Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By EddieE
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By JetBlack_Espresso
  • 1 Post By JetBlack_Espresso
  • 2 Post By Crema_Lad

Thread: RANCILIO SILVIA V5 E model honest review please?

RANCILIO SILVIA V5 E model honest review please?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, I have seen one of these on sale pretty cheaply in comparison to the $850 price tag on the searched stores. I have read lots of things about it coming with a 30 min automatic off switch and to purchase the M version, however I want to know if anyone has actually owned / used the E version and can tell me, how long do they warm it up before making coffee? is this feature really as bad as most people are saying?

Thanks

Ben
    Casa Espresso likes this.

Hi Ben,

The Sylvia is a tried and trued machine and when used as designed it will produce great coffee and last you many years. Bang for your buck there is not a lot around that matches it.

We sell the Sylvia in both versions.

I have read some negative comments on the E version as well which I find strange.

Most of the versions we sell are the E version and have had no complaints at all in performance and heat up time.

Just make sure you are buying from a reputable and Australian based company

All the best

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    ozscott likes this.

Site Sponsor
    The Silvia takes about 30 minutes before it's properly hot - unless you stand there and flush water through it. So having a standby mode (on the E version) that turns the element off when the machine has been on for 30 minutes isn't great IMO. For example, say you turn it on to heat up while you go through your morning routine and come back to it in 40 or 50 minutes. By then it will have gone into standby mode and cooled down from it's optimum temperature. If you're worried about saving power, buy the M version and turn it off when you're finished with it.

Also, the E version has an added control board (that the M doesn't have) to handle the standby mode logic. So you should factor the chance of an expensive control board replacement into your decision making process.

In terms of other machines that match the Silvia in terms of "bang for buck", have a look at the Lelit range starting with the PL41LEM. The PL41TEMD is a little more but does add PID control for brew and steam.

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
    The Silvia takes about 30 minutes before it's properly hot - unless you stand there and flush water through it. So having a standby mode (on the E version) that turns the element off when the machine has been on for 30 minutes isn't great IMO. For example, say you turn it on to heat up while you go through your morning routine and come back to it in 40 or 50 minutes. By then it will have gone into standby mode and cooled down from it's optimum temperature. If you're worried about saving power, buy the M version and turn it off when you're finished with it.

Also, the E version has an added control board (that the M doesn't have) to handle the standby mode logic. So you should factor the chance of an expensive control board replacement into your decision making process.

charlie
    Hi Charlie,

We haven't seen 30 minute heat up times on Sylvias.

The general consensus is 15 to 20 minutes. There was a fair bit of discussion about it in a previous thread

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...e-morning.html

If the OP is worried about the E version, the standard M version with out the power saving feature as you have suggested

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au

Site Sponsor
    We've Scaced the Silvia (as well as most of the machines in our range). It's closer to 30 minutes to get to it's optimal temperature (assuming it's just left alone rather than water being flushed through it). This doesn't stop people making coffee on it in 15 minutes of course. Heck, some people will make coffee on a machine as soon as the element light turns on (or off). But I'm talking about ideal espresso making temperatures as measured with a tool made for the job. If the OP is concerned about heat up time, the Lelit range heats up faster. This is because the boiler on a Lelit is bolted directly to the group head. On the Silvia, the boiler is offset to the group head so there is a longer path for heat conduction to occur.

charlie
    readeral likes this.

Hey Eddie, besides the actual functionality of the Sylvia, I was looking for one earlier this year and about 6 different websites all popped up selling these pretending to be from Australia. Some had AU phone numbers but the addresses are usually serviced offices. Usually the giveaways are an AU$ sign and if you look at delivery it says if low on stock it may come from Italy. I would suggest a sponsor, the two above sell the product one in Vic and one in NSW, much easier and far cheaper than returning to Italy if there is a problem

Site Sponsor
    Yep. The other give away is that they don't show up here: https://abr.business.gov.au/

charlie
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Hey Eddie, besides the actual functionality of the Sylvia, I was looking for one earlier this year and about 6 different websites all popped up selling these pretending to be from Australia. Some had AU phone numbers but the addresses are usually serviced offices. Usually the giveaways are an AU$ sign and if you look at delivery it says if low on stock it may come from Italy. I would suggest a sponsor, the two above sell the product one in Vic and one in NSW, much easier and far cheaper than returning to Italy if there is a problem
    Yes the infamous Caffe Italia, The New Caffe Italia, Caffe Italia Australia or any other of the variants they market them selves under.....

Caveat emptor...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    Yes the infamous Caffe Italia, The New Caffe Italia, Caffe Italia Australia or any other of the variants they market them selves under.....

Caveat emptor...

Yes have ended up on their site and quickly worked out it didnít look quite right. Makes you more grateful for this community and itís sponsors

And have you seen the price of their beans?! At over $100 kg for their regular blend it had better be liquid gold, wherever it comes from....