Thread: Rancilio Rocky/Silvia ? (Warning: Complete Newbie)

Rancilio Rocky/Silvia ? (Warning: Complete Newbie)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This is my first post, so go easy on me! :)

I owe dad a bit of money and hes been thinking of getting himself an espresso machine (hes only ever had the stove-tops), so I figured Id do a two-in-one and buy him the machine (and put it to good use of course ;)).

So, I decided to do some research... little did I realise... :o

The only espresso weve had at home is from the stove-top, so Im no connoisseur... I dont even insist on a particular coffee place in the Melbourne CBD when Im after a fix...

From what Ive read (and tried to get my head around) the Rancilio Silvia/Rocky combination is a safe bet

Being such a newbie;
    1) Should I buy a grinder/machine combo whichll be gentler on the hip-pocket and upgrade from there once we begin to understand and learn whats really involved in making a decent espresso?
    2) Or is the Rocky/Silvia combination a great and enduring platform from which we can learn?
    3) Or am I completely off track?! :-/

Re: Rancilio Rocky/Silvia ? (Warning: Complete New

Gday M,

My quick answers:

1) Get a platform that can make great espresso. There are a wide range of machines/grinders that cover that over a wide price range. I think if you went elchepo and reach the limits of the machine quickly you will be disappointed.

2) Yes without a doubt, but Silvia can be a finiky machine and will require some persistence. She and Rocky can deliver superb espresso. See 4

3) Depends on whether your dad wants an espresso machine. Sounds like you are spending his money for him here ;)

4) Will your dad be operating it? If so do you need a machine that your dad will find easy to use or is he likely to search for espresso Nirvana as well? Im going out on a limb here but the EM6910 would also be worth a thought as it may not have as steep a learning curve.

Cheers,

Matt

Dad does want an expresso machine, but hes very money-conscious and will only consider the here and now when it comes to buying an espresso machine. He doesnt know that Im seriously considering buying the Rancilio combo, so Ill be spending my own money. But unlike him, Im willing to invest that bit more to get something which will last and make great espressos

The machine will be used by the both of us, as well as my sister...she and I are quick learners and arent new to showing dad how to use a new piece of equipment ;)

Dads always trying new things with his coffee, so Im pretty sure hell be happy tweaking away trying to forge that perfect espresso... if he does get overly frustrated, he can revert to his stove-tops... although Id imagine doing that would compound his frustration and make him go back to the grinder/machine and tweak some more :P

marco

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

Im guessing I might be old enough to be around your Dads age so theres a good chance hell enjoy a machine as much as I have since discovering this new world almost a year ago.

I think you should tell him what your research has led you to.
    Let him make the final decision.
    Im sure hell appreciate the effort youve put in so far.

He may even want to add some money to what youre paying back and go even better than Miss Silvia or maybe a better grinder than Rocky would be a better long term investment, or both.

If you both get into it youll have something you can enjoy together and help each other improve on.

Thanks Thundergod, but Im fairly certain that hed tell me off for intending to spend this sort of money and settle for his stove-top.

Im almost convinced that I have to do all this behind his back and then, once hes realised the moneys well spent, hell acknowledge the need for the outlay.

Because Ill be funding this myself, I dont think I can afford to spend too much more for a better machine/grinder, unless theres enough difference in the end result to justify the extra expense. Also, should I decide to go the Silvia route, I was intent on having it fitted with a PID as one of the CS sponsors are currently offering. Would this be a compromise (of sort) to spending more for a better machine and/or grinder?

marco

TC

Hi Marco,

The Silvia/Rocky is a great entry combo and will do the job superbly once you learn it...

Why not come in, see one in the flesh try the coffee and you can make an informed decision ;)

regards

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by marco link=1182334969/0#4 date=1182341682
    Im almost convinced that I have to do all this behind his back and then, once hes realised the moneys well spent, hell acknowledge the need for the outlay.
    yep. I was into it for almost 6 months before my folks found out when they came over to stay for holidays. My dad was all "what the hell?!?!?" until I made him a coffee. He took like 5 minutes to convert. Went through a lot of coffee that month.

Try out a few machines. The other single boiler machines are good too and may prove a little less finiky.

I got the best possible combination for myself - a Sunbeam EM6910 espresso machine and a Rocky grinder. :)

Why not a Sylvia?

Easy answer - I tend to have lots of dinner guests and so I need to be able to repeatedly make lots of coffee and make them consistently.

Also I cant stand finicky machines - they are supposed to work for me and not the other way round.

