Thread: What to buy - Based in Melbourne

What to buy - Based in Melbourne

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all have been stalking the forum for a little while and my old Breville BES820 has finally died after 8 years and a few repairs along the way. I'm looking at moving up to something a little more sophisticated and robust.

Will get a fair bit of use over the weekend making espresso and milky coffees. We generally buy beans and have them ground by our local supplier however considering a grinder to have a bit more control of the grind depending on the coffee we are having a go of as we like to mix it up a bit

Looking at spending 800-1300 so just wondering what others are using in this sort of price range and is there anything I should be looking out for, I read a lot about machines with PID etc can anyone enlighten me on the advantage of this etc.

Cheers

Luke

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Hi Luke,

Considering that you are after a more sophisticated setup now your number 1 to buy item should be a grinder. $800-$1300 for a machine + grinder is on the low end, but there are plenty of other subs here that can point you in the right direction all around that price range.

For $800 you could easily buy a second hand Gaggia Classic and a dosered Mazzer Super Jolly with 64mm burrs or non dosered Macap/Compak/other with smaller ~50mm burrs. Alternatively, Rancilio Silvia and Rocky grinder packages pop up for as low as $550. These are both single boiler machines, so will have short delays between pouring the shot and steaming the milk, and then again between making multiple shots in a row. Adding a PID makes them significantly more user friendly, but this is usually a DIY project.

If you are wanting a larger E61 style heat exchange boiler to do back to back coffees and steam at the same time, then it probably comes down to what is advertised at the time. You are on the low end for both machine and grinder together if you are after something really solid, as there is a price jump between second hand single boiler and heat exchanger machines.

You might get lucky and find an old style Nuova Simonelli Oscar, which tend to be cheaper due to the plastic case instead of stainless steel.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyjj21 View Post
    For $800 you could easily buy a second hand Gaggia Classic and a dosered Mazzer Super Jolly with 64mm burrs or non dosered Macap/Compak/other with smaller ~50mm burrs. Alternatively, Rancilio Silvia and Rocky grinder packages pop up for as low as $550. These are both single boiler machines, so will have short delays between pouring the shot and steaming the milk, and then again between making multiple shots in a row. Adding a PID makes them significantly more user friendly, but this is usually a DIY project.

If you are wanting a larger E61 style heat exchange boiler to do back to back coffees and steam at the same time, then it probably comes down to what is advertised at the time. You are on the low end for both machine and grinder together if you are after something really solid, as there is a price jump between second hand single boiler and heat exchanger machines.

You might get lucky and find an old style Nuova Simonelli Oscar, which tend to be cheaper due to the plastic case instead of stainless steel.
    Thanks for that info mate it's appreciated The Silvia was on the list for sure and as far as the delay between the shot and steaming milk I'm not overly concerned as our current broken machine is a single boiler so we are used to the delay. I'll have a look at the Hagia