Thread: EM6910 sounds like a jack hammer!

EM6910 sounds like a jack hammer!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Tonight, I finally set up my EM6910 that I bought on Sunday.

The problem I have found is that when you pump espresso it sounds like a jack hammer!

I surely hope it is not meant to be like this as it is much too noisy and you would be unable to make a coffee in the morning without waking the rest of the house.

The pump for the steam is as quiet as a mouse in comparison.

Anyone else experience this or is my machine faulty?

Other than that it seems to do things quite well, my mum who is a Barrista managed to get awesome micro foam on some milk and once I get the grind of the coffee right with some nice beans (just using shop bought beans atm). The EM0480 grinder sucks, I had to put it at about 5 to get a decent grind and in the book it says 12-16!!

Thinking about taing it back to change for a Gaggia Baby Twin or a Nemox (the one with the grinder inbuilt)

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Emille

Re: EM6910 sounds like a jack hammer!

Gday Emille!

Noise level is a subjective thing, Ive found. Yes, my em6910 makes a noise, but would I call it a "jack hammer"? To me it purrs like a kitten! However, I do hesitate to make a coffee at 4:30am before morning shift for fear of waking my neighbours!
    It is a little noisy at first, when its doing the pre-infusion thing, but then it quietens down as the pressure is applied to the shot. I actually find this quite a satisfying sound -- but then, I am in love (or lust) with my machine! :o

I dont find it any noisier than the em0480 grinder.
    For your own assessment of the noise, check out this small vid of my 6910 on youtube:

http://es.youtube.com/user/coffeeNook

Mind you, those new Gaggias look pretty damn good, too!

Thanks mate :)

I cannot really tell the volume of the noise your machine is making, but mine was noisy enough for my mum to call out from the lounge "What is making that noise?"

Is this a Thermoblock thing? I do not remember my uncles Nemox being this loud and that has a boiler.

Gday Emille,

No mate, its not a Boiler vs. T/Block thing.... Its more to do with how well the manufacturer isolates the pump from the rest of the machine, or whether there may be some high pressure pipework in contact with some panel-work, etc. A quick look under the bonnet with the power off and plug removed from the power outlet should reveal if there is anything amiss of this nature,

Cheers,
    Mal.

May be a thermoblock thing. My old Gaggia was noisier than the em6910 and it stayed noisy the whole pour, whereas the 6910, as I said before, goes quiet part way into the pour. On the subjective level of things, I dont find my 6910 noisy at all (except perhaps, at 4.30am!)

Hmm, I will do some more playing and see how I go.

Does anyone have a Gaggia Baby or Baby Twin?

What are the noise levels like on that?

as a general rule any machine with a vibratory pump. which is pretty much every non commercial machine, will be loud. I think Vibiemme have found a way to deaden the sound by mounting the pump on rubber. However I imagine (I havnt ever listened to one) that it would still be louder then a commercial rotary. Another reason that rotaries seem even quieter is that they are often located under the bench in a cubbord which helps.

The EM6910 is a noisy beast... no way around it...

Quote Originally Posted by muppet_man67 link=1184770186/0#6 date=1184816906
    as a general rule any machine with a vibratory pump. which is pretty much every non commercial machine, will be loud. I think * Vibiemme have found a way to deaden the sound by mounting the pump on rubber. However I imagine (I havnt ever listened to one) that it would still be louder then a commercial rotary. Another reason that rotaries seem even quieter is that they are often located under the bench in a cubbord which helps.
    Yes and no- the isolation thing is everything. My Botticelli and sons Via Venezia have vibe pumps and are close to silent- certainly quieter than my two commercials. Especially in the case of the Boema which some clever former owner (not the most recent one- Phil) has isolated with old garden hose!
    Brett

Im used to the noise on my machine, but there must be very little insulation as the vibe from the vibe pump can rattle items off the top of the machine.

Even opened it up. its on raised rubber mounts like most other machines with vibe pumps I have seen. Might have something to do with it being mounted on plastic, and almost touching the side panel. Wouldnt surprise me if that whole thin side panel is acting like a speaker.

Just cost cutting I suppose... or poor design... or both...

Still, makes a great coffee(s) quicker and more easily than anything I could find in the same price range.

Hey Emille,

Ive got the EM6910 and YEP at forst the noise was awfully daunting but now its not so bad as you get used to it! Besides, everyone in the house cant be too upset if youre making hem a great codffee first thing in the morning ;)

I also have the EM0480 grinder (im on my second). I found that with the first one, I had it down to 1 and had to tamp, updose, tamp, updose... etc. just to get a good extraction. So I took the sucker back and got another and this one is really really good on setting 10. So I would suggest taking it back and at least replacing it... It comes with a three year replacement warranty so it must be a good unit or they wouldnt offer it! Get a new one and see how you go! I am very happy with mine.

