Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jackster
  • 1 Post By Javaphile

Thread: Send it back or repair yourself?

Send it back or repair yourself?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Send back your three months old machine for repair under the warranty, or take the chance and repair it yourself?

I like my espresso machine a lot, and I am also quite addicted to the coffee it produces. It's a Spanish make called Ascaso. It's got some not-so-necessary design features, like the halogen-lit water tank - very Barcelonean, I guess. Now, the light is not working anymore, which is aesthetically annoying but doesn't mean anything apart from that. Talked with the seller, who said something like "it's just a clip-off, clip-on thing", so I just asked to have the part sent over and do the repair myself.

That was until I got the lid off, and saw the (also very Barcelonean, I suspect) interior, which is if not a mess at least somewhat complicated. The light is, of course, right at the bottom, and I would have to dismantle several wires, tubes, and other stuff to get to it.

I talked with my neighbor, who is an electrician, and he convinced me to send it back. What would you have done?

AscasoCS.JPGUnderCS.JPG

Replaced it myself and converted it to a led...
    I have lots of faith in my abilities, and pretty sure i can keep any machine running longer than 90% of repair shops
    Dimal likes this.

Oh, well - I see the thread has been moved. :-) I was in fact just asking how you in general approach repairing stuff, especially if the warranty still applies - thus the off topic.
    @ Jackster - good for you, I certainly don't have too much confidence in myself when it comes to electrical stuff. I would have given it a go, had the warranty already expired. You are by the way exposing my inabilities, the light source is, of course, LED, not halogen...

I would not be opening it up for fear of having a future warranty claim denied.

For something purely cosmetic I might live with it and send it back closer to end of the warranty period, that's if nothing else more serious had gone wrong in the meantime.

My exact thoughts, Zeezaw. I wouldn't have opened the thing had I not had mail correspondence with the seller where they specifically state that repairing the light myself will not affect the warranty unless of course, I screw up and wreck something while working on it.

The machine/class of machine figures very prominently in answering this question, hence the move.

Java "Wanna do what?" phile
    knastoer likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

I will probably never again leave my machine with a "professional" I did once and it cost me $100 and they never found the problem! I eventually figured out that the pressure problem was in the valve that switches my machine between plumbed in and the reservoir. The shop I took it to has a very good reputation too.

So there you go my vote is for you to do it yourself.