Good luck with your purchase decision. I dont think youll go far wrong even if you decide on the Sylvia ;)

As much as I dont want to see this thread degenerate into a Silvia vs Sunbeam arguement, I will say that on the weekend at the home machine course I ran, I had a twin thermoblock Sunbeam and my Silvia on the bench. The Sunbeam was the 6900 and not the 6910.

I actually found myself telling the ladies that they would be well served by the Sunbeam but once they found their feet they would probably like to own a Silvia. Something that was backed up by the owner of the Sunbeam as she has been eyeing off the Silvia now as well.

As an aside, I couldnt get over how noisy the Sunbeam was when steaming milk. Not even I could get it to steam quietly! The Silvia showed it up with its silence...

;)

Blog Entries

Hi Marco,
    I agree with the idea of getting to a site sponsor and trying a machine out (or a local CoffeeSnob member for that matter).

Im not talking about just putting finger prints on it like you might in a whitegoods store, we are talking about making real coffee on it.

Enjoy your learning and journey... Im sure you will make the right choices.

PS: I love the engineer quote on the bottom of your profile...
    "The cup isnt half full, or half empty; its twice as big as it needs to be!"

Thanks all for the feedback thus far and the welcome to the CS community!

With regards to what Thundergod mentioned earlier;

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1182334969/0#3 date=1182339828
    He may even want to add some money to what youre paying back and go even better than Miss Silvia or maybe a better grinder than Rocky would be a better long term investment, or both.

If you both get into it youll have something you can enjoy together and help each other improve on.
    can anyone suggest what he may have meant and whether I should look further into these options?

Chris has kindly invited me to their showroom to get a real look at the machines tomorrow... Ive got to say Im really looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeman link=1182334969/0#9 date=1182420689
    PS: I love the engineer quote on the bottom of your profile...
    "The cup isnt half full, or half empty; its twice as big as it needs to be!"
    Thanks Andy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]... I borrowed it from one of the network admins at work :P

marco,

If your father was a real "over the top" coffeesnob (like some of us ::)) he may be interested in a prosumer machine or a more expensive and more capable grinder (like a Compak or Macap).... but somehow from reading your earlier posts..... I very much doubt it.

A Silvia (especially fitted with a PID ;)) and Rocky are a very formidable combination when it comes to great espresso. I would guess he would be totally stoked with that combination and will get many years of great service (and great coffees) from that combo. :)

marco,

I meant what JavaB just wrote but I posted at the same time that you wrote that your dad was "very money-conscious" so didnt see that as I was writing.

So if hes "tight" then go see Chris and the Silvia, hell give you good advice.

marco,

If the Sunbeam EM6910 or the Silvia is the consideration, you may like to read through www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/sunbeam-silvia as this describes both.

Greg

Hi Marco- welcome.
    I saw your post above about the PID- a fantastic idea. If you do this with also a pullman tamper fitted and a good sized basket for a Silvia, a lot of the learning difficulties are removed. And yes they make might fine coffee!
    Brett

Hi Brett!

Yes. Thats the master plan; the deeper basket and a Pullman (for the time being anyhow)... hopefully the upgraditis which affects most people around here wont get to me too quickly ;D

Chris suggestion was to leave the PID for a later time, as they take a few weeks to ship and it also affords me some time to get used to using the Rocky/Silvia (and a chance for my bank balance to go back up :P)

Drinking an espresso yesterday without any sugar at all was a revelation...

I stopped taking sugar from my very first shot on my machine.

Thanks guys!

Ive taken the plunge and gotten myself the Rocky/Silvia combo.
    Will be picking it up tonight, I cant wait!

Ive managed to resist the "upgraditis" ever since I bought the Silvia/Rocky combo 12 months ago. Even now, I dont feel the need to go up and Ive even managed to run a Home Machine course using the Silvia as the show piece! The Silvia still has a very good place in my home and as I really only generally make one coffee a week on it, I think that shell last me a lifetime at this rate!! (being a pro barista means that I make coffee at work for myself and not at home very often!)

So, I think youll enjoy the package, Marco and get a lot of great coffee out of it! Just dont forget to ask if you need to know anything! ;)

Well, the Silvia and Rocky have been unpacked and Ive put them to use for the first time at home.

To say I had mixed results would be an understatement! ;D

I think this just underlines the need to get some sort of technique happening and get it happening routinely and roboticly...Going to do lots of reading and practice...and going through lots of coffee real fast! :)

If any of you have any tips, please enlighten me!

