Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JayRad

Thread: Breville BES870 Issues

Breville BES870 Issues

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    SOS Please help. I have no good coffee near my home or work and my coffee machine is dying.

I have a Breville BES870 which can pull a pretty mean brew and has done for several years but its on its last legs. Being the type of guy to fix stuff rather than replace stuff I'm going to give it a crack but not being familiar with the inner workings I'm trying to narrow down the problem.

My symptoms are....

1. Sometimes, on pouring a two cup shot the pressure will not rise above pre-infusion. my work around to this is to begin pouring a manual double shot by holding the button down and releasing it when the machine would usually increase pressure. If I do this the machine does in fact gain pressure and continues as per normal.

2. More often than not, the shots run on. Ive let it run a few times just to see what happens and I end up with a full cup. I have tried resetting to factory and I have also tried setting a manual length. Neither of which worked. My work around is to manually stop the shot but I've found that every time this happens the coffee tastes burnt and crap.

I was thinking it may be the solenoid, but being no expert and contemplating replacing the single most expensive spare part in the machine I thought id get some opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Any rattling when using the shot buttons?
    Suggest try using Evo instead of a cleaning tablet. Partially worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenK View Post
    Any rattling when using the shot buttons?
    Suggest try using Evo instead of a cleaning tablet. Partially worked for me.
    Thanks for the reply, I opened it up last night, the pipes are clear so I'm not thinking it's a scale issue...

there is no abnormal rattling when using the shot buttons.

Im thinking it may be the solenoids? What do you think? It seems to be unable to recognise when to finish the shot. Or could it be the control board? Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JayRad View Post
    SOS Please help. I have no good coffee near my home or work and my coffee machine is dying.

I have a Breville BES870 which can pull a pretty mean brew and has done for several years but its on its last legs. Being the type of guy to fix stuff rather than replace stuff I'm going to give it a crack but not being familiar with the inner workings I'm trying to narrow down the problem.

My symptoms are....

1. Sometimes, on pouring a two cup shot the pressure will not rise above pre-infusion. my work around to this is to begin pouring a manual double shot by holding the button down and releasing it when the machine would usually increase pressure. If I do this the machine does in fact gain pressure and continues as per normal.

Thanks in advance.

What pressures are you getting on the extraction guage when doing a backflush using the disk with cafetto etc?

Full pressure. Nothing out of the ordinary there. I will double check that tomorrow though

Quote Originally Posted by slipslopslap View Post
    What pressures are you getting on the extraction guage when doing a backflush using the disk with cafetto etc?
    Yep, nothing abnormal there. Full pressure on the cleaning cycle.

Same problem with BES870

Hi did you find the problem with your BES870, mine has started to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRad View Post

My symptoms are....

2. More often than not, the shots run on. Ive let it run a few times just to see what happens and I end up with a full cup. I have tried resetting to factory and I have also tried setting a manual length. Neither of which worked. My work around is to manually stop the shot but I've found that every time this happens the coffee tastes burnt and crap.

I was thinking it may be the solenoid, but being no expert and contemplating replacing the single most expensive spare part in the machine I thought id get some opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrePaul View Post
    Hi did you find the problem with your BES870, mine has started to do the same thing.

Mate i I took it all apart (pretty handy bloke that knows nothing about coffee machines) and I couldn’t find anything obviously in need of repair. All the lines were unobstructed etc so I ran some cleaning tablets through it as per manufacturer instructions. But I ran about 3 or 4 through until the water coming out had no visible signs of debris. Seemed to fix the problem as it has not returned.
    WarrenK likes this.