Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree25Likes
  • 2 Post By Rorschach
  • 1 Post By magnafunk
  • 3 Post By trentski
  • 5 Post By deegee
  • 3 Post By Rorschach
  • 1 Post By Rorschach
  • 5 Post By Rorschach
  • 2 Post By Rorschach
  • 1 Post By Boggas

Thread: Machine/Grinder combo recommendations

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    34

    Machine/Grinder combo recommendations

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys
    Been floating around the forum for a while and read a great deal of stuff on here
    I currently have a Breville BES840 Infuser paired with a BGC820 Smart Grinder Pro I've had for about 3 years, and I'm currently toying with the idea of upgrading.
    I've done a few coffee courses and while I am not great, I am approaching my limit with texturing milk.
    What I am looking for is a machine and grinder combo I can replace my existing kit with, for a budget of around $2k.
    I am also looking for something that has a bit of colour to it as I am a fan of black or white appliances and do not really like the chrome ones all that much.
    I've been trawling various websites (mainly shops based here in Perth, but forum sponsors too) and haven't seen a lot.
    I've looked at a few nice ones, but they aren't exactly off-the-shelf...
    Thanks in advance!
    Andy

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    34
    I did look at that, however the Mrs drinks decaf so having an upgraded grinder leaves my current one for decaf and saves my arms from hand grinding!
    Worth considering though.
    Dimal and kbc like this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member magnafunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    East Kimberley
    Posts
    549
    Oscar is available in red or black and I think the quamar grinders are available in a range of colours. Not sure if any sponsors stock both.

    If you're happy with black I reckon black Oscar and black m4d could scrape in. If it was me I'd want to mod the Oscar with an antivac valve though as I use a timer for the morning warm up
    Rorschach likes this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member trentski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Altona, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,583
    I would be heading over to the for sale forum and buying the lelit dual boiler and k3 and getting it shipped over if I were you. Chrome be damned
    Dimal, TC and Rorschach like this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    34
    Thanks guys. I did look at that Lelit one and that might be a goer too. If it's still around when I get around to buying (I generally research these things to death!) I'll look into it.

    Widening the choices, I also like the brushed steel as used in some of the SAB machines as well. I know EspressoWorks here in Perth stock them, but they're only open during the week so I haven't had chance to get up there.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    34
    OK, next question:
    Lever vs. Pump machine.
    I'd like a consistent shot volume and to be honest, am a bit scared of the lever (I've never used one before...), so that might sway my decision somewhat, but I'm not sure there are any good pump-based machines in my price range. Or do I suck it up and buy a lever and learn how to play with that?

  7. #7
    Senior Member brettreaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    267
    no levers anywhere your price range so there's one less decision!

  8. #8
    Senior Member deegee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane Southside
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by brettreaby View Post
    no levers anywhere your price range so there's one less decision!
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm

    Fishing Cartoon.jpg

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    34

    Machine/Grinder combo recommendations

    Ok, question then: I'm looking at something similar to a Bezzera BZ10, is that a pump-based one?

    Sorry for the stupid questions!

  10. #10
    Senior Member deegee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane Southside
    Posts
    349
    Hello Andy - not stupid questions at all. The cartoon above was not aimed at you. It was because I suspect that Brett was angling for a bite with his statement about no levers in your price range.

    It is true that most of the modern spring lever machines are in the "prosumer" category, and are outside your nominated budget. This includes the Bezzera Strega, which is a hybrid pump/lever which uses a pump to fill the cylinder when the lever is pulled down, then a spring & piston to push the hot water through the grounds as the lever gradually rises back up.

    However, La Pavoni has a whole family of manual lever machines which use boiler pressure to fill the cylinder when the lever is raised, and human muscle power to depress the lever, forcing the water through the coffee. You could buy any of these, a Mcap M2M grinder and have change from $2K.

    They do have a "learning curve" and are not the best for people just starting to get into espresso, but for someone who has been grinding his own beans, and making espresso for three years it would not take long or be at all scary. They do give a very consistent shot volume, but are limited to a fairly small double shot. They are mostly shiny chrome, no black or white, though there are some copper/brass models. So overall, they may not be what you are looking for.

    The BZ10 and similar HX machines, mostly run a vibe pump, and fill from an internal water tank. Very similar in operation to what you are accustomed to using, but a step up in quality and longevity.
    kbc, trentski, Boggas and 2 others like this.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by deegee View Post
    Hello Andy - not stupid questions at all. The cartoon above was not aimed at you. It was because I suspect that Brett was angling for a bite with his statement about no levers in your price range.

    It is true that most of the modern spring lever machines are in the "prosumer" category, and are outside your nominated budget. This includes the Bezzera Strega, which is a hybrid pump/lever which uses a pump to fill the cylinder when the lever is pulled down, then a spring & piston to push the hot water through the grounds as the lever gradually rises back up.

