Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 2 Post By Stan

Thread: Need advice on first machine and grinder

Need advice on first machine and grinder

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So after trawling this site on and off for a year without making a decision I'm finally ready to make a decision.
    I'm either going to go with the Lelit combi with PID OR the Lelit PL41TEMD with Pid plus
    Macap M2D or M2M grinder.

My question is-
    Is it worth the few hundred extra to get the Macap grinder VS the combi inbuilt ?
    I will only be making a couple of cups each morning and occasionally more for friends. I don't care about the noise of the grinder and won't be leaving beans in the grinder when not in use.
    If the difference in quality in the coffee is noticeable between the two I don't mind spending the extra cash.

Also for my intended use is doserless the way to go if I choose the seperate grinder option?

I will not be upgrading in the next 5-6 years at the very least.
    Would appreciate any advice.
    Cheers

Welcome mate...

If it's within your budget, I'd always recommend going with the best grinder you can afford, and the M2M is an excellent grinder, to give you the flexibility of upgrading your espresso machine sometime in the future. The grinder will outlast several machine upgrades but the good thing about getting a decent grinder from the outset, is that if/when you decide to upgrade the grinder, you will ensure that your resale value of the grinder is optimum, so long as you look after it...

Hope some of this helps...

Mal.
    Brewster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Welcome mate...

If it's within your budget, I'd always recommend going with the best grinder you can afford, and the M2M is an excellent grinder, to give you the flexibility of upgrading your espresso machine sometime in the future. The grinder will outlast several machine upgrades but the good thing about getting a decent grinder from the outset, is that if/when you decide to upgrade the grinder, you will ensure that your resale value of the grinder is optimum, so long as you look after it...

Hope some of this helps...

Mal.
    Thanks for that advice. Any thoughts on doserless VS doser?

hi realmac i like your post coz it would look like i arrived at a similar conclusion to you and our budgets appear quite similar. looks like you are going a single boiler solution. are you aware that there is some waiting involved between pulls and frothing (for the machine to heat up and cook down) between preparations? does it impact on your drinking habits or are you an espresso kinda guy? have you considered HX machines?

Site Sponsor
    Hi Realmac,

some considerations regarding combi versus separates:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-equipment-midrange-500-1500/41910-help-machine-do-i-go.html#post562612

charlie

Thanks for the link

Yes I am aware there is some waiting involved but i guess i need to look at exactly how long. I will be doing low volume, mainly myself 2-3 per day mostly with milk.
    Have you made a decision yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by andysydney2003 View Post
    hi realmac i like your post coz it would look like i arrived at a similar conclusion to you and our budgets appear quite similar. looks like you are going a single boiler solution. are you aware that there is some waiting involved between pulls and frothing (for the machine to heat up and cook down) between preparations? does it impact on your drinking habits or are you an espresso kinda guy? have you considered HX machines?

Thanks for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Definitely doserless. Dosers are relics now. You don't see them in new cafes and I definitely wouldn't choose one for home. I used to list dosered grinders but I only sold 1 to 50 doserless so that says something.
    Good luck with your choice
    Paul

Mind you...

If you were able to grab an excellent grinder that happened to have a Doser attached, it'd be hard to say no...

Mal.
    magnafunk likes this.

I have used a doser for the last 8 years. With little practise you can grind only the amount of beans you need for the number of espressos you are making. However I am currently looking to purchase a doser less grinder more for a change than any other reason. Besides upgrading is so much fun
    Dimal and Magic_Matt like this.