Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By JetBlack_Espresso

Thread: Lelit PL42TEMD - 57mm IMS shower screen?

Lelit PL42TEMD - 57mm IMS shower screen?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

After owning the Lelit for 6 months, slight upgraditis has got me and I'm thinking of replacing the factory shower screen with a IMS 57mm screen - https://www.espressoparts.com/precis...ded-200-micron
    Does anyone know if this will fit in the Lelit, which uses a 57mm basket?

I've looked at precision baskets from VST and IMS as well and they're all standard 58mm - anyone know of a precision double basket that'd fit the Lelit?

Abort! Abort!
    I am 98.3% positive that IMS only makes screens for standard 58mm basket sized groups. Any changes in diameter of the screen versions would be due to variations between different manufacturers and the required mounting method, shape, etc.
    Although your baskets are 57mm, the shower screen would need to be smaller.

Thanks for the reply - duh why didn't I think of that?!

I see that IMS has got smaller screens - 56.5mm and 56.4mm, do anyone know if they'd work?
    links -
    56.5mm : https://www.espressoparts.com/parts/...0-micron-ca-34
    56.4mm : https://www.espressoparts.com/parts/...200-micron-s-6

there's even 55mm and 51.5mm shower screens from IMS, but probably too small for the Lelit?

Have you pulled the existing one out and measured it?
    338 likes this.

Site Sponsor
    I'm not sure if IMS make one that will go on. But the Lelit genuine shower screen is already of the non-welded variety, unlike the standard shower screens you find on most of the E61 equipped machines. So I don't think there will be much to be gained by spending your hard-earned in that area.

Have you already got yourself a bottomless portafilter? Technique is usually where the big gains are and it will help you improve and understand the process better.

charlie
    www.jetblackespresso.com.au
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks for the very informative insight Charlie!
    You're right about the shower screen on the Lelit, I hadn't thought that the E61 would see a bigger benefit coming from welded screens.

I have myself a bottomless portafilter, which I have been using pretty much exclusively so I can watch every extraction. Here is a video of my typical extraction, although the way they come out is quite different depending on the bean used - https://youtu.be/aAkxMdNKUGE

I guess my issues is that I struggle to get a very even initial drip, where there will be several drip spots for the first 15s then they join to get a nice central rat tail...

Site Sponsor
    Not too bad HM. You could try going a little coarser. Taste both and see which you prefer.

charlie

Much appreciated Charlie - I'll go a little coarser and see how i go.
    I tried a different bean today (Brazil Cachoeirinha, dark roast, 7 day old) and found the same grind setting with 18g in the same double basket resulted in the same tamp depth, but completes the extraction in 30s as opposed to 45s with the Columbian (19g dose). Should I also down-dose the Columbian as well as grinding it a little coarser?

Quote Originally Posted by huskyman View Post
    Much appreciated Charlie - I'll go a little coarser and see how i go.
    I tried a different bean today (Brazil Cachoeirinha, dark roast, 7 day old) and found the same grind setting with 18g in the same double basket resulted in the same tamp depth, but completes the extraction in 30s as opposed to 45s with the Columbian (19g dose). Should I also down-dose the Columbian as well as grinding it a little coarser?
    Try down dosing first and then see what happens on the second shot after the adjustment.

Note: if you leave a couple of days worth of beans in your hopper your first shot of the morning will pour faster again unless you purge first. So I aim for ~36s shot to account for that.

Thanks for the advice Shortyesquire - I've had 18g dose prior on the same grind setting, and the the tamp depth was too low, which resulted in the shot done within 20s (very fast blonding), and tasted quite sour. Perhaps with coarse grind the tamp depth will be in the correct range?
    I have the habit of measuring the dose of every shot and grind that, so nothing stays in the hopper....

Quote Originally Posted by huskyman View Post
    Thanks for the advice Shortyesquire - I've had 18g dose prior on the same grind setting, and the the tamp depth was too low, which resulted in the shot done within 20s (very fast blonding), and tasted quite sour. Perhaps with coarse grind the tamp depth will be in the correct range?
    I have the habit of measuring the dose of every shot and grind that, so nothing stays in the hopper....
    Generally dosing up or grinding finer slow the pour.

I adjust grind to get in the ballpark but prefer to adjust grind time/weight for fine adjustment. But I only adjust one variable at a time to avoid chasing my own tail.

On my Lelit I aim to grind fine enough for 18.5-19g in ~36s at 93c.

Thanks for the info - definitely helpful for me to set a baseline.
    I have found that I do prefer darker roasts and with a 30-40s extraction, I get more of the nutty/chocolate notes out compared to the sub 30s extractions, which tends to have brighter lemon notes...