Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Magic_Matt
  • 1 Post By r0vvp
  • 1 Post By saeco_user

Thread: Bes870

Question Bes870

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey All,

Please go easy on me, I'm coming from an Aldi Expressi pod machine.

I decided to bite the bullet and get a real espresso machine. I didn't want to spend a heap so I went for a mid range machine being the Breville BES870.

Happy with the machine so far however I have a few questions.

Using the single walled double filter, I can not get a proper extraction. The pressure never goes above the "Pre Extraction" mark on the gauge. The extraction is way to short and does not look right at all.

To remedy this I switched to the double walled, double shot filter and the pressure gauge now hits dead centre in the Espresso mark. Extraction appears to match what was suggested in the guides and coffee comes out tasting pretty great (in comparison to what I am used to)

So what is the problem? I guess i just wanted some expert opinions. I am using Vitoria Espresso beans, which were on special (perhaps because they were older than normal?).

I realise supermarket beans can be problematic, as they are most likely older than 2-3 weeks.

A couple of questions I have.

1) The puck is soaked I can not tap it out of the filter after extraction. Is this because I am using the wrong filter?

2) Is the double shot pressure issue simply because I am using the wrong / stale beans? I tested using the single wall filter + courser grind + more grinds but this just made things worse and the pressure issue remained the same.

3) How should the 'Puck' look after extraction? Should it be soaked right to the bottom or should the bottom be relatively dry?

G'day r0vvp, no judgement here - my first post on this forum was a similar question about fixing a much cheaper sunbeam single thermoblock machine.

Your problems are all due to the beans - try fresh (2 weeks max) roasted beans from a local cafe or roaster, or mail order (if you're reading in a web browser, hit the BeanBay link for an award-winning selection ) and switch back to the single wall basket. You'll then likely need to play with grind settings to get a good extraction.

The puck should be damp but not wet all the way through - a bit of water on top isn't a problem unless the shot tastes bad. A double walled basket will often lead to sloppy or saturated grounds as the water is trapped, especially if you're using a fine grind. Double walled basket with stale coffee won't give you much better results than pods, and certainly isn't taking advantage of the capabilities of the BES 870!

Hey Magic_Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply.

That makes sense now with your clarification. I guess the good thing is I don't have many beans left (a lot wasted with trial and error, learning how the machine worked).

A bit of a waste of money, but all part of the journey.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to try some of the Coffee Snobs beans once I run through these
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by r0vvp View Post
    I tested using the single wall filter + courser grind + more grinds
    need to go the other way - finer grind. keep amount the same.
    even with stale beans you should be able to choke your machine (stop any flow at all) with a fine enough grind.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

I am on my second bes870 with 3+ years experience. I really like the convenience of this machine, but hate that the first one only lasted 3 years. I can be drinking my coffee in 5 minutes. V....... beans are next to useless in bes870. Throw them away, even the $11 Aldi beans work well.

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Agree with everything Matt has said.
    Many problems with all the things you mentioned can be diagnosed by going back to the basics.
    Weigh out your dosing - someone here will almost certainly know an approx grams for either basket you use.
    Use fresh beans (as Matt mentioned - the supermarket stuff will never extract properly).
    Then continue making adjustments to grind/tamp until you find something that works. I find it sometimes beneficial to go wayyyy too finer grind and choke the machine. At least you know its somewhere between where you were and that point.