Cheers! [smiley=beer.gif]

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevenkylie link=1184770186/0#10 date=1184906810
    It comes with a three year replacement warranty so it must be a good unit or they wouldnt offer it!
    Not necessarily. Within reason, warranty is just another marketing tool. Sure they dont want too many breaking within warranty, but its also used to give someone an edge over a competitor. I guess we use our grinders pretty hard and pretty precisely so the wear we incur may not be representative of the general public.

Greg

Fair call Greg...

I guess it can cause a false sense of security.

Three years is a fairly long warranty though... most other domestics are only offering 12 months...

That said, lets see if the EM0480 is still going in 12 months! 3 down, 9 to go! Fingers Crossed!

Steve.

ps. that reminds me to order my pullman... legend!

Marketing tool or not, a warrantys still a warranty so 3 years is a definite buying plus in favour of the Sunbeam. But just because its warranty is longer, it doesnt automatically follow that its actually a better built unit or will last any longer than a unit with a 12 month warranty. It just means you dont have to wear the cost of that breakage.

Greg

The problem is the "5 year warranty" is the pump only -the rest of the machine is 12 months - just like most other machines.....

So the 5 years often mentioned as a sales plus only refers to a small portion of the unit - and compared to the electronics etc - a very reliable portion.

They sound of the EM6910 put me off purchasing one initailly but since owning it for 2 weeks and using it every day I kind of like the noise, it has become quieter or I have gotten used to it. It is nothing like a jack hammer and not much noiser than my older expresso machine. Others generally complain about the grinder.

If I had of heard it before buying it I never would have bought it. Sunbeam tell me it is all in order.
    So obviously nothing wrong with it.

In the end,

It always comes down to cost, like everything does. To spend the extra resources on designing, manufacturing and installing a proper isolation system for the pump would probably take the cost of the whole unit over the intended benchmark (not peculiar to Sunbeam of course but most domestic espresso machines). A vibration isolation system that actually works can look like the one found in various Bezzera machines (PDF Page below), and probably other similarly specd machines. Simple, but effective and also requires a little more room to accommodate it.

Mal.

Em, I suppose everyone has different priorities for things. For me the noise of the EM does not worry me. If it didnt perform and was still noisy I would have been upset. Having said that I love the sound of the rotary pump compared to the vibe pump. I think when I first got my sunbeam I was pretty amazed at the sound compared to the little Ristretto I had, but I got used to it. Having said that it was noisy at 3.00 in the morning going fishing - I ended up using the stovetop!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Emille link=1184770186/0#0 date=1184770186
    Hi all,

Tonight, I finally set up my EM6910 that I bought on Sunday.

The problem I have found is that when you pump espresso it sounds like a jack hammer!

I surely hope it is not meant to be like this as it is much too noisy and you would be unable to make a coffee in the morning without waking the rest of the house.

The pump for the steam is as quiet as a mouse in comparison.

Emille
    A friend has the older 6900 and the pump for both the steam and the brewing is very loud. But I agree with others here, its all relative. So to me, as an owner of a Silvia and an operator of a professional machine, the Sunbeams are extremely noisy!

So, I guess your housemates are just going to have to get used to it! :D

Hey people, thanks for all of the replies.

I have little doubt in the machines abilities but unfortunately I just cannot live with the noise. Call me fussy :) and it is probably a fair call.

I was at my uncles house the other night and was messing around with his Nemox Del Opera and was thiking of getting one of these in place of it or an Ascaso Dream or One of the Ascaso Steel range. The Del Opera is virtually whisper quiet in comparison.

My question is, if you had to choose between these three machines, which one would you all reccomend?

The Sunbeam in my opinion is superior and isnt that loud to me...

Maybe something is wrong with yours... and is exceptionally loud?

If your convinced its not for you though, change it... you have to be happy with your machine, you have to love it make great coffee...

So change it to one you feel more comforable with, otherwise you will detest it forever and never LOVE making cofee on it.

Steve

Steve

So true about never loving making coffee. Since I decided I want to upgrade I am just not as happy with my machine ive lost my relationship with it :)

So Emille I agreed return it and get what you want!

Sue

Yes, that is my exact issue. As I said, I have litttle doubt about the ability of the 6910 (Iactually poured some decent first shots) but at the end of the day, this has left a sour taste in my mouth so I know I would vener have that relationship with my coffee machine that you all talk of.

Steve, that is exactly what I thought that something was wrong with it but I explained to Sunbeam exactly how I am explaing to all of you and they told me it was completely normal.

Any of the other machines I have suggested I know I will be happy with however I was just looking forsome feedback on whichone was the most reccomended.

Might I suggest you do a google search with coffeesnobs as one of the key words in your search, that way youll get a few more results than just the usual 15 or so from here. This might be quicker than you waiting for replies from other members here about the machines you are enquiring about.

Kind regards...

The best format for your search in google is thus:

site:coffeesnobs.com.au searchwords

This will narrow it down to the coffeesnobs site.

Thanks people :) will do.