    However, La Pavoni has a whole family of manual lever machines which use boiler pressure to fill the cylinder when the lever is raised, and human muscle power to depress the lever, forcing the water through the coffee. You could buy any of these, a Mcap M2M grinder and have change from $2K.

    They do have a "learning curve" and are not the best for people just starting to get into espresso, but for someone who has been grinding his own beans, and making espresso for three years it would not take long or be at all scary. They do give a very consistent shot volume, but are limited to a fairly small double shot. They are mostly shiny chrome, no black or white, though there are some copper/brass models. So overall, they may not be what you are looking for.

    The BZ10 and similar HX machines, mostly run a vibe pump, and fill from an internal water tank. Very similar in operation to what you are accustomed to using, but a step up in quality and longevity.
    Thanks for the explanation. I think my confusion has come from where I am currently looking at these coffee machines and seeing ones with a small lever (Lelit Mara for instance), whereas what I would like is something where I press a button and it doses a double shot (60mL) for me, which as far as I have read, the Bezzera BZ10 and ECM Casa would do.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    30
    Hi Andy, I think the confusion came more from the word "lever vs pump" whereas it should have been a comparison between lever operated vs button because the small levers basically operate by pushing against a microswitch behind them when the lever is lifted up beyond a certain point.

    I own and use a lever operated E61 machine and control the volume I extract using a scale to weigh the extraction so get consistency in the volume (weight) extracted between cups. This seems to work well at home and allows you to continue extracting longer or cut the extraction shorter based on how the extraction is looking (can save the extraction if something seems different to like an uneven extraction/roast freshness/grind settings).

    I haven't had much experience playing with home machines with buttons, but my experience with the Breville DB is that it works well but can be inaccurate on the first shot since the machine was switched on. Once it's up and running though, it's super simple, grind, tamp, lock and extract - no flaffing around with scales for the next few extractions.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by woodenteapot View Post
    Hi Andy, I think the confusion came more from the word "lever vs pump" whereas it should have been a comparison between lever operated vs button because the small levers basically operate by pushing against a microswitch behind them when the lever is lifted up beyond a certain point.

    I own and use a lever operated E61 machine and control the volume I extract using a scale to weigh the extraction so get consistency in the volume (weight) extracted between cups. This seems to work well at home and allows you to continue extracting longer or cut the extraction shorter based on how the extraction is looking (can save the extraction if something seems different to like an uneven extraction/roast freshness/grind settings).

    I haven't had much experience playing with home machines with buttons, but my experience with the Breville DB is that it works well but can be inaccurate on the first shot since the machine was switched on. Once it's up and running though, it's super simple, grind, tamp, lock and extract - no flaffing around with scales for the next few extractions.
    Thats exactly what I was trying to explain, thanks for that! I blame my noviceness...

    My Breville one isn't too bad, but it's a basic machine and I'm generally only doing one caffeinated coffee at a time as the wife drinks decaf. While I don't mind weighing with scales, doing it every time isn't my idea of fun at this stage, hence I'm looking for something with a shot button.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    34
    Ok, I took the day off work today and went round a few places and had a look at some machines. Managed to get out and have a look last week as well, mainly at the Bezzera BZ10 which I was interested in.
    Went and had a look at the SAB Nobel and in the flesh it was exactly what I was after in style and colour. I really wasn't all that keen on the polished traditional machines after seeing a few of them.
    I got a good deal on the machine, a Eureka grinder and a few accessories. It's sat in the car while I wait to pick up the wife. I'm excited.
    Pics to come later!
    Dimal, kbc and sprezzatura like this.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Congrats - enjoy your new toys
    And thanks for all of your help and advice over the last few days!
    kbc likes this.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    34
    She's in!
    A whole different beast than what I'm used to.
    Took me a while to figure it out as the place I got it from bench tested it plumbed in, but got there in the end. Need to work out how to get some scales in there to set my dosing and work on my texturing (first effort was appalling!) but we'll get there.
    Might move it yet, depends where the wife wants her stuff yet.

    Anyway, I'm happy and will be tinkering for a few days yet, mainly working out the grinder.


  17. #17
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    17,094
    Nice setup mate...

    Very classy in appearance and should give you many years of enjoyment...

    Happy brewing,
    Mal.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    34
    Thanks Mal, just need to learn to use it properly now!

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    34
    Daylight pic

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    186
    What was the main thing that made you choose this over a BZ10?

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by mentasm View Post
    What was the main thing that made you choose this over a BZ10?
    To be perfectly honest, looks. I prefer the look of this over the Bezzera and given its going to be sat in my kitchen I want it to fit in and look the goods.
    I don't like the 'traditional' look as such and all the polished metal made my eyes hurt.
    Other than that, I didn't have much to choose between them
    Dimal and mentasm like this.

  22. #22
    Member Boggas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    58
    Looks awesome Rorschach,

    When you click with a product like that then you know it was the right choice, enjoy mate
    Rorschach likes this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •