• 2 Post By HalfSugarPlease
  • 1 Post By HalfSugarPlease
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 3 Post By Casa Espresso

Thread: PL60 v Oscar 2

PL60 v Oscar 2

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Been a long time lurker on these forums and have done a bit of research already. Currently have a Cafe Creme machine, and whilst it produces a good cup every now and then and definitely is not quality so looking to upgrade to a proper machine!
    With a budget of around $1500 the two that have caught my eye are the PL60 dual boiler and the Oscar 2.
    We only drink milk coffee, and about 2-4 coffees a day, more on the weekend. What i like about the PL60 is that it seems to have a quick start up time? Is the Oscar 2 just as quick or the usual 20-30mins?
    Also another big factor would be the ease of use. My missus will not want to go temp surfing or anything like that.

If there are any other machines in that range i would be happy to check them out as well. Im also based on the Sunshine Coast but happy to travel to Brisbane. I havnt found any sponsors in Brisbane, and i would like to have a look and play with the machines before buying if possible.

We also have this grinder at the moment, which i believe is the same as the smart grinder but less option? Would this still be suitable for the time being with a better machine?
    https://breville.com.au/collections/...nt=35148506514

Cheers
    matth3wh and lestone like this.

Bump. I'm interested in people's thoughts on this also.
    matth3wh likes this.

Maybe give site sponsor Casa espresso a call. I know they have the Oscar 2 so will be able to give some advice.

I was going to say the say the same re contact Anthony at Casa espresso or Charlie at Jet Black Espresso. Anthony has been very helpful with my Oscar 2 questions and JetBlack stick both machines your thinking about and both I believe could ship them to you. It may be small but make you account for buying a tamper, milk jug, blind filter and back flush cleaner as neither come with this stuff that you'll need.

my experience with my Oscar 2. Been really good, like the machine and its look. I like the lever operation (similarish to toggle switch I guess of leilt) for steam over rotatary knob style, just personal. Speaking of steam the Oscar 2 has plenty!
    sometimesi need a quick purge to clear over temp brew water but I'm use to it so no worries as use that to warm the cup.
    thought the timed (not volumetric timed) feature was good but never really use it as I weight the output. I have one button set to 6 seconds (3 seconds is preinfusion which can't change then 3 of water purge / flow) the other is set for 40+ seconds so if the flow of pour is slow I can let it run without stopping and get the size / weight I'm after. I'm sure you could set up for 30 seconds and use as timed shot but I change too much and I'll to try stuff so found the 30 seconds time too much hassle hence set it to long time and use as manual (press button to start and again to stop)

no experience with other machinces so for all I know the PL60 could blow the Oscar 2 away but ignorance is great and I'm enjoying my Oscar 2.

person thought the PL69 and Oscar 2 are very different looking machines in my mind so think of what you like better if that has any effect on the decision. I orginial wanted a E61 group style machine so when brought the Oscar 2 home my wife said that looks different to the picture you showed me ( wasn't a bad comment) but was deffinataly questioning the orange Eureka Mignon grinder when that snuck in from the garage!

gee sorry for long post, enjoy the shopping for new machine, I'm off the make another coffee!

cheers
    MB
    Crema_Lad likes this.

Hi Silentj and AjSars

Both of those machines will likely do what you want. NS Oscar II does have a quick warm up time of around 5-10 minutes. I've used a Lelit before and liked it. I currently use an Oscar II on a daily basis.

If you can, make a day of it and go try out both machines in person to get a feel for what the machines are like for you and your own expectations around what you want to do.

AjSars - RE: your Breville dose control grinder;
    It may do the job for you, so try it out with the new machine first and see what you think. But worth factoring in $400-$550 for a better grinder down the track if you have the money to spare.

Hope the following helps.

P.s. RE: OPV mod - I will hopefully get around to doing the OPV upgrade mod for the Oscar II on my coming RDO. I've said that a few times now but keep getting given jobs to do by my wife :-) Hopefully will be able to report back on this sometime soon.

