Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By JImbo599
  • 1 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By matth3wh
  • 1 Post By JImbo599

Thread: Help! Breville BES870

Help! Breville BES860

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I've had this machine for at least 7 years with no problems. Recently, the steam wand was losing pressure. I gave everything a good clean and it worked fine for a few weeks. Now it's losing pressure again. I also noticed the steam is coming out of the head. Any ideas on what the issue might be? Cheers.
    Last edited by JImbo599; 11th June 2017 at 11:17 AM.
    southsecurities likes this.

Noidle may be able to chime in and help Jimbo.

My friend started playing up in a similar way to yours after about 5 years. He ended up getting another from the Breville outlet store. I'm going to have a go at pulling it apart.

Thanks. Yeh tried that. Pulled it apart but didn't know what the hell was what so put it all back together again. Odd that I gave it a good clean, which I regularly do, and it worked ok. Been playing up again so cleaned it but it didn't help this time.

On these machines it's usually some flakes of scale on the three way solenoid plunger. These machines in particular are very temperamental when it comes to scale. I always advise using good quality filtered water so as to avoid this issue.

To verify this you will need to remove the three way solenoid, take off the coil then unscrew the plunger body. Once you're in there you should see something like what you can see in the photo I've attached. The photo is from a three year old BES870 that was used heavily.

Once you have removed the scale flakes, reassemble the machine and it should work again, however, this happening is indicative of a larger scale problem in the thermocoil.
    You should run a descale immediately with quality descaler, i.e. Cafetto Restore or the like (not vinegar).

What can happen though is during the normal use of the machine, more flakes of scale will peel off the thermocoil and move down the system and get into the solenoid again and will cause the same problem.
    When this happens you can run another descale and it should hopefully move the scale flakes off the solenoid plunger. If not, you need to disassemble it again and manually remove the flakes.

The only remedy to this if it keeps happening is to replace the thermocoil. They're fairly expensive, around $150, but it's really the only guaranteed solution.
    Once done, I would advise using quality filtered water.

IMG_20170606_111318[1].jpg
    matth3wh likes this.

Really appreciate your help and the pics Noidle. ⭐️

Now... are you within beer / coffee buying range?
    inorog likes this.

Thanks for the help. Will give it a go and report back. Do use filtered water in it now, but not for the first couple of years. Have had a good run out of it, hopefully this will sort it. Cheers.
    matth3wh likes this.

Using this thread as the title and prior posts are similar. My 16 month old machine has started to have a rattling sound when using the shot button for the first coffee after switching on. Still working but I know from my prior experience with my first machine, that lasted 3 years, it will only get worse and eventually fail in about 6 months. Is there anything simple I can do to fix? Alternatively I just wait for it to seize and claim on the 5 year extended warranty.

I was reminded of this thread today and coincidentally my friend mentioned the machine on Saturday night. I'd asked him several times to have a go at fixing it but he had renovated his garage area and had packed it away. He got it out the other day to find an insect invasion - new Breville ant's nest. Exciting new home for insects. Job done. :-D