Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By JojoS
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By AlMac

Thread: Anyone familiar with 110V machines compared to 220V machines?

Anyone familiar with 110V machines compared to 220V machines?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I'm looking to move overseas and wondering if there is a difference in quality for brewing from 110V machines compared to what we have here. I recall reading somewhere that the 110V machines might take longer to get up to temp but other than that shouldn't they be the same?

I am considering taking my espresso equipment with me overseas and running it from a step-down transformer. Or am I just better off selling it and using that as an excuse to upgrade ? Appreciate any input anyone has.

Thanks!

G'day "turbo6m"...

Do you know what the Line Frequency will be at your future location?
    This is just as important to know as the Line Voltage...

Mal.
    coffeechris likes this.

In an espresso machine though? Pump runs for Bugger all and the element wouldn't care would it?

Have used 110 volt espresso machines and grinders in the US, in my experience the difference between 110 and 240 volt is negligible, both get the job done as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    G'day "turbo6m"...

Mal.
    Hi Mal -- Headed to the US so I think frequency would be 60 Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo6m View Post
    Hi Mal -- Headed to the US so I think frequency would be 60 Hz.
    You would be correct.

Java "♫Hz so good....♫" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Sell now and buy there whether it will be an upgrade or same level! You will have warranty and service and best of all, new toys! BTW, what is your present setup?

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    In an espresso machine though? Pump runs for Bugger all and the element wouldn't care would it?
    Depends on the machine and its component spec...

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by JojoS View Post
    Sell now and buy there whether it will be an upgrade or same level! You will have warranty and service and best of all, new toys! BTW, what is your present setup?
    Wife got me the Breville BES920 setup for father's day with naked portafilter. Works great for us and one of the reasons I haven't been active on the board. It just works. I will probably end up selling and use that as a reason to upgrade or try a different brand. Can't say no to new toys!! I just hope it will be as easy to get quality beans. I know you can mail order them but I like being able to walk into the store and see what's roasting.

Where in the 110V world will you be relocating? I don't think sourcing for quality roasted coffee will be a problem.

Where in the 110V world will you be relocating? I don't think sourcing for quality roasted coffee will be a problem.
    West coast, probably to the Palo Alto, California area. Do you have any recommendations? Feel free to PM me. Cheers.

I get my green coffee beans from a vendor in Orange County near Anaheim. You will probably get better recommendations from US based coffee forum members living in the Palo Alto area.
    Sink_cut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    G'day "turbo6m"...

Mal.
    Would you explain why that is the case? I have a friend in Korea, where the electricity is 220V/60Hz, and he was going to buy a Behmor from HK, but the tech support at Behmor said that those machines sold in HK (wired for 220V/50Hz) would have issues dealing with 60Hz power. I'm not an electrical engineer, and I was wondering why.

I get my green coffee beans from a vendor in Orange County near Anaheim. You will probably get better recommendations from US based coffee forum members living in the Palo Alto area.
    Bodhi Leaf Coffee? I'm a loyal customer, really like them, and have bought from them exclusively for >3 years. Great people...

Lots of info about this to be found around the Net. For example...
    https://www.quora.com/What-happens-i...iance-in-50-hz

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo6m View Post
    I'm looking to move overseas and wondering if there is a difference in quality for brewing from 110V machines compared to what we have here. I recall reading somewhere that the 110V machines might take longer to get up to temp but other than that shouldn't they be the same?
    there is no reason the quality should be any different due to the voltage source,

elements as you mention may take a little longer to heat up but this can be addressed by running 2 elements in parallel to equalise the power dissipation.

pumps and electronics also are avaiable in configurations that work in either voltage.

the frequency variation would have a negligible effect as elements are resistive where freq don't matter, electronics would be rectified to dc and vibrational pumps would oscillate marginally faster.

I am considering taking my espresso equipment with me overseas and running it from a step-down transformer. Or am I just better off selling it and using that as an excuse to upgrade ? Appreciate any input anyone has.
    step down transformers for higher powered rated equipment are relatively heavy and expensive,

Were it so simple....

I wouldn't be so blasť about recommending a "She'll be right, mate." attitude concerning these matters...

Mal.
    readeral likes this.

Sounds like a great way to void warranties and, if you had a fault causing damage to your dwelling, insurance.
    Dimal likes this.