• 1 Post By SideBuRn
  • 1 Post By SideBuRn
  • 1 Post By SideBuRn
  • 1 Post By ggoosen
  • 1 Post By SideBuRn

Thread: Breveille BES 900 Solanoid and seal replacment

Breveille BES 900 Solanoid and seal replacment

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Any handy snobs out there that have replaced the solanoid to start the pump on the Breville BES900.

Also, do you know where to get the parts from?

Ive recently upgraded to another machine, but wouldnt mind paying it forward to give my Breville to someone.

This is a video of what happens when i try start the pump, happy for someone to correct me if this is not the solanoid.

THe other item for replacement, i think there are rubber seals on the top of the boilers, one seems to be leaking. I can hear a hissing sound coming out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOK-_bVupQA

I have had my dual boiler apart a few times and have replaced the solenoid gasket before as shown on BES900 replacing solenoid gasket Nic's Stuff
    I watched your video and mine never behaved like that, I just felt that the gasket might not have been 100% and needed changing. As for parts, once apart there is always googling the specific part number to see if you can get a price or buy online or do as I did and find out who was my local/regional breville service center and contact them direct for the parts. I found a rough idea on the gasket price and found the local guy to be right on the money with no need for shipping. I did find this you tube video and it is a great demonstration of how to tear the machine down, its also the method I used for changing the gasket.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG5i7LxZBbk

Quote Originally Posted by SideBuRn View Post
    I have had my dual boiler apart a few times and have replaced the solenoid gasket before as shown on BES900 replacing solenoid gasket Nic's Stuff
    I watched your video and mine never behaved like that, I just felt that the gasket might not have been 100% and needed changing. As for parts, once apart there is always googling the specific part number to see if you can get a price or buy online or do as I did and find out who was my local/regional breville service center and contact them direct for the parts. I found a rough idea on the gasket price and found the local guy to be right on the money with no need for shipping. I did find this you tube video and it is a great demonstration of how to tear the machine down, its also the method I used for changing the gasket.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG5i7LxZBbk
    Thanks for the reply; I watched that video the other day which gave me courage to try fix it myself. Phoning the local service
    Depot the solenoid replacement is $80 so that may be an option, but others have suggested cleaning the solenoid first, so I may try that.

Will keep you all posted

Definitely go for a clean first, I paid about $10 for a new solenoid seal. It might be worth trying to bench test the solenoid, it could be the pump that is the issue and it would be a shame to replace the solenoid if it is just a pump problem.

Whilst it is apart check out the pump, there may be scale or a blockage that you may be able to clear and flush
    ggoosen likes this.

Definitely go for a clean first, I paid about $10 for a new solenoid seal. It might be worth trying to bench test the solenoid, it could be the pump that is the issue and it would be a shame to replace the solenoid if it is just a pump problem.
    Yep, solenoid runs normal ac 220/240v right?

And I'm testing to ensure it engages the valve?

check on the black body of the solenoid for the voltage, I cant remember the voltage. With the black part slid off the solenoid valve you should have magnetism within the hole when powered up. If this is fine then a good clean and/or strip down of the valve is needed. Once cleaned you could check the operation by blowing air through the lines to see it opening and closing when powering up the solenoid. Be careful around electricity, work on a non conductive dry bench and power everything through a really good RCD protected power point. Use common sense and unplug everything before putting your hands into it, maybe invest in a small volt meter for testing. good luck
    ggoosen likes this.

Sideburn, opened it all up today and struggling to understand where the working parts are. When stripping the solenoid there is a nut and then the shaft comes out of the solenoid. Once that's out can it be further stripped and cleaned? It sort of looks like the inner part should be able to move in the outer?

I pulled mine apart to refresh my memory. Remove the black body off the stem and this is the unit you could try and power up to check for magnetism (I would find this unlikely as it should be fairly bullitt proof if it visually look okay with no signs of heat damage or swelling)
    You should be able to blow through the stem with the top tube off.
    Last edited by SideBuRn; 6th June 2017 at 08:38 AM.