*off to make the most of the search function!*

Mate I have never used a Silvia. I have the Rocky part of your combo and it is very consistent in grind. There are plenty of people here with Silvias, or who have had them and have produced excellent results. Good luck - Im sure that you will be delighted with the results based on the reports on here previously.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by marco link=1182334969/15#19 date=1182858964
    Well, the Silvia and Rocky have been unpacked and Ive put them to use for the first time at home.

To say I had mixed results would be an understatement! ;D

I think this just underlines the need to get some sort of technique happening and get it happening routinely and roboticly...Going to do lots of reading and practice...and going through lots of coffee real fast! :)

If any of you have any tips, please enlighten me!

*off to make the most of the search function!*
    The one issue I post about agian and again is the need to fill the portafiller to the line around the rim of the basket, or just above it. The amount of coffee in the basket makes a big difference to the pour and small chnages can turn a gusher into a fairly tight pour. It should take a little more effort to lock the PF in place with the right amount of coffee.

Also the Silvia needs a very fine grind, so dont be suprised if your Rocky needs to be set in the low singles. Mine is set around 4 and always has been around that number. Finally try to change only one variable at a time. Either grind, fill level or tamp pressure. This will help you get a feel for it.

Matt

Thanks Matt!

I had one too many shots last night and it was getting late :P, so I decided to call it quits until I get home from work today.

Ill try filling the portafiller around the rim of the basket as youve mentioned and work out whether I should be adjusting the grinder or its my dosing which needs the most work.

Quote Originally Posted by marco link=1182334969/15#22 date=1182897198
    Ill try filling the portafiller around the rim of the basket as youve mentioned and work out whether I should be adjusting the grinder or its my dosing which needs the most work.
    Errrr make sure its not filled TO the rim after tamping ;). The final tamped level should be level with the line inscribed around the inside of the basket which is down from the top edge.

I use la mazocca oversized basket on silvia- 21 grams :D
    I have rocky set at around 10 and fill, tap on the bench repeatedly till its loaded. Then I take a knife and gently scrape the top till its all smooth. Then tamp with pullman, hard. pull out- tap side to get left overs, tamp hard then swirl.
    It just locks in and provides a magnificent 30 second pour of rich, dark sumptuous espresso.
    With the OPV altered, I think it does change the grind setting too... eg with a higher pressure you need a finer grind to hold back the flow and last your 30 seconds.
    Sometimes humidity or ultra freshness of beans effects it and I have to adjust a notch or two.
    In the barista course I did, we were told to use the coarsest grind you can that will achieve the 30 second shot
    RH

Marco

Break the process into discrete stages, ie: Dosing, Distributing, Tamping, pulling the shot, texturing the milk etc and try and concentrate only on each stage at a time.

Give yourself a running self critism of each stage as you go

Within a week, youll probably be happy with 6/10 shots.
    At a month, you will have progressed to the point where standards/skills have improved so much, youd probably ditch any of those original 6/10 shots, but youd be pulling pretty good shots by then.

I suggest you buy your freshly roasted beans from somewhere where you can also taste an expertly pulled shot, that way you can calibrate your pallate.

If the dose is correct, you will see a faint impression of the shower screen screw in the puck....check this before you pull the shot.

A really good tamper is a must [Pullmans are awesome]

I also found WDT [see link below] very helpful in getting consistantly great shots, funnilly enough after a while, I didnt need to do it any more.

http://www.home-barista.com/weiss-distribution-technique.html

Hopefully it will all become second nature within a few months....then comes the hardest bit....giving up Silvia to your dad.

Ive just asked my 3YO for a giotto

Thanks again guys!

Tonights proved a little disappointing...

I really shouldve checked this thread to read all of your feedback before going through a whole lot of coffee :(

As Mr Macchiato predicted, I kept overfilling the basket and tried to tamp down until the PF fit into the group head. (haha, Im starting to pick up the lingo :P)

I have a Pullman and Im trying to learn to get the hang of tamping at 90 degrees...we dont have a set of bathroom scales at home, so I think its time to invest so I can get a consistent tamp happening...there are plenty of sales going on at the moment :)

RH, (took me a while to find out what OPV was...hehe) do Silvias come with altered OPVs? Mines brand new, I havent had anything done to it - except for putting a slight bend to the steaming wand to help make frothing easier...although Ive only tried that once to break the cycle of failed espressos :(

Thanks for the link for WDT reubuster - it looks like something fairly simple to do (exactly what I need!), Ill scout around for something I can use as a funnel...I have been finding the grind from my doserless Rocky to be clumpy...could this also be due to grinding the beans too finely?

Also, before pulling, and after checking the puck for the impression of the shower screen; if Ive overfilled the basket...can I loosen the puck and distribute/level/tamp again, or do I need to grind a new lot over again?

