Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JetBlack_Espresso

Thread: Lelit Combi starting up

Lelit Combi starting up

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    The instructions say after switching on, open the steam/hot water knob, & pump in coffee mode till water comes out the nozzle. It's not clear if this means every time or just the first time (it does follow "remove the machine from its packing...").
    I assume this is to clear any air out of the lines, but I would have thought pumping a little water through the group head before starting the heat up would do the job. I assume one or other of these should be done before the first shot of each day (and the latter between subsequent shots to help clear grounds on the screen).
    Last edited by SpiralEscalator; 23rd November 2016 at 12:38 PM.

I'd say just first time, just to fill the boiler with water so as not to damage it. I just turn mine on and let it heat up. Between shots I run water though to clear the screen, after the last shot a back flush. Weekly to two weekly a cafetto clean, I soak the portafilter and basket in cleaner when I notice it getting dirty. After steaming I run hot water though to purge the steam from the boiler, also discharges any milk in the wand.

Have you weighed how many grams you're putting in the double basket? The guy who sold it to me said it should hold 23g I think, but it seems to me most comfortable with 16 to 18. I think he was confusing it with a machine that has a triple basket. I want to make sure I've got the dosing right each time before I start messing with the grind

Do the 5 cent test as a guide for max dose volume and adjust from there.

Always good practice to refill boiler on a single boiler machine. I ran the brew after steaming to refill and also as soon as I turned machine in to make sure boiler was full.

These are a great little machine, enjoy.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SpiralEscalator View Post
    Have you weighed how many grams you're putting in the double basket?
    No, I just do it by eye. Grind, tap to settle, grind more for a little mound, smooth level with finger then tamp. I'm not very exact, as long as it tastes good for me I'm happy. I always just use the double basket for my latte's.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiralEscalator View Post
    Have you weighed how many grams you're putting in the double basket? The guy who sold it to me said it should hold 23g I think, but it seems to me most comfortable with 16 to 18. I think he was confusing it with a machine that has a triple basket. I want to make sure I've got the dosing right each time before I start messing with the grind
    Hey I've tried 16 g but it actually touched the screen and I called Jetblack and they said the basket should hold 14g only which is quite annoying. Do you know if there is any aftermarket basket for combi?>

Site Sponsor
    The double Lelit basket takes more than 14g comfortably - if I recall correctly last time I measured a dose it was closer to 20 - but I've used scales maybe twice in the last 10 years so don't quote me. But don't get hung up on the numbers (or annoyed ...?). Just understand that the standard Lelit double basket holds more than enough coffee to make a very decent strength double shot. If you're not achieving that, the issue will be the coffee you're using and/or grind setting.

charlie
    Dimal likes this.