Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fratellimacchina

Thread: Ascaso Dream - try to restore it or sell to someone who is more knowledgable?

Ascaso Dream - try to restore it or sell to someone who is more knowledgable?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all. first time poster so not allowed to add photos. Grrrr.
    We inherited this machine and my plan was for it to replace our 2 year old Breville 800 series. To the best of my knowledge the Dream is about 10 years old.
    I de-scaled the Dream and back flushed it a number of times – the first time with sodium percarbonate - to get it nice and clean and making good–tasting coffee.

It works. And makes a great tasting espresso.
    All flip switches and accompanying lights work as they should.
    Plenty of pressure.
    The steamer wand produces a good head of steam.
    The machine itself is in solid shape.
    It has:
    Two sets of instructions (brief and more complex)
    Two porta filter handles (one has a single spout – removeable– and one has a double spout which should also be removeable but I can’t get it off without resorting to pliers or somesuch so I have not tried).
    The single spout handle has some mini basket and I am not sure what that’s for so I have not used it. Anyone know?????
    The two spout handle comes with one large basket.
    The electrical cord is excellent.
    BUT:
    The pressure gauge does not appear to work. Is this absolutely necessary?
    The handles on both porta filters are cracked. The large handle is badly cracked – useable but should be replaced. It should unscrew but I cannot do it with hand strength alone. The other handle unscrews easily.
    The little metal tube that slips over the end of the steamer wand is missing.
    The Dream could do with polishing – it has its original patina. It may benefit from a new shower screen and accompanying seals/washers.
    There is some limescale on the metal surface underneath the water reservoir.
    So I can use it as is or I can try restore it OR I can put it on an auction site for $100?
    Anyone have advice as to what I should do?

For Sale - Ascaso Dream.

To the best of my knowledge the Dream is about 10 years old.
    I de-scaled the Dream and back flushed it a number of times – the first time with sodium percarbonate - to get it nice and clean and making good–tasting coffee.

Plenty of pressure.
    It has:
    Two porta filter handles (one has a single spout – removeable– and one has a double spout which should also be removeable but I can’t get it off without resorting to pliers or somesuch so I have not tried).
    The single spout handle has some mini basket and I am not sure what that’s for so I have not used it. Anyone know?????
    BUT:
    The handles on both porta filters are cracked. The large handle is badly cracked – useable but should be replaced. It should unscrew but I cannot do it with hand strength alone. The other handle unscrews easily.
    The Dream could do with polishing – it has its original patina. It may benefit from a new shower screen and accompanying seals/washers.

$100.

Best move post to correct place in forum

Quote Originally Posted by aussieflicker View Post
    Best move post to correct place in forum
    Thanks but as I am first time poster - what exactly would be the correct place to ask for advice?
    Apologies if you are frustrated by my obvious stupidity.

So you are saying sell it?

I would donate it to the Salvation Army, alternatively, give it to someone you only sort of like, not a friend but no an enemy.

Sorry, I am sure that didn't help but it ain't much of a machine and if you look on Gumtree there isn't much of a market so wrapping it and gifting it would probably be a the best value option.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by hemiboy View Post
    Hi all. first time poster so not allowed to add photos. Grrrr.
    We inherited this machine and my plan was for it to replace our 2 year old Breville 800 series. To the best of my knowledge the Dream is about 10 years old.

Plenty of pressure.
    It has:
    BUT:
    So I can use it as is or I can try restore it OR I can put it on an auction site for $100?
    Anyone have advice as to what I should do?
    MattyRay likes this.

Well it looks like it's bound for St Vincent de Paul.
    It's a great "looking" machine - it's a shame that no one here thinks much of them.
    Being a sheep, I'll go with the crowd and stick my my crappy Breville.

I think it would be worth it, I'm currently restoring a Dream and just invested $110 into it. It will be upgraded with a pressure gauge instead of the standard temperature gauge which is useless and breaks all the time, as you have seen.
    It will also get an OPV and all new seals.

An upgrade from the ESE pod shower screen setup to a standard setup for making espresso is also required. All parts are available from site sponsor Di Bartoli.

They're a decent small boiler machine, very similar to the Gaggia Cubika (pretty much identical internally) and Saeco Via Venezia (not quite as good and the Via Venezia though).
    The appeal with this machine is mainly cosmetic, a few of my customers have already expressed interest in it just because of how it looks.

If you do decide to get rid of it, send me a message and I would be interested.

I have PM'ed you.