Post By flatwh1te
SOLVED: Sunbeam EM7000 machine pressure problem?
EDIT: SOLVED!!! I thought why not try the single basket, and all of sudden the machine was back to normal. What the, this is good news!? So found my double basket has a hairline crack around top, you can see it highlight in the attached photo. Phew, at least this is easy to solve.
I have an EM7000 that is just over 4 years old. My problem recently is a watery and super weak shot, regardless of how super fine on the grind. The water seems to fly out pretty fast too, the shot takes 7-8 seconds. And I cant choke the machine with a fine grind either, I just get almost clear water. The pressure gauge struggles to even get into the gray zone, normally a perfect shot would be on the gauge border of orange/red. The puck afterwards is super hard and doesn't come out of the portafilter easily at all.
It makes the usual click and dump of water after the end of the shot into the overflow tray, but during the shot there is nothing flowing into the tray.
Beans are fresh and I haven't changed my known good grinder setting.
I've removed and cleaned the screens, run a number (4-5) cleaning disc + tablet cycles today, and the pressure gauge either doesn't move at all, or moves at most 2mm. I have to be honest I don't normally pay a lot of attention when I run the cleaning cycle, but I'd swear now there is a lot more water coming out of the spout than going into the overflow tray, but maybe I'm imaging it.
It first started when I ran a cleaning cycle a few weeks back, but not every time. This week its been every time and driving me crazy. Any tips on what to try or what part I need to buy to fix it would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by flatwh1te; 24th December 2017 at 08:48 AM.
Weird fault. nice easy fix though!
well bugger me with the rough end of a pineapple!
am I glad I saw your post
I thought I was going to have to consign our EM7000 to the tip, but hadn't been able to bring myself to doing that yet. It has been sitting in the garage for 3 months pending further investigation of an erratic pressure problem that I wasn't able to fix by cleaning everything thoroughly and replacing the group head seal.
I just looked at the filter basket and it has the same tiny holes and hairline crack as yours
Originally Posted by bobzilla
Instead of wasting more $$$'s on the SB basket (used to be $30 when a VST was $35), buy a 15g / 18g /20g / 22g (pick your size) VST basket. It transformed my 6910s and my 7000s coffee. Be aware, given a good enough grinder, the VST will extract about 50% more flavour from the same amount of beans so your 16g SB basket would be about an 11g VST (if it existed - unfortunately it doesn't).
Enjoy your cuppa
PS: The VST is rated for cafe use. I have never had one fail, and some of them have been hammered (403 coffees from the till receipts in under 3 hours for example).