Thread: Giotto PP milky steam

Giotto PP milky steam

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Today when I turned on the steam wand prior to stretching the milk I noticed that white milky steam was coming out. I know it is not milk in the boiler as I always make sure that steam is coming out the wand before and after stretching the milk. Water from the group and the hw tap were fine.

After running the steam for a few minutes it had reduced to almost nothing.

From memory the Giotto has a silicon tube inside the steam wand and I am wondering if that is the cause.

Machine is about 5 years old.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It is hard to diagnose just by your description but I doubt it is related to silicon tubing. I would have held an empty cold milk jug under the steam wand and see if anything is left over from the condensed steam other than water.
    Was anything changed prioer to this occurring eg recently changed the cartridge on your water filter? Descaled your machine?
    If it happens again I would definitely consider flushing the boiler at least once.

What's coming out the hot water tap?

Got back to it this afternoon after family duties. Checked again and a slight milky tint to condensed steam and water from tap.

Ran about 3 litres through hw tap to flush boiler and also did a chemical back flush. All good now so not sure what it was. No recent changes to water as I use the filtered stuff that comes in the 15 ltr jugs.

Thanks for the help.