Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JoshNZ
  • 1 Post By jazrotorman

Thread: Best machine and grinder under $1500

qad

Best machine and grinder under $1500

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I am looking for a good quality coffee machine. i've never owned a machine, just bought my coffee from cafes. I would like to invest in a decent machine that would cut back our expenses.

I am interested in the Lelit combi with PID PL042TEMD or Lelit PL41TEMD and buying a grinder (like the Breville smart grinder) separately.
    Are there any other machines that anyone could recommend?

I usually drink a three shot latte extra hot, double piccolo or a macchiato.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Did you read through this thread? http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...er-1200-a.html
    Dimal likes this.

I have the combination that you are looking at...

Quote Originally Posted by qad View Post
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I am looking for a good quality coffee machine. i've never owned a machine, just bought my coffee from cafes. I would like to invest in a decent machine that would cut back our expenses.

I am interested in the Lelit combi with PID PL042TEMD or Lelit PL41TEMD and buying a grinder (like the Breville smart grinder) separately.
    Are there any other machines that anyone could recommend?

I usually drink a three shot latte extra hot, double piccolo or a macchiato.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

I pretty much have this combination.

I have the LeLit PL41TEM and Breville smart grinder. However, that grinder sits in the hall cupboard. I bought a La Cimbali 6s commercial grinder instead.
    That is a great grinder for me, but it is big and it is HEAVY. Maybe 15 kgs?
    It sits in my lower shelf in the pantry as it is also U-G-L-Y. It is good exercise to pick it up and put it on the bench though.

Why don't I use the Breville grinder?

I was getting inconsistent results with it (so that is when I bought the second hand La Cimbali). I then got it fixed under warranty (tried shims first and that didnt work, so they sent me a new hopper unit) and it seems to work ok but the La Cimbali just feels stronger.

Anyway, I like the LeLit and could use either grinder.

The biggest upgrade I have made though is from advice from CS members: use good beans. I roast my own (popcorn maker) and love it.

I guess this doesn't offer help in suggesting alternatives to the LeLit, but may help convince you that it is a great and quite consistent machine.

Good luck,

Jarod
    Dimal likes this.

Do you have thoughts on whether you prefer to buy new or secondhand?

I have owned, and am a huge fan of the Rancilio Silvia and Rocky. CS sponsors Coffee A Roma are doing the package for $1279. There's lots of reasons to like this combo but I chose it because they're solid, built to last (more so than any appliance brand) and have very good resale value should you ever want to upgrade. I really like the stainless finish too. There's also a lot of support/online forums discussing it and you can add a PID later too.

I personally took a best-guess gamble on one from Gumtree and sold it a few years later at a bit of a profit. Just got lucky on that one so I won't recommend it I guess. Can't remember exactly but it was in the vicinity of $700 I bought it for.