Thread: Re purging

Re purging

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Do I need to purge my sunbeam 6910 eveytime I start it up? I am completely new to this, already it has given me some new grey hairs.
    I really do appreciate any help/advice I can get :-[

Cheers

Re: Re purging

What do you mean by purge?

Like a cooling flush?

A small one just till the thermoblock stops spitting, usually after its been sitting for some time, is necessary to avoid burning the coffee.

The volume of the flush should be nowhere near whats necessary for a HX.

Thank you for the info, it is a great help

Dear dips,

I have a 6910 (just got it -- yay!).

Thats all I really wanted to say. Have a nice day!

Okay, Im just kidding. I will say more, but i am surprised to find this listed under the Entry level (sub $500) category. The machine retails for $699 (though few actually pay this much), and though i havent had mine long (a few days) i believe it is a class above most machines youd expect to get in the sub $500 category (eg. the cheaper Sunbeam and Breville models).
    Mods, shall we bump this thread up to the mid-range category?

Anyway, I purge my machine everytime I start and before pulling any shot. Just about 3 seconds worth. Not really sure why, except that i saw a video of someone doing that and ive read discussions about people whove programmed the 1 cup button to only last 3 seconds -- which I did too. Im thinking the rationale for doing it at start up is to remove any stale water that has been sitting in the pipes and group head. The subsequent flushes, before each next shot, is a lot easier to explain: it helps remove the used grounds from the shower screen.

But its a good question. Do we need to purge/flush every morning before making coffee? If it is done just to warm the group head, then its not necessary with this machine. The group head and pf get quite warm enough of their own doing.
    Does anyone else know? Or are we the only crazy people doing this? :o

Cheers,
    MB ;)

Purging stale water is always a good idea. :)

Java "Purge baby, purge!" phile

It will also purge any stray coffee grounds that are stuck up in your shower screen as well, so I would say that it wouldnt hurt to do so.

If youre still unsure, put a glass under the group head and purge and see how clean your water really is. You might get a surprise! ;)

If "purging" is going to be done to flush the shower screen, the best time to do that is immediately after brewing rather than let the stale grounds and oils sit around overnight.

--Robusto

isnt it we should purge it to heats up the showerscreen and pf everytime? :-?
    normally i purge it about 10secs, at the mean time put the beans to the hopper...

flushing the group has two purposes

1) gets rid of any coffee oils and grinds stuck on the shower screen

2) Heats up the group (such as expobar brewtus where thermosyphon is missing) or cool down the group where idle machine causes water around the group to heat up.

Yes you should flush the group everytime you pull a shot. 10 seconds is a bit excessive, but it depends what machine you have.

oh.... for 10sec i mean when i use it kickstart, but afterward, just about 3-4secs... :D

Hi, I just got your email to say you had replied to my post. I dont know why I put it in this section, I paid $599 for mine, it must have been a slip of the digit!!!.
    Anyway, thanks for replying, I have been doing that before I make a coffee. The reason I asked that question was because when you first start the machine, from brand new, you have to purge it. Being a complete novice, I wasnt sure if you had to keep doing it.
    I am working the machine ok now, I just have to learn the frothing technique. Im slowly getting there, last night was my first success, I got about 2 - 3 mm of froth. Not much I know but its a lot better than Ive been doing, I had a laugh.

Cheers, Lynn.

I also have been purging my 6910 for a few seconds before pulling a shot. It clears the shower screen and PF basket of any debris and left over residue from the last shot, Warms up the group and the PF, and if you let the water run into your cup it warms it up too.