Thread: Please help! EM7000 is working but....

Please help! EM7000 is working but....

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Id love some help as Im confident with some leads from the Snobs - Ill be able to have a crack at fixing this. So my EM7000 is working BUT - even though very well tamped and using correctly ground coffee - is virtually coloured water. There is little to no pressure on the gauge and that seems correct as the water rushes through the grinds. I have ensured the group head is clear of coffee and tightly put into place too. Also - the milk is frothing and the gauge is working but indicating the correct temp milk - when the milk is still only tepid.

The result is a tepid, super weak 'coffee'. The machine is only 18 months old and I have never descaled or replaced any seals. (I only say those things as Ive just had a look through the only manual and am sure I have to descale - and hope that might be a solution - so if you have tips on how to do this without purchasing from Sunbeam the recommended tablets (too many public holidays til I can get one delivered from Sunbeam)

Thanks in advance
    Louise

Let's start with removing a few variables.
    To start with, how old are your coffee beans?
    By that I mean not when was it purchased, but when were they roasted?

Secondly, have you tried grinding finer?

Hi Marke, Beans were roasted on 28/11 and ground last week. I don't have a grinder so I buy beans at a little coffee place that pride themselves on their beans! They grind it at the '1' setting and it looks the same as last batch I bought.

I think that you've hit a double whammy there; Pre-ground coffee is a big no-no and anything past the 1 month mark will most likely be stale.
    If you can eliminate those two variables first, that'll be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by charzy View Post
    I think that you've hit a double whammy there; Pre-ground coffee is a big no-no and anything past the 1 month mark will most likely be stale.
    If you can eliminate those two variables first, that'll be a good start.
    The third whammy is not having control of the grind settings.

Quote Originally Posted by byomiffy View Post
    Id love some help as Im confident with some leads from the Snobs - Ill be able to have a crack at fixing this. So my EM7000 is working BUT - even though very well tamped and using correctly ground coffee - is virtually coloured water. There is little to no pressure on the gauge and that seems correct as the water rushes through the grinds. I have ensured the group head is clear of coffee and tightly put into place too. Also - the milk is frothing and the gauge is working but indicating the correct temp milk - when the milk is still only tepid.

The result is a tepid, super weak 'coffee'. The machine is only 18 months old and I have never descaled or replaced any seals. (I only say those things as Ive just had a look through the only manual and am sure I have to descale - and hope that might be a solution - so if you have tips on how to do this without purchasing from Sunbeam the recommended tablets (too many public holidays til I can get one delivered from Sunbeam)

Thanks in advance
    Louise
    Evening Louise,

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

The replies you have received are pretty well on the money.

Roasted coffee beans go stale quickly once ground, freshly roasted beans ground in the evening and left in a doser will be stale and almost undrinkable by the following morning.

Suggest buying a grinder and only buy sufficient fresh beans to last about a fortnight, provided there is not a problem with the machine these changes should make quite a difference to your result.

Good luck.