Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By artman
  • 2 Post By BrissyBrew
  • 4 Post By petzkak

Thread: Anything better than the Breville BES920 for around $1000

Anything better than the Breville BES920 for around $1000

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey All,

I'm looking for a machine for home use. It will mostly be used on the weekends to make milk based coffees, with the occasional coffee during the week (I have my daily coffee at work). For the most part it will make 1-2 coffees at a time, but when entertaining it will have to make more.

I've been able to find the Breville BES920 for $800 (best buys on eBay). Based on what I've read on these forums, that seems like a good deal.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend anything better for around the $1000 (give or take). Ideally I'd want a machine with either a HX or dual boiler.

Thank you in advance.

For the convenience of cranking out numerous milk drinks in a row a DB or HX is the go. For that price the only thing I can think of is a lelit or Silvia, both are single boiler though. Which is fine for a couple of milk drinks in one hit.

Or, get something used. Good gear here pops up regularly. Don't forget to factor in a decent grinder.

Once you have some good beans and get your shots right you won't be getting your coffee at with (unless you work in a good cafe), that's my guess!

Cheers
    greenman, matth3wh and LeroyC like this.

Anything better than the Breville BES920 for around $1000

+1 to what artman has said. You won't beat that price for a new machine, you'd need to look at second hand. If you're happy to do that then it's worth a look, especially the For Sale section here on Coffee Snobs as most stuff for sale here will be well cared for. But if you want new and are happy with the Breville then it's a good buy at that price. It's capable of making excellent coffee.
    The thing with the Breville (and Sunbeam) machines is that they have more electronics than basic European consumer machines and lack the build quality. There's no reason they can't last for a long time, but it's really important that you care for them well as they don't handle much punishment. So make sure you use it gently - don't overfill the basket, don't over tighten the group handle, clean it well and often. Do these things and it will return the favour.
    Don't let it get to the point where it looks like this -

Currently on my second Breville bes870. First one lasted a disappointingly short 3 years but made 5k very drinkable coffees, had spent $700. In the country and thought of getting Italian type machine but distance to get serviced put me off that. Decided to stay with "the devil I know". Second one cost $800 with 5 year new for old warranty which I now regard as essential for this consumer type machine. I regard equpment cost of $160 per year as more than reasonable for 6 coffees a day. Not really an enthusiast, just require regular coffees. Love the long blacks it produces which are better than most I can buy, so buy cappuccinos when out to hide the off tastes. Wife drinks lattes made with almond milk which micro froths to perfection. Considered dual boiler issue but find with my routine am seldom waiting on the machine, but making two coffees three times a day is hardly time consuming, different matter if making for ten.

If you are inclined this way and live in Melbourne or Sydney you might be able to pickup the Breville BES920 at a greatly reduced price from their factory seconds store in around Ultimo. I believe you get full factory warranty.

I have taken a punt with a retailer on eBay selling second hand BES920 that has been serviced with 4 months warranty $550 delivered. I have had a BES900 great when it worked, a disposable item when it doesn't. I might get a better machine next time the BES920 dies, really looking for a DB with a rotary pump but a profitec 700 is way more than a used BES920.
    matth3wh and level3ninja like this.

If i was to get another machine, i would consider the silvia or lelit at that price range.

I sourced a ponte vecchio overseas from italy for just under the 1k (delivered), but now the AUD isnt going to well against the other currencies and i got the machine on special so i wouldn't probably do it again (also you have to pay tax on items above 1k). Also it will be interesting when it comes time to service it as i will have to get parts from OS and have a go myself, granted it is basically a boiler with a lever I had a laugh.

Hey All,

Thanks for your replies. I ended up going for the BES920 and Breville Smart Grinder combo hard to go past at just under $1000. Look forward to setting it up and having a play this weekend....