Thread: How to remove grouphead gasket on Faema Family?

How to remove grouphead gasket on Faema Family?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I know some people here have/had the Faema Family machine, I'm hoping someone's still around to be able to clue me in on this basic question: how exactly do you remove the grouphead gasket? I bought a Family recently, and I would like to clean the gasket. (This means no screws in the gasket!) The grouphead on this machine does not disassemble into 2 pieces. So I can't see how to pull the gasket off, other than try to wedge a thin screwdriver in between the gasket and metal surround, and pry it out. Except the gasket sits flush, and very tightly against the surround. Plus, it is soft and I do not want to cut or shred it anywhere. I try to pry it out with a long thin screwdriver, it goes back in. Am I missing something, or is it just not removable without damaging it?

As the seal is soft and I assume still sealing ok, why do you want to remove it for cleaning?

Generally, cleaning the shower screen and the group head surface followed up by a chemical backflush should be enough for machines that are quite dirty.

It you still wanted to remove the seal, the method you mention is one way to do it as long as you're careful. Another method is using a right-angle pick, wedging it between the edge of the seal and the group head then twisting so it pushes the seal out from underneath.

You're right, its not worth the bother & risk to try to take the gasket out, as its probably not that unclean on the opposite side of it. I just cleaned the surface.

But now I'm wondering how the steam slider works. I know some models have a round button, mine is a later version with a slider. You slide the button upward, to froth milk (and though its a slider, the pressure is not variable - the slider just hits a microswitch). What I'm unclear is whether this slider button locks in place or not. It just doesn't seem to me like Faema would have you hold this button up during the entire time you're frothing milk (or dispensing water) with one hand. So I dont know if there's a part missing in my machine, or if this really is the original design. The only manual I'm able to obtain off the net is the one for the round knob version, which works quite differently.

Anyone have the slider can clue me in?, thanks.