Dads actually being slack - he seems content to leave me to messing around trying to get a consistent pull happening...

With regards to getting the beans somewhere where I can also do a taste test, can any of you suggest somewhere to do this? I do work in the Melbourne CBD, so if theres somewhere close by, thatd be great!

Im indebted to all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by marco link=1182334969/15#26 date=1182947281
    Also, before pulling, and after checking the puck for the impression of the shower screen; if Ive overfilled the basket...can I loosen the puck and distribute/level/tamp again, or do I need to grind a new lot over again?
    Gday marco,

You probably could loosen up all the grounds again, refill, distribute and re-tamp but personally, I wouldnt... By the time youve stuffed around doing all this the coffee will have dried out somewhat from the heat of the PF/Basket. Id just drop the puck out into your knock-box, clean the basket out and lock the PF back into the Group for a little while while you grind a fresh lot of coffee and try again.

Lots of good info from the guys above and also plenty of info to be found on CS about getting the best from Silvia and of course lots of other places too, so a search should serve you pretty well. Id also use Google with the site specific tag ":www.coffeesnobs.com.au" after your search keywords as it provides another method of drilling down to information. This is a great site for info directed at Silvia owners...

Cheers,
    Mal.

Marco

Remember, much of this advise above applies to any coffee machine, not just Silvia.

Tell us, How is you extraction?
    ideally you want [for a double] 60ml in 20 - 30 seconds and at that point the shot should be just at the onset of blonding [the transition from a rich tan pour to what looks like dishwater]

Clarifying some of your questions:

The finer you grind, the more clumps youll get, but a small percentage of clumping [say 5-10%] would indicate you are in the right espresso territory.

You can do the WDT by grinding into a cup or whatever, then transfer it to the PF. Many snobbers user a 250ml yoghurt container with the bottom cut of. It just rests in the PF, you grind in, WDT and then remove it and tamp.

Bathroom scales are the best way to measure a 14kg push. You will be surprised how much force it takes.
    For now, just throw your shoulder into it and try and be consistant [let your grinder make the required adjustments]. Better to overtamp than under tamp.

Once you get the dosing about right, the tamp pressure actually becomes less critical. [I suspect the expansion of the puck against the shower screen creates its own pressure].

Once tamped, the dose should be just above the top of the V ridge in the basket [ie about 3-4mm from the top of the basket].

If you overfill too much, you will not be able to load into the PF, you can try dislodging the puck and refilling or scrapping off a little from the top, but usually once disturbed, the puck will end up with channelling.

Channelling: This is when sections of the puck have cracks/channels. Pressurised water looks for the path of least resistance, so whilst your grind and tamp pressure may be right, the water will gush through the puck very quickly.

In my personal experience, poor tamping and resultant channelling were the biggest problems I had as a beginner.

Assuming youre right handed, Try resting the PF handle gently on your left index finger whilst keeping the top of the basket level [ie parallel to the bench].
    Them do the tamp.
    If your tamp pressure is uneven and/or favours any one side youll see it pretty quickly.

One of the great things about the Pullman Tamper are those rings marked on the side. They make a great guide to see how level the tamp is progressing.

Finally, I can thoroughly recommend site sponsor Veneziano/First pour located in Abbotsford. [see left]
    They sell beautifully roasted blends and pull great shots for you to try. ....This is what you need to aim for and the equipment you have is certainly up for it.

Keep up the good work, in 1 week you will be amazed how far youve come.

Great post Reubster [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif],

Mal.

Hi reubuster,

Thanks for your great advice!

I only pulled one shot tonight - it went quite well for my current skill-level (although I had to dislodge the puck and redistribute/tamp) and I was so eager to taste the shot that I burnt my tongue :P

Also, Ive still got to get my dosing down pat - I think I may be under-tamping: I got enough grind into the basket that there was a little heap which went above the top of the basket and I levelled off and then tamped, tapped the PF with the tamper and spun off, but I still couldnt get the PF to fit into the group head...after redistributing and pulling the shot, I got a bit of an impression of the shower screen and the screw into the puck (which was dry-ish to touch and consistently firm throughout)

The extraction itself went a little like this;
    - drippage at just on the 5 second mark (my hopes were soaring :)) although it went from a drip to a pour fairly quickly...
    - but I got to 30ml extracted before getting to the 25 second point (from memory, it was around the 18-19 second mark)
    Incorrectly (retrospectively) I let the extraction continue until the 25 second point when I just couldnt let it go on for any longer...

I then watched the crema separate from the coffee... :D

...then I burnt my tongue

The espresso tasted bitter (going on what this thread explained), but I suspect this is largely due to the over-extraction.

