Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 2 Post By Brollond

Thread: What to do next

What to do next

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all,

I have just put my breville coffee machine in for repair due to a broken grinder. Today I got a call saying it's going to cost me $350!???? Due to grinder and needs a new pump as failed the pressure test.

Now as far as I am aware the machine was working fine other than the grinder breaking. The machine is now 5 years old.

Does anyone have any feedback on Bravo coffee repairs?

Anyway feel like I am not willing to pay $350 for repairs when a new one is $650.

So time to upgrade and I want to spend less than a $1000 as only use on weekends. What do you recommend?
    Last edited by hornethomer; 31st July 2017 at 08:55 PM.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    What is a Grevillea coffee machine (sounds more like a nursery product)? Have you got a model number? Where are you located?

Sorry Breville and located in Sydney

Site Sponsor
    $350 is in the ballpark if it needs some expensive grinder bits (motor?)

A Lelit combi comes in under budget.

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by hornethomer View Post
    Hey all,

I have just put my breville coffee machine in for repair due to a broken grinder. Today I got a call saying it's going to cost me $350!???? Due to grinder and needs a new pump as failed the pressure test.

Now as far as I am aware the machine was working fine other than the grinder breaking. The machine is now 5 years old.

Does anyone have any feedback on Bravo coffee repairs?

Anyway feel like I am not willing to pay $350 for repairs when a new one is $650.

So time to upgrade and I want to spend less than a $1000 as only use on weekends. What do you recommend?
    I suspect the $350 is their standard repair charge, my local Breville service centre charged $50 to diagnose the fault and then offered to deduct the $50 from the bill so "I only need to pay $300"! Their only mistake was they told me what parts needed to be replaced, in my case it was a few silicone O-rings on the steam boiler that had failed. A quick Google search found others with similar problem and detailed instructions on how to fix, parts were easily sourced and repair cost me $10 and it was good as new!

I would suggest if you are at all technical you could probably source the components and repair yourself, brew pumps are cheap to replace (expect around $40) just search for the part number printed on the side of the pump. Other parts are available online, sometimes you need to go to overseas sellers which takes time. Otherwise put the money you saved on repairs towards a new machine and sell your old machine online for some additional $ to help fund the new one with warrantee.
    Magic_Matt and shewey like this.

thanks all for your help

A customer brought a DeLonghi machine to me today which was recently serviced by that company. $670 later and they did fix the initial complaint (which was an extremely basic job) but failed to perform the other routine maintenance procedures that her particular machine requires that I would expect every DeLonghi agent to perform.

There is no justification for this price tag. I've repaired countless of these machines and even the cumulative price of every major part inside the machine doesn't reach $670.

Your machine is similar. I won't list cost prices but I'll say that a grinder + pump + labour should not be anything near $350.

What was the fault with the grinder to start with?
    Had you noticed any issues with espresso extraction? Was the pump making a surging sound or the pressure gauge needle fluctuating up and down when under full pressure? Was the pressure gauge needle taking longer than usual to reach its usual point?
    These can be indicators of a worn pump and on a 5 year old model, this is relatively common.

Hi Noldle22,

The grinder was making a knocking noise when trying to use. I tried cleaning this but it continued.

As for the pump the pressure gauge was still performing like before hence I was surprised to be told it needed a new pump, let alone $350 to fix. When I disputed the costs they still said it would cost me $244 to fix without a new pump. The machine is a Breville Bes870 and can be bought for new at $600 on promotion, so I am better buying a new one.

they charge me $80 upfront and no doubt I won't see that again.