The PL60 has:
    * fast warm up time
    * 57mm sized PF;
    * Dual boiler - 250ml brass brew boiler and 400ml steam boiler; smaller sized boilers to ensure they warm up quickly.
    * hot water spout - although with a 400ml steam boiler you probably won't want to draw out too much water for tea. There would then be a refill / brief wait period.
    * on / off brew button
    * steam boiler pressure gauge - lets you know when when steam pressure is up and ready to go.
    * Dimensions: 30cm wide, 37.5cm high, 28cm deep
    * Weight: 14.7 kg
    * 1200w heating elements
    * Water level control in the tank and automatic heating element cut off for low water.
    * Level probe to control the steam boiler level and switch for the steam boiler heating element.

The Oscar II has:
    * fast warm up time;
    * 2L boiler and uses a heat exchanger to deliver brew water.
    * NS quick flick easy steam lever;
    * Oscar II looks to have much faster steaming of milk
    * factory set pre-infusion of a couple seconds; slower ramp up of brew pressure.
    * 58mm sized PF.
    * Two time based brew start/stop buttons
    * Standby mode.
    * Dimensions (W x D x H) 30 x 41 x 40 cm
    * 1200w heating element
    * Weight ~13kg
    * 3L water tank
    * low water indicator and low water element cut out to protect machine

Oscar II does not have:
    * hot water spout

Summary

* You can set most machines with an on/off timer to be ready to greet you in the morning. Though both will be up and running quickly enough for improptu coffee making sessions.
    * If you ask the right sponsors very nicely you can likely get the Oscar II for a few hundred under the RRP with delivery
    * Also ask nicely and factor in some extra $ to get the OPV kit for the Oscar II. Sponsor could pre-install this for you.
    * From what I've seen the Oscar II will steam milk faster.
    * Stock, the Lelit will likely have better brew temp stability due to the smaller dedicated brew boiler.
    * From what I can see the Lelit appears to cost more everywhere I look, though you might be able to get a friendly site sponsor to drop the price a bit more. :-)
    * Lelit has more shiny stainless if that's your thing. Then again the Oscar II also has shiny side and front panels.
    * Internally both seem well laid out.

Personally I would not buy a DB without PID. If I have to pick 1 of the two here I'd go with OSCARII.

Have a talk to your CFO. The next one up in the Lelit range I believe is the Lelit PL60T / Diana dual boiler with PID and that goes for around $2000. :-)
    level3ninja and SpiceBean like this.

Silentj and AjSars,

The Oscar II certainly ticks the boxes as a great value HX machine.

We have been supplying Nuova Simonelli for over 9 years now and they are certainly going from strength to strength.

Matt has covered most of the technical features and specifications above. OPV is available as an optional fit along with a different shower screen screw. https://www.casaespresso.com.au/nuov...-oscar-ii.html

Feel free to call or DM if we can help

Regards

Antony
    CASA ESPRESSO
    (03) 9530 8992
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal and SpiceBean like this.

How do you turn over water in the boiler without a hot water spout? Does the lack of turnover lead to faster or more scale?

Good question Trenski. Good water should help somewhat. I also found in the other thread on the Oscar II they made it relatively easy to drain the boiler / descale. YouTube video on that.

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    How do you turn over water in the boiler without a hot water spout? Does the lack of turnover lead to faster or more scale?
    Matts find on how to drain the boiler for descaling or just to refresh the water,

https://youtu.be/x6HfGFWncdA

The Oscar now has a built in drain tap at the base of the boiler. Once the side panel is removed, undo the boiler plug and the boiler will drain.

Relatively easy process

Cheers

Antony
    CASAESPRESSO
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    matth3wh likes this.

Agreed, at this price point DB are no better than HX machines. I would go HX machine. I own a Lelit PL60, I would go an Oscar if I had to choose between these two.

