Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Brewster
  • 2 Post By Di_Bartoli

Thread: Advise Needed - real newbie into this but want to get started

Advise Needed - real newbie into this but want to get started

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I know there has been number of similar postings on this forum so do apologies for that in advance.

I have always been an avid coffee drinker (more so with your typical Flat Whites and Lattes). And I now would like to take this into my own hands and be able to make it at home and learn the craft of it.

I would like to get advise on the initial coffee espresso machine with the following criteria I have have:

- budget is around $1500 (this is to include machine + grinder and possibly other accessories)
    - good long lasting quality machines
    - local (based in Melbourne) as I would like to have the opportunity to learn the craft
    - will mostly be making coffee for myself and my wife but will have to cater for larger crowds (ie entertaining family + friends etc)
    - been reading a lot about HX and Dual Boiler and how good it is when you want to extract coffee and steam at the same time (question is can it be possible in my budget) or would I notice the delay or would the extracted coffee be going into waste while making the milk?

The model I had been looking out for is - Lelit Combi PL042TEMD (as this is a combi) so its a starting point and have got in touch with Paul from dodgy x (who seems very knowledgeable and helpful! and am awaiting to hear from him with some tips/advise). But just writing here to get some real user feedback as well.

Many thanks!!!

Hi scho047 and welcome.
    if you haven't already done so, have a read of the following three threads started by mtooler who recently completed his purchase which had a similar starting budget as you.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...00-budget.html

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...-iv-profi.html

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...ns-newbie.html

You may well take a different approach, but some answers to your questions may well be found in these threads. Either way, it is an interesting read

Cheers
    Mal
    mtooler and scho047 like this.

Site Sponsor

Hello @scho047,

You can find an effective underwhelming tool that lands a well tailored, professionally recommended short list in your inbox right here:
    http://dibartoli.com.au/the-quest/

If you prefer a local vendor, I'd be dropping by a CS sponsor. You'd get to play with few machines but more importantly allow them to know you better so they can help you narrow it to the one for you.

Good luck!
    Brewster and kbc like this.

Thank you very much for that information re: survey. I have filled it out to get another opinion as to what you would be willing recommend/suggest.

I am really wanting to know what the real difference or user experience is for between Single Boiler vs HX or Dual Boiler. And would that really come into equation for the hunt for the right machine...

Thanks!

What or how does ECM Manufacture Casa IV compare to Lelit PL042?
    Which one of the two company is respectable/reputable? so many choices as I look further into this journey! and saw ECM Manufacture Casa IV to be in the similar price range.

Hx or double boiler doesn't really matter. Hx is a simpler design but both let you steam and pull shots at the same time.

no what i meant was in comparison against single boiler. not between the two..... many thanks!

just a quick question to those with a personal experience on Lelit products. Are they as reliable as some of the other italian counter-parts or ECM brand?
    had initially been thinking I could spend around 1500 +250 or so.... but given the recent holiday etc... I think it is going to be more like around 1200's.... which the Lelit Combi sits right in the mark.....

would it be the right option as a beginner to learn the basics of coffee making and start the journey of home coffee brewing hobby...

lastly, are there other option other than Lelit combi option in that price range? I have looked through this site whilst I am still on holiday and have found ECM ones with a separate grinder as an option as well.

cheers for the tips in advance!

Site Sponsor

Hi scho047, and happy holidays!

Di Bartoli still has on its web site the Oscar and the Eureka Grinder Combo (inc Accessories and other freebies) at their Boxing Day special for under $1.5k. You get an HX & a robust, easy to use Grinder at a price of a single boiler machine. Price will be adjusted up in the next few days.