp but it will enable you to find the sweet spot on when to brew and then repeat this each time.

If you need more help just let me know.
    Very interesting development.

How long (approx. in seconds) after the heating light comes on does the temperature actually reach +92C to +94C ??
    I want to try to start the extraction while the heating light is still ON and the temperature reached +94C.
    I don't have your thermocoupler device installed (yet!).

thanks!