Mike K

Quote Originally Posted by sacsnob View Post
    Personally I would not buy a DB without PID. If I have to pick 1 of the two here I'd go with OSCARII.
    matth3wh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiceBean View Post
    Agreed, at this price point DB are no better than HX machines. I would go HX machine. I own a Lelit PL60, I would go an Oscar if I had to choose between these two.

Mike K
    OP only makes milk coffee, DBs are probably no better than HX machines at any price point. more expensive to buy and maintain, more parts to go wrong in the long term, reduced milk steaming capacities, harder to descale, etc.
    matth3wh and SpiceBean like this.

Reduced milk steaming capacities? How do you figure that?

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Reduced milk steaming capacities? How do you figure that?
    Smaller steam boiler

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    Smaller steam boiler
    considering these specific models yes, but snacsnob seems to be generalising to other, more expensive machines - where it's anything but consistent for DBs to have smaller steam boilers than the corresponding HX models.

Can be a bit of a Furphy making those sorts of assumptions....

Critical information to know before making these statements, such as the volume of the Heat Exchanger, Optimal heating of the Brew Water Circuit, and the Design Volume of the water within the boiler to achieve satisfactory steam power and longevity.
    The Steam Boiler in a DB machine does not have to make such allowances and therefore, can be optimised to produce high volumes of high pressure steam as efficiently as possible. Which in 90% of cases, they do....

Much more than meets the eye with these sorts of comparisons, than just simple stated boiler volumes...

Mal.

Agree entirely.

Thanks for all the help posted here. Definitely seems like the Oscar 2 is a go, just need to convince the other half that its worth it! Still a month or so away from purchasing so hopefully i can find somewhere close by where i can have a test go.
    I was also wondering what an OPV kit is?
    Casa Espresso and matth3wh like this.

dmz
    Couple of videos if you haven't seen them... Lelit PL60T:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-KiJzO7exQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOqK0KqVM9M

Quote Originally Posted by ajsars View Post
    Thanks for all the help posted here. Definitely seems like the Oscar 2 is a go, just need to convince the other half that its worth it! Still a month or so away from purchasing so hopefully i can find somewhere close by where i can have a test go.
    I was also wondering what an OPV kit is?
    Regulates pump pressure.

I've also been debating over the Oscar 2, I'd say i'm 90% there. However, I've also been looking at the Bezzera BZ10 which is also in the same price vicinity ($1750).
    Casa Espresso and matth3wh like this.

Hi All

First post. Thank you all, after reading this forum for a number of weeks, I finally decided the best purchase for me was the Oscar II.

I have the Oscar for a couple of weeks now. I must say coming from Lelit Combi, it doesn't feel aesthetically pleasing as the Lelit, but other than that this machine has made a difference to my weekend coffee ritual (maybe the grinder helped too ..).

I make all milk based coffees, around 6 per day on the weekend (inc. babycinnos) and the Oscar breeze through them and the quality is of a high standard - especially the steam wand. I def recommend this machine. My wife also make the occasional coffee during the weekday.

The only criticism is that I personally don't like the looks of it as I don't like the plastic around the side and it is a bit bulky. But would I buy it again - YES.
    matth3wh and SpiceBean like this.

I just purchased the Oscar II and really enjoying it.

How easy is it to install the OPV and do you sell the shower screen screw separately as well?

If I install the OPV, I assume the warranty is void?

Thanks
    Casa Espresso likes this.

PL60 v Oscar 2

Hello halfsugar,

If the machine is purchased new from us we still offer full warranty with the OPV installation.
    We also change the shower head screw as a matter of course for Oscars that go out our door.

Feel free to contact us if we can help.

Regards
    Antony
    Casa Espresso
    Www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks Antony, unfortunately it was purchased elsewhere

No worries halfsugar, next time!
    Still here for information and advice if we can help

Cheers
    Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal, HalfSugarPlease and BLW like this.