Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Magic_Matt
  • 1 Post By artman
  • 1 Post By Dimal

Thread: Trouble with Napolitana

Trouble with Napolitana

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I have a Pavoni Napolitana (lelit PL42) and it's in need of some help.

The unit acts as if it clogged but here are the symptoms.

1. water pump line and return.
    When the unit does not have water, the pump siphons water in and eventually the unit is full, but no water ever returns through the return line.

2. Steam stem is full of water
    when the unit is full of water, the steam stem is full. I can push as much water as I want out of the steam stem as long as the pump is running.

3. Water out of the head
    There is no water that comes out of the head, unless I have removed enough water from the steam stem. Then the pump runs and water comes out of the head, until the unit hits that clog point and it stops.

Any idea what might be the problem?

Thank you!

Probably some anchovies and olives clogging the lines... 🤔
    Shortyesquire likes this.

Could be the solenoid valve sticking. If you can activate the pump and get flow of water through the open steam valve it points to the solenoid.

Cheers
    ggenovez likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Could be the solenoid valve sticking. If you can activate the pump and get flow of water through the open steam valve it points to the solenoid.

Cheers
    Thank you Artman,

I don't beleive there is a solenoid valve. water goes from the pump to the T connector with the OPV return and the boiler. Boiler is connected to the steam valve.

Last night I took apart the OPV and cleaned it. Now I'm getting water to return.

I think I have a clogged screen. I dont get water out when it's in coffee mode, but when I heat up with steam and turn on coffee, I get a few drops of water to come out the head.

Ah, you have the old style with a little group valve? Under the shower screen there will be a round thing that looks like it needs a massive flat screwdriver to undo. It's basically a rubber seal with a spring.
    Sounds like it needs a clean.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyjj21 View Post
    Ah, you have the old style with a little group valve? Under the shower screen there will be a round thing that looks like it needs a massive flat screwdriver to undo. It's basically a rubber seal with a spring.
    Sounds like it needs a clean.
    AWESOME! Thank you!!!

Ok, when you say clean it, just take the spring, rubber and nut and put it in vinegar or something? or deeper than that?

Thank you!

Usually it's coffee oils clogging the machinism, so your standard cleaners do the job. I often just give it a good wipe with a rag and wash the rubber bits with dishwashing liquid just because I don't want to soak the rubber in a highly alkaline coffee cleaning solution for a long period.

OK. Definitely getting closer.

I took it apart and looked at the metal part and it was not clogged. I cleaned it out though. the rubber and spring look ok. I flipped the unit over and ran it without the parts. Water came out when I pressed the coffee button. WOOHOO! I thought it was fixed.

Put everything back again and it still not flowing. it's like the pressure is too low to push the water out.

Am I looking at a new pump?

ok, probably not the pump. I turned it to coffee, opened the steam valve and hooked up a pressure gauge. it goes to 10. I got 10.

Any other thoughts?

Weird. I still think it's the group valve! There isn't much else if the pump pressure is good and the OPV is functioning. So... Assuming the group valve is blocked/jammed, close the steam valve, turn on the brew switch and check if water comes out the OPV return hose. It should! If not, then get back to us...

Quote Originally Posted by timmyjj21 View Post
    wash the rubber bits with dishwashing liquid just because I don't want to soak the rubber in a highly alkaline coffee cleaning solution for a long period.
    Actually, you're better off to use Espresso Clean or similar, rather than a general purpose detergent, as components of the GP Detergent can bond molecularly with the surface of the rubber parts and effect the quality of the resulting espresso. With Espresso Clean (et al.), you just rinse it off with fresh water and you're good to go...

Mal.
    artman likes this.

As above. And the espresso cleaners do an amazing job of dissolving the coffee oils etc. one tub will last many many years.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Actually, you're better off to use Espresso Clean or similar, rather than a general purpose detergent, as components of the GP Detergent can bond molecularly with the surface of the rubber parts and effect the quality of the resulting espresso. With Espresso Clean (et al.), you just rinse it off with fresh water and you're good to go...

Mal.
    Good to know. I always assumed it might degrade the rubber at a faster rate.

Only need to soak parts in warm water with Espresso Clean for no more that 1/2Hr tops and then rinse off with cold water. Does a great job...

Mal.

OK, here is an update.

If it lock everything up and set the steam setting, I can see water coming out of the return.

I left the valve group loose, to the point I can get water to come out. Unfortunately I don't have any cleanser but I am using vinigar until my order comes in from amazon. I'm running pure white vinegar through the system. It looks like it's getting better because I can start to tighten the valve spring and its moving in the right direction.

Hopefully whatever buildup has occurred this will fix it.

Any other ideas would be appreciated

Ooh. Straight vinegar? Might be a bit potent, but brass is pretty resistant. The proper coffee cleanser will strip the old oils and gunk away better, as.the issue may not be due to scale buildup.

okay. Descaler didn't work Think I need a new spring and seat? if so where can I get one states side? or can it be the pump?