• 3 Post By trentski
  • 1 Post By chokkidog
  • 3 Post By Melbroaster
  • 1 Post By Javaphile

Thread: New Brewtus IV-V just dies

The Strand, Western Cape Province, South Africa

New Brewtus IV-V just dies

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My new machine as above has made around 10 or so shots what last night it just went quite dead: no PID read-out, boiler light out, no signs of live at all. I should perhaps add that the vent pipe from the OPV I think it is (small downwards bent tube near the drip tray), was always leaking water when brewing, is this normal? The brew pressure gauge showed a reading of 11 bar when back flushing and about 8 bar when brewing. When back flushing the flow from the tube just mentioned was running a steady stream, just about.

Any ideas? Might it be that the PID unit gave up the ghost?

G'day Louis...

Is your vendor able to help out?
    Machine still under warranty?

Mal.

Hi Louis. Is it plumbed in or tank fill? Could the sensor for the tank be faulty? On my profitec the electrics would cut out if the machine thought the tank was empty. Sometimes it thought the tank was empty because the little float in the tank wasn't rising to activate the sensor.

Sniff

I have indeed contacted the supplier who suggested that I open up the machine and check the safety valve under the platform for the reservoir. This machine may be plumbed in or run off the internal water bottle. At the moment the latter method suits me best. Upon testing the safety switch I discovered that the spring under that platform is too stiff and is capable of lifting the bottle when it is still almost 1/3 full (990 ml). Until I find a suitable weight, which can only be a piece of lead, I shall have to be content with refilling the bottle when it reaches the 1/3 mark.

After the above episode I wanted to adjust the brewing pressure to 9 bar. The pressure with the blind filter in place was 11 bar. After three adjustment attempts I got the pressure down to 9 bar, with the blind filter in place. What bothers me is that water is released through that thin little pipe behind and below the brew head the whole time the pump is running. But worse than that, is that now the pressure no longer goes up at all. Without the portafilter in place water still runs from that little pipe and very little water comes through the shower screen. What could be wrong and is it something one can fix as in DIY? This is a brand new machine that has not made 20 espressos thus far. The pressure with the blind filter in place was 11 bar. I locked the portafilter in place and lifted the lever. After three adjustments I got the pressure down to 9 bar, with the blind filter in place. What bothers me is that water is released through that thin little pipe behind an below the brew head the whole time the pump is running. But worse than that is that now the pressure no longer goes up at all. Without the portafilter in place water still runs from that little pipe and very little water comes through the shower screen. What could be wrong and is it something one can fix as in DIY?

Why would you be hacking a new machine? Take it back and get it fixed. Anything you do to fix it will possibly void your warranty.
    Dimal, herzog and chokkidog like this.

Don't play with things you don't understand. .... You will only get frustrated.

This is where buying from a good dealer comes into play..... after sales service and support.

You should only adjust your brew pressure with a portafilter in place that has a pressure gauge on it. Using the dial reading to adjust the pressure at the

group is likely to end up with a brew pressure below 9 bar.
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    Why would you be hacking a new machine? Take it back and get it fixed. Anything you do to fix it will possibly void your warranty.
    Agreed. It has happened to me before where a company will try to "pass the buck" to save themselves the responsibility for repairs........which is THEIR'S, for a machine under warranty.
    Last edited by LFM60; 6th November 2016 at 12:02 PM.

Step 1 is always ask the vendor in a friendly way for some after sales support and mention that you aren't comfortable doing the work yourself. Feel free to update this thread with the response
    Dimal, kbc and LFM60 like this.

Thanks guys for good advice which I shall follow. Shall report back afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by chokkidog View Post
    You should only adjust your brew pressure with a portafilter in place that has a pressure gauge on it. Using the dial reading to adjust the pressure at the

group is likely to end up with a brew pressure below 9 bar.
    Agree with this 100%... A few years ago I borrowed a PF with a pressure gauge for a week and tuned my brewtus to 9 bar at the PF. 9 bar at the PF on my machine = 10.5 bar at the pressure gauge on the machine. (Not too far from your factory setting.) Note: that was my machine only I expect individual machines may vary.

I have in the meantime sent the machine to the vendor. It turned out to have been the aerator valve that needed replacement. I plan on fetching the machine towards the end of the week and shall report back if the problem is indeed now fixed.

The machine came back after the vacuum breaker ( what I called a de-aerator valve previously) had allegedly been replaced because it came faulty out of the factory. Back at home, after four espressos the machine started leaking water, the pressure gauge indicated 0 kPa and just a few drops of coffee emerged from the PF spout. I removed the machine's cover after switching it off, then restarted it. Water was welling up from the vacuum breaker's orifice and the pressure relieve valve was also spilling water from the row of openings at its base when I moved the lever to the top of its travel. After that water still leaked from the vacuum breaker, even with the pump off. I attach a diagram from a review of the machine (called an Office Leva - also the name it is marketed under here in South Africa) for the sake of interest. The image is from Bella Barista's review of the machine.

Brewtus' innards.pdf

I'm not at all familiar with your machine so I could be wrong but it sounds like your boiler(s) is filled to the top with water instead of only partially full. My first call would be to the repairer and asking WTF?!? If they can't talk you through the fix over the phone and you have to bring it back to them power it up and show them what the problem is. Then when it's ready to go home I'd request/require a power on test before leaving with it.

Java "Hates it when people don't fix things the first time" phile
    Dimal likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!