The Sunbeam must be loud, because Ive never heard anything as loud as my daughters delOpera! In its case its just a lot of relatively light weight metal and this rattles with the pump- what I also understand to be the issue with the Sunbeam. Advantage of the delOpera is you can pull it apart and fiddle- no electronics in the sense of no printed circuit boards.
    Brett

Wow! A DelOpera louder than a sunbeam?
    When the sunbeam was pouring a shot, you had to shout over it, where as you could just talk normally with the delopera.
    Maybe I have a faulty sunbeam and your daughter has a faulty delopera?

Emille,

Trust me.. the Sunbeam is noisy! Ive had a few and they are all noisy!

Emille,

When your pour commences, the pump is indeed rather noisy, because there is not much load on it.

But when the pressure builds up, the pump gets quieter the more the espresso dial swings to the right. In fact, its rather quiet when its in the red (too much pressure).

Does your machine get quieter when your dial has swung past the midway point, towards the brown area where its getting the right amount of pressure to extract the crema? Or does it remain noisy irrespective of the pressure?

Lawrance

Does not really get quieter. I have had the dial in the exact middle of the guage and it sounds the same as if the PF is not even attached.

Middle of the gauge is under/\/over extracted... Gauge should be at about 2.30 oclock.. when you load up the pump is quietens a bit

Quote Originally Posted by marcstolk link=1184770186/30#32 date=1185155647
    Middle of the gauge is under/\/over extracted... Gauge should be at about 2.30 oclock.. when you load up the pump is quietens a bit
    Hmm interesting because the manual says anywhere in that gold area is the "sweet spot"

Its not.... the gauges on this machine are only a guide... and Id be aiming for the 2:30 position.. use a finer grind... 1 click finer

...but look at the photo on the box. The "Sweet spot" is about where it should be. I think its where it should be on the pics on the website too...

Hy Guys...

The sweet spot that is outlined in the instruction manual, in the pics and online is DEFINITELY going to under extract your shot!

I agree that somewhere between 2.30 and 3.00 oclock on that little dial will get the best extraction. Ive poured a heap of shots out of the little begger and at first I was aiming to get it in that sweet spot on the dial but found the coffee not tasting great, so a little finer and a much slower pour helped out a lot.

Heres a nice shot puled this morning at around 2.30 oclock on the dial... into water for a long black.

Good Luck!

Steve

Interesting.

Now that you mention it, the picture on the box of my unit was obviously a 6900 becaue the gold sweet spot wedge is smaller and in a different position on thepic on the box wereas on the machine, it is much wider.

Steve, I cant help it but that shot youre pulling looks awfully blond ... either your beans are stale or the pour is way too fast... or the water temp is very low...

This is what you should be getting (Taking into account the camera flash which washes the colour out a bit)
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1164881708

Yeah...

I know... It was right at the end of the shot and I ran to get the camera and I let it run on a bit too far... the end result was nice though...

I do need to fiddle with the temp of water, it is not quite hot enough. Beans werent stale though...

Thanks for the links to those pics... good indication of how to get it right! The flash did make a big difference to the actual result, but without the flash it was just too dark! :-/

Steve

Middle of the dial is definitely underextracted.

I always get a sense of satisfaction if my dial is somewhere in the dark brown zone. If the dial is less than 2:30pm, its going to be less than ideal shot, for my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Emille link=1184770186/30#37 date=1185199281
    Interesting.

Now that you mention it, the picture on the box of my unit was obviously a 6900 becaue the gold sweet spot wedge is smaller and in a different position on thepic on the box wereas on the machine, it is much wider.
    No, the 6900 always had the gold zone in the middle. Maybe the picture is of the 6920? :P Same with my unit, picture on the box has the gold wedge where the brown area is on my actual machine. Maybe this is how it was supposed to be all along and the manufacturers stuffed it up.

Quote Originally Posted by mean bean link=1184770186/0#1 date=1184773943

I dont find it any noisier than the em0480 grinder.
    For your own assessment of the noise, check out this small vid of my 6910 on youtube:

http://es.youtube.com/user/coffeeNook
    Nice vid. Im no expert by a long shot and am a newbie to the EM6910, but when you made that shot your pressure gauge went way into the Red! That crema also looked quite greyish brown, like it was burnt. How did it taste?

Yes the noise might distrub some people at 4am in the morning. but come on what did u get the coffee machine for... to look pretty, to be quiet or to make a coffee.
    My 6910 purrs like a baby... if u wanted something quiet then there is always the good old kettle or the billy.

By the way does anyone know where I can get a sub $2000 home roaster from.. I dont want to sacrifice my breadmaker just yet.

Hey Padrebear, GeneCafe goes for about $800 - so you could get 2 within your budget! Max capacity is about 300gms. Some site sponsors stock them - have a look on left of the screen on the home page.

Cheers,
    Tony

Hi Tony,
    Thanks heaps for that link........... told the hubby and now hes like NO not yet :(.... man doesnt understand that coffee is a religion damn it.

Cheers

Chris