Quote Originally Posted by reubster link=1182334969/15#28 date=1183008875
    ideally you want [for a double] 60ml in 20 - 30 seconds and at that point the shot should be just at the onset of blonding [the transition from a rich tan pour to what looks like dishwater]
    So should I let the extraction run until the blonding starts, or the 30ml, or the 25 seconds, or whichever comes first? :P)

Ill see if I can take an extended lunch tomorrow and head up to Veneziano ;)

Thanks again for the continued help!

I reckon- forget the 30mls and the 25 seconds- go with the visual of the pour. If it is pouring too fast then your 25 seconds are going to be way too long and you start to get tertiary extraction- bitterness, if its too short-eg drips for a long time- it will taste overextracted and burnt. :o
    I always try to have the coarsest grind possible into an overfilled basket that will achieve as close to around 30 seconds as possible. Sometimes the humidity or the freshness of the beans will effect how quickly it pours.
    A nice pour will take a few seconds to come out and then drip in long thin "rats tails" into the cup gently increasing throughout the pour- cut them off as they hit a blond point or it will be bitter.
    good luck
    RH
    ps opv gasket can be gotten from coffeeparts- very ultra cheap. not hard to fit them.

I agree with rayzurhed that it is better to focus on the visual and stop the shot there, but as your a beginner, I would still recommend keeping an eye on the time & volume as well.

30ml at the 18-19sec mark is not too bad and if you stopped there, it should have tasted OK.
    The "flavour" of the extraction once the point of blonding has been reached becomes bitter.

If your going for 30ml, I assume that means your using the Single basket. Well guess what.......
    On any machine, it is harder to pull a single shot than a double [less dose leaves more room for error] and on Silvia with its [lower dose baskets] many will tell you....dont even bother.

I suggest, you use the double basket from now on [or at least until you get confident] you will find pulling doubles much more forgiving.....remember, with the double, its 60ml in 25 sec

Hi guys,

Im still having trouble getting a consistent pour...

Ive asked the folks to try tamping some bathroom scales this afternoon when they go visiting the relos...Hopefully theyll get a feel for the 15kgs of pressure so we can try to get that side of things working properly...

I was wondering; if I have two espresso cups under the PF and find that a larger extent of the pull ends up in one of the cups, is this an indication of poor distribution?
    The last shot I pulled, after about 23 seconds, one cup had around the 30ml mark, whereas the other had about 10ml...

Ive resorted to the Gloria Jeans coffee to practice on (as were almost out of yours) but Im not sure its actually helping...the beans seem over-roasted and the shots turn out bitter even if the pull seems to progress well...

I might have to resume once I get some freshly roasted stuff...

Marco,
    Yes, it could be poor distribution [or more probably an uneven tamp], but I think not.....

From what Ive read here and elsewhere, some Silvias seem to have uneven/unlevel spouts. [mine does]

You could check your machine is level, but it seems to be a problem in the spout design/manufacture itself.

Certainly, in my experience, I consistantly get a "worse" pour from the left spout, but as I only drink doubles, I care not.

Is it always the same spout/side?

Some have suggested replacing with the La Mazzoco spouts [from site sponsors Coffee Parts]....same thread & the bonus is that they look more retro.

As a test, you could try rotating the PF 180deg, and then trying your tamp. If your problem swaps sides, its technique and not spouts.
    As I suggested earlier, if you lightly rest the PF on a finger, any uneveness in your tamping will be very obvious.

So best, when evaluating your shots with the double basket, to use only one cup and go for around 50-60ml in around 20-30 sec.

Your observations on coffee extracted from Glorias Jeans are spot on.

If I recall, youve only been going a week or so, so its early days yet. Youre probably more consistant now than when you started, but in the pursuit of great coffee, the "standard of excellence" keeps raising as you progress.

zen and the art of espresso

Ive resigned myself from making any more espressos with Gloria Jeans coffee until this Saturday when Im off to Veneziano to go through some training with the pros and some freshly ground goodness! :P

I hear the Bean Bay will be there at the same time, so I might even see some of you there!

Thanks to all of you again for your continued assistance. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    No doubt Ill be back with some (hopefully) curlier questions and an improved technique!

Marco,

Which basket are you using in your PF? It was mentioned a couple of post back by reubster using the single shot basket is near on impossible. I drilled a hole in mine and put a temperature probe in it for messing about with, thats about all its good for.
    Use the double shot basket, grind, pack and tamp as normal, aim for 40 - 60ml in ~25 seconds, stop the pour on blonding and you will get a good shot every time.