20170606_064100.jpg
    Black OLAB 6000BH/L5FV Solenoid valve, remove tube and 4 screws. this is where the seal and two small tube type washes that can be replaced is, also clean scale off this surface (as below)
    20170606_061905.jpg
    you should be able to blow through where the tube at the top attaches
    20170606_061932.jpg20170606_062017.jpg
    I placed the stem base in the vice and it came apart okay with a shifter. Inside is the spring and slider, it should all move freely. Hope this helps
    ggoosen likes this.

THANKS!
    These pictures are exactly what i was looking for.

I was wondering if the tube detaches from the base, as the nut was pretty tight.

Il take it all apart and clean it up.

I have the seals coming for the probes going into the steam boiler as well.
    SideBuRn likes this.

Look forward to hearing how you get on, hopefully it starts pumping for you.

hahaha good to see I still get around

In other news, if you are going to pull it apart check the seals in the boilers. I spent two days pulling it apart trying to find a leak, turns out it's probably the seals, waiting for some to turn up from aliexpress.

Quote Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
    hahaha good to see I still get around

In other news, if you are going to pull it apart check the seals in the boilers. I spent two days pulling it apart trying to find a leak, turns out it's probably the seals, waiting for some to turn up from aliexpress.

Which seals are those Shapeshifter? I am already replacing the orings in the steam boiler.

WOW! There is no way that thing unscrews. I had it in the vice... still couldn't loosen it.

Did you have any more luck ggoosen? If you give your spanner a bit of a knock to the handle as you are applying pressure, it might be enough to loosen it. Can you blow air through the solenoid or is it junked up?

Did you have any more luck ggoosen? If you give your spanner a bit of a knock to the handle as you are applying pressure, it might be enough to loosen it. Can you blow air through the solenoid or is it junked up?
    The valve seemed clear so didn't Carry on; machine is working fine now

Thanks for all the help

that's good to hear, these machines love a little attention now again and then they plug on strong for ages. Mine has been taken to work now that I have my Minore and I keep it in my work bench, now I always get good coffee at home and work. I saw your other thread just after I posted before, good luck with the sale it will be a good buy.
    ggoosen likes this.

I've just stripped down the solenoid valve as it started going continuously.
    No gasket!!
    I'll ring Bravo in Sydney as I bought it off them 2nd hand a 2 or 3 years ago, supposedly refurbished, and ask them why no gasket. Maybe they will send me one free , otherwise Big Warehouse. If still a problem, I'll replace the solenoid itself.
    I'm missing my morning real coffee fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyjack View Post
    I've just stripped down the solenoid valve as it started going continuously.
    No gasket!!
    I'll ring Bravo in Sydney as I bought it off them 2nd hand a 2 or 3 years ago, supposedly refurbished, and ask them why no gasket. Maybe they will send me one free , otherwise Big Warehouse. If still a problem, I'll replace the solenoid itself.
    I'm missing my morning real coffee fix.
    So the rubber section is missing? Wow how did it even work?

You can order the gasket set seperate

when I first replaced the gasket with the large white square one, there was no gasket in there. I have read that there was a change in design from two small o rings that were originally used. apparently when they were worn and went then the pieces would be sucked through and leave nothing remaining. apparently

Hi Guys,

I bought this machine last week and unfortunately it's doing the exact same thing as in that first video now. It's been working on and off the past few days, pressure has been up and down - was told maybe that was caused by the beans I had.

I've cleaned the whole machine, put a new charcoal filter in it before I used it, run a cleaning tablet through it, filled it with fresh cold filtered water but still no luck....

I'm comfortable replacing components however not sure what to replace, while I've got it open i'd like to replace anything that will help give it more life.

I'm thinking pump, solenoid valve, is it worth replacing the OPV or is that not relevant right now?

Anything else anyone can think of?

Would it be best to open it up and get the numbers off the pump or does someone have a model number/specs for the pump that I can google around for on aliexpress or wherever?

Thanks in advance.
    Ben