Thread: Rancilio Silvia Lugs too thick?

Rancilio Silvia Lugs too thick?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My brother has a V2 Silvia he bought second hand a few years ago, and it came with a portafilter with part number 20-112-010. With or without a basket in the portafilter it is extremely hard to turn after insertion, to pull a shot he can only rotate it about 0.5-1cm at the group head and has to hold it in because it's fallen out and exploded coffee everywhere a couple of times.

Is this the right portafilter for the V2? Can I just file the lugs down a bit?

Also the basket is a 40-100-010, what is the recommended dose?

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    My brother has a V2 Silvia he bought second hand a few years ago, and it came with a portafilter with part number 20-112-010. With or without a basket in the portafilter it is extremely hard to turn after insertion, to pull a shot he can only rotate it about 0.5-1cm at the group head and has to hold it in because it's fallen out and exploded coffee everywhere a couple of times.

Is this the right portafilter for the V2? Can I just file the lugs down a bit?

Also the basket is a 40-100-010, what is the recommended dose?
    Could it be that the group gasket is too thick? Maybe they put the wrong one in?

Try buying a cafelat silicone gasket (the green one is for Rancilio Silvia) and see how it goes.

Worth a shot, thanks. Ordered!

Sounds more than likely something to do with incorrect thickness gasket or similar. Even without using the silicone ones , the standard ( correct ) rubber gasket should never make the group handle overly tight to pull around.

One of the lugs seems straight, the other one doesn't. Both sides some wear through the chrome.
    20170920_202413.jpg

20170920_202758.jpg

20170920_202853.jpg

20170920_203010.jpg

Apparently the new gasket sorted everything out, cheers!