Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jace522

Thread: ASCASO Steel Uno repair and spare parts question

Exclamation ASCASO Steel Uno repair and spare parts question

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,
    My first post in what looks like a great forum for coffee lovers.

I have an ASCASO Steel Uno Coffee Machine which I purchased second hand a year or so ago.

We use it every day and it makes a pretty good coffee.

THE ISSUE
    I recently left the machine turned on all day (10 hours or so) and when my wife went to use it the next day it immediately tripped our house safety switch.
    This is persistent and happens immediately after the machine’s power switch is turned on. There was water in the machine / it did not run dry.

I prefer to fix things myself wherever possible so have opened up the machine and tested a number of things (switches, pump & heating element so far).

I did a continuity test between the heating element posts which passed (good continuity between the +/- posts and no continuity between either post and the boiler body).
    However I also turned on the machine with the heating element disconnected and the safety switch is no longer tripped. I can even run water through the group head with the heater unplugged. Once the heater element is plugged back in the problem is back.

I have now taken the heating element out of the machine and inspected it. The inside of the boiler had some minor lime spots but was reasonably clean.
    There is no obvious damage to the heating element but to me it seems a bit heavy (not sure if these are fluid filled or not).

What I now suspect is that it has a very small pin prick hole that is not easily visible and that it has ingested water into the interior of the element providing a short or additional resistance which is tripping the safety switch. The only problem with this theory is that there is no continuity between the posts and the copper jacket.

I also measured the resistance of the element which was 42.8 Ohms which seems just a little low to me. It is a 230v 1100w machine so should be more like 48.1.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what the issue might be?

PARTS PROBLEM
    Based on the above I am ready to just try another heating element to see if it fixes the problem (unless this seems like a dumb move??). However I am having difficulty finding spare parts. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to source ASCASO spare parts (I am based in Melbourne but anywhere from within Australia would be fine).

Thanks a lot for any advice you can provide.

Di Bartoli do Ascaso parts. If it's not on their website then send an email or call.

You will need a new element. The element insulation has been compromised which will not show up on a regular resistance test, you would need to perform a high voltage insulation test which is not a feature on standard multimeters.

With the element resistance discrepancy, attribute this to age or manufacturing tolerances, I wouldn't worry about it anyway seeing as you're going to be replacing it.

I second noidle22.

Thanks noidle22 & level3ninja,

I guess the failure of the insulation only shows up under high voltage such as when the on switch is open. Feeling more confident the element is the issue now - thanks.

Only problem now is the part. I actually contacted Di Bartoli earlier today and they said they don’t stock the part. They do stock the ASCASO Steel Duo element but the seals and contact posts are different and it has 3 rather than 4 loops on the coil so I don’t think this will do it.

I have put a pic of the Uno element and the model details below.

Do you know of any other suppliers I can try?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace522 View Post
    I guess the failure of the insulation only shows up under high voltage such as when the on switch is open.
    Yeah it'll be a relatively small problem in the insulation so it won't show up with a passive resistance test. Think examining an empty hose for leaks visually compared to hooking it up to the tap and measuring how much water comes out. Also it's when the main switch is closed, if it's open the machine is off .

I can only suggest using the quote form to contact all sponsors, or could Di Bartoli order it in for you? I agree that the element they have won't work for you.

I would be surprised ( and dissapointed) if DiBartoli couldnt source the correct part for you or direct you to someone who can.
    i know Jet Black Espresso in Sydney carry some Ascaso spares.
    .....otherwise Google is your friend !

Thanks for the advice Blend52.

I called Di Bartoli (I had previously only emailed) and they couldn’t help as they don’t stock the parts but that they did give me contact details for Pelican Rouge in Melbourne. Leanne there was really helpful, sending me the right parts diagram to ensure we get the order right. They are willing and able to import all Ascaso parts.

It will be a 2-4 week wait for the order so I added extra parts to do a full service (shower, group seal, boiler seal, new seals for the steam wand etc.). All 13 items including the heating element were less than $80!! Very happy customer so far.

I will post again once the part are in and the machine back together.
    Dimal and LeroyC like this.