Thread: Sunbeam EM6910 - Group Head leaking after brew seal replacement

Sunbeam EM6910 - Group Head leaking after brew seal replacement

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello everyone,

My Sunbeam EM6910 has recently started leaking around the group head while brewing it is only just over 12 months old.
    I have tried all the following...

• Group head cleaning both programmed and physical.
    • Descaling.
    • Replaced group head brew seal.
    • Adjusted the grind and dosing.
    • Inspected the group head collar appears fine with no distortion.

With the new seal in place the tension between the filter handle and filter cup becomes firm not at the 90 degree as usual but way passed to the right triangle indicator on the thermoblock.
    I looked at the exploded parts view online and I have a flat spacer washer between the upper and inner shower screen which does not appear in any other documentation.
    Can someone tell me that has this unit if they also have the same silver flat spacer washer it would be very much appreciated?
    I may have to contact Sunbeam Service Help Line but any other suggestions from fellow forum members would be great.

Many thanks

What type of condition is the metal surface behind the seal?

I once had a 6910 that was quite corroded back there. It took a lot of wire brushing etc to smooth it out. After that it was fine.

Also, your new seal may not be a genuine part and may be slightly thinner than the original. If you still have the original you could compare the two. A shim or two under the seal may get the handle locking in the right position and cure the leak.

I can't ever recall an extra washer under the shower screen but can't see that it would cause any problems. Most people tend to over-tighten the retaining screw and distort the screen and it would possibly help prevent this. Does your lower screen have a countersunk depression around the screw hole?

Trev

Btw you can make a shim from corrugated cardboard. Cheap and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    I looked at the exploded parts view online and I have a flat spacer washer between the upper and inner shower screen which does not appear in any other documentation.
    Can someone tell me that has this unit if they also have the same silver flat spacer washer it would be very much appreciated?
    I have the same problem as OP. I have a mystery metal washer that is not mentioned in any manuals, forums or images online.

My blue head seal also had a thin blue washer that was attached to the top round face of the seal. I ordered another official seal online and it did not come with this washer so I peeled it off the original and threw it out.

Lately I have had issues with grind creeping up the side of the basket so I took the shower head apart, cleaned it and removed the metal washer. Now my unit leaks everywhere.

Here are some images showing you the washer, how much grind I put in, what happens when I pour and the basket afterwards.

https://imgur.com/a/yibW6hV
    https://imgur.com/uv4ycOM

Stamped "1617" at the back.

I can't edit the above post and the link above for the washer got caught up with the URL of the album so if you click on it you get taken to the album. The actual link is:
    https://imgur.com/uv4ycOM

Hey,

Just wanted to mention that I had the same issue after installing a new seal. First, I had been careless installing the seal, I didn't make sure the two parts of the screen were *individually* inserted into the seal before putting it back in place. Did that - still got a leak, although not as bad.

Next stage - made myself a cardboard washer and re-fitted. Boom. Fixed.

PF handle now sits just slightly to the right and there are no leaks. My machine had been sitting doing nothing (wife likes french press coffee, so I was drinking that) but when I fixed this seal up, I started paying more attention to some of the tips I read on here. Specifically, I checked the dose amount in my 22 Basket with the 5 cent coin. As it turns out, I think I've been over dosing. (never tested before installing the cardboard washer). So I cut the dose back and measured the weight. 20g.

Now I keep the same routine:

• grind about 10g into the PF
    • quick shake to distribute
    • 1 very light tamp
    • grind the next 10g into PF
    • Quick shake
    • Full tamp and polish.

Trying to keep all the variables consistent I've realized is vital to getting a good shot with minimal wastage when you change beans or the humidity jumps up or down.

So - I've ordered some beans from beanbay which are now sitting at the post office for me to collect. Looking forward to (hopefully!) pulling some great tasting shots.

Ps I'm using Sunbeam 480 grinder - currently set to 12. With these beans I'll be picking up later today, is it likely I'll need to make the grind courser for these fresher beans?
    I've got more questions re buying a 15 or 22 VST basket.....but I'll start a new thread.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frankyg View Post
    Ps I'm using Sunbeam 480 grinder - currently set to 12. With these beans I'll be picking up later today, is it likely I'll need to make the grind courser for these fresher beans?
    If they're a completely different bean there's no way to know what the grind setting change will be. Within each bean and roast you will generally need to grind finer as it ages, but different beans will need wildly different settings to achieve the same grind size.

I've got more questions re buying a 15 or 22 VST basket.....but I'll start a new thread.....
    You could start a new thread, or you could continue this one with some background information as to your equipment and general experience. Up to you.

Hey,

Just wanted to mention that I had the same issue after installing a new seal. First, I had been careless installing the seal, I didn't make sure the two parts of the screen were *individually* inserted into the seal before putting it back in place. Did that - still got a leak, although not as bad.

Next stage - made myself a cardboard washer and re-fitted. Boom. Fixed.
    I just made 2 cardboard spacer/shims tonight out of playing cards (edges a bit thinner as wasnt wide enough) but put them in and now it locks in at 6 o'clock.

Still not happy as it was a fairly new machine but problem fixed I guess. I might take it into Sunbeam care when I can be bothered to find out about the 2 mystery washers.