Thread: Replace plastic collar sunbeam em5900

Replace plastic collar sunbeam em5900

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, had anyone replaced the upper grey plastic liner on an em5900? It is the part that the portafilter locks onto. The liner sits inside the metal collar. I've got the metal collar off the machine, but can't get the liner out, which seems firmly stuck. The metal is quite soft, so I'm worried I'll destroy it it I apply too much force.

The reason for replacement is that the machine is leaking from around the group handle seemingly due to the plastic having worn away.

Hopefully photo attached.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

You should just be able to lever it out.
    It'll be stuck pretty good as it's had years of compression and coffee oils in and around it which can make it stick.

With a flat head screwdriver you should be able to work around the gaps between the metal and plastic and eventually loosen it.
    As long as you don't deform the metal too much where the new insert needs to seat on it should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    You should just be able to lever it out.
    It'll be stuck pretty good as it's had years of compression and coffee oils in and around it which can make it stick.
    This pretty much. I had to also carefully cut a slot into the old plastic insert to give it enough flexibility to get it out. Once I did that, tapping a small flat head screw driver behind it got it out.

Quote Originally Posted by rodpinna73 View Post
    This pretty much. I had to also carefully cut a slot into the old plastic insert to give it enough flexibility to get it out. Once I did that, tapping a small flat head screw driver behind it got it out.
    Well, turns out that wasn't the cause anyway. One of the lugs on the portafilter holder was broken, as you can see in the photo. I didn't think this would matter, but it seems that the missing screw means there is just enough flexibility to cause a leak.

So, now I have to seriously consider going cheap Italian, or just get a cheap appliance type. Not sure I see the value in the circa $400 type.