Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By sacsnob
  • 1 Post By coffeejess
  • 1 Post By Crema_Lad
  • 1 Post By Melbroaster

Thread: Breville ? Lelit? Looking for machine around $1000

Breville ? Lelit? Looking for machine around $1000

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am an aeropress user that wants to upgrade to get more cafe like flavour.

I only drink a few coffees a day, usually lattes, but if I could get a great espresso alone I think I'd drink more of those.

I'd like something that doesn't take up a lot of space on my kitchen counter, is all in one if possible (as I don't have extra room for grinders and things) and naturally can make a great cup.

I was considering the Breville Barista Express, but I hear a lot of people mentioning the Breville Dual Boiler too - but I understand I'd have to get a grinder for that, right?

A few sponsors have been kind enough to recommend the Lelit which look awesome, but someone mentioned that I might not be able to get it serviced here in WA?

Thoughts? I'd like to buy something soon but don't want to get something that I will want to replace in a year either.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

For that money you really cant do better than a sunbeam 7000 and the best grinder your money will buy, something like a macap m2m. Any attempt for home espresso requires a grinder

BES820 has builtin grinder and costs a lot less than $1000. Another option is Lelit Combi. Breville Dual Boiler is great however if you're cramped for space it might not be suitable for you, It needs a separate grinder.

Bes820 doesn't have a grinder. Its steam performance is also terrible, and I wouldn't consider it for someone that wants to produce milk drinks

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    Bes820 doesn't have a grinder. Its steam performance is also terrible, and I wouldn't consider it for someone that wants to produce milk drinks
    BES870. ugh.
    Crema_Lad and coffeejess like this.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by sacsnob View Post
    BES820 has builtin grinder and costs a lot less than $1000. Another option is Lelit Combi. Breville Dual Boiler is great however if you're cramped for space it might not be suitable for you, It needs a separate grinder.
    Its the BES870 with built in grinder To the OP it would be worth reading the owners thread here on CS as think there have been some common issues with them experienced by owners.

I for one am not a fan of built in grinders (as you will find many reference here that the grinder is even more important to good coffee than the machine, so its likely you would eventually upgrade your grinder 1st at some point). If you can manage it fit wise and if still available the Breville ess920 dual boiler along with the Breville Smart Grinder Pro BCG820 can be had for @ $880 purchased as separates when recurring sales pop up on evil bay. They're now officially sold together as a package under model BEP920 "Dynamic Duo" for around $1300.
    Both machine and grinder are well regarded by fellow C'Snobs.

The Lelit Combi looks a great unit but being a single boiler machine you may have some delays between coffee and milk steaming, particularly if making a few milk based drinks at a time. Not to say it won't produce a good latte, just something to be wary of over the 'dual boiler' or 'twin themoblock' setup of the Breville/Sunbeam that allow coffee brew and steam simultaneously. Something to consider for its value/convenience in your decision making!
    Last edited by Crema_Lad; 12th July 2017 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I have a bit more research to do! I need to see if I can fit the grinder and machine side by side. I think not but worth measuring before I make up my mind!\

I'm leaning towards the Breville BEP920BSS... looks like a hot little combo.
    kbc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeejess View Post
    Thanks everyone. Looks like I have a bit more research to do! I need to see if I can fit the grinder and machine side by side. I think not but worth measuring before I make up my mind!\

I'm leaning towards the Breville BEP920BSS... looks like a hot little combo.
    FYI Myer have the bundle listed on eBay $1359 with 20% off if you're leaning that way. Happy Choosing!

$1000 or even under is closer to the money these days for the bundle...

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    $1000 or even under is closer to the money these days for the bundle...
    Where have you found it for that? If you can source them individually they sure work out cheaper but the average bundle price seems to be @ $1300. One online retailer who should know betta is trying to walk them out the door at $1799
    level3ninja likes this.

Keep an eye on ozbargain and between advertised offers and price matches both items for <$1,000 is certainly doable
    coffeejess likes this.