• 2 Post By Xanthine
  • 1 Post By rawill
  • 1 Post By TampIt
  • 3 Post By Javaphile

Thread: EM6910 - deep clean?

EM6910 - deep clean?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I bought a cheap 2nd hand EM6910 in "perfect condition", but get it home and can't get any water through the group head or hot water outlet.

Turns on fine, heats up, pump making all the right noises, steam wand steaming (albeit weakly).

I removed the seal and metal grids under the group head and they were filthy, which makes me think (perhaps optimistically) that the insides of the machine just need a good clean.

If there's no water getting through to the group head, how would I go about cleaning a blockage or troubleshooting further? Keen to try what I can myself so I don't over capitalise.

Any assistance appreciated! Cheers.

Open the hot water and steam knobs and leave running for a minute or so.

You should have better steam and flow from the hot water wand by at least a minute in and then should be good to go. If you still don't have flow after this time then further diagnosis will be needed.

It's common symptom on these machines when they sit unused without water in them for a while, the pumps drain out and air gets into the lines. Opening both knobs allows water to flow through the whole system and expel any air.
    zeezaw likes this.

Hi and welcome to the CS forum

A couple of suggestions which may help to get the pump primed -
    First, temporarily remove the water filter from the tank and fill fill it to the top with clean water, remove the shower screens and group handle and use the 'Manual' button to see if you can get a water flow.
    If, after several tries, this is not successful you may need to use a largish syringe with a suitable adaptor to force water into the water inlet with the tank removed while running the pump. 12mm black irrigation poly pipe is a reasonable fit from memory - you may need to use a bit of ingenuity to adapt it.
    Listen to the sound of the pump while doing this - it sounds loud and 'clattery' when running dry but quietens down if full of water.
    If none of these things work it is possible that there is a blockage in the water line from the tank to the pump or the valves in the pump are stuck requiring dis-assembly. There is a tiny nozzle opening inside the flow sensor which is prone to blocking with 'things' which grow in the clear plastic supply line when the machine has been left un-used for some time with water sitting in the lines.
    Once you get the water flowing give it a good descale and detergent flush (two separate processes) and either replace the tank filter of rejuvenate the old one with a salt water bath.

Hope this helps
    Trev
    Last edited by Xanthine; 11th April 2018 at 05:47 PM. Reason: typo
    zeezaw likes this.

Rbn
    Isn't this just the case with "In perfect condition" used machines.

Same experience here with a 6910, and a 7000.
    But both are doing the job now after a bit of learning and tinkering, and also a new relay for the 7000.
    Which will not be the problem for the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    Open the hot water and steam knobs and leave running for a minute or so.
    That did the trick, thanks! After a minute there were a few drops coming out of the hot water wand, then after 2 or 3 minutes, both steam and hot water were pouring out.

Water now pumping through the group head too. Now off to buy descaler, detergent, new seal etc etc with renewed hope.

Thanks very much noidle, Xanthine & rawill for your replies! Way to make a noob feel welcome.
    Xanthine and zeezaw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojangles View Post
    That did the trick, thanks! After a minute there were a few drops coming out of the hot water wand, then after 2 or 3 minutes, both steam and hot water were pouring out.

Water now pumping through the group head too. Now off to buy descaler, detergent, new seal etc etc with renewed hope.

Thanks very much noidle, Xanthine & rawill for your replies! Way to make a noob feel welcome.
    Descaler - your call, however if you use white vinegar it will also be safe for the steam wand system (standard descaler isn't according to the SB manual).

Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    Descaler - your call...
    Eep, ok. It's hard to know what's best - so much conflicting info on here and elsewhere about cleaning. Only use vinegar, never use vinegar etc etc.

Perhaps I'll use the descaler through the group head and mild citric acid through the steam wand. I want to give it a nuclear clean before my first use, so perhaps I'll give it the one-of-everything method.

I would avoid citric as it is a solid (dissolved in water) and is more likely to leave a deposit in the steam thermoblock when flashed to steam. Vinegar, on the other hand, contains acetic acid which is volatile and should leave minimal deposit, especially if the cheap 'synthetic' white vinegar is used. I believe this is just a few percent acetic acid mixed with water. Other vinegars (red wine, apple cider etc) would be more likely to contain dissolved solids which would be left in the thin stainless spiral tube through the thermoblock.
    The main dis-advantage of vinegar is the smell, which can taint the milk/coffee unless thououghly flushed out after descaling.
    Last edited by Xanthine; 13th April 2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
    WarrenK and jimbojangles like this.

Rbn
    Jimbo - Yes but!

I prefer white vinegar, as it is easier to get the smell out, than using the Sunbeam descaler tablets. Seems to take an age to get rid of the residual smell taste from these tablets.
    At least that was my recent experience when I used a two tablet strength in an attempt to clean a blocked steam thermoblock.

Add another if but vinegar/not vinegar supporter!
    Last edited by rawill; 13th April 2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spelling/typo
    jimbojangles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojangles View Post
    Eep, ok. It's hard to know what's best - so much conflicting info on here and elsewhere about cleaning. Only use vinegar, never use vinegar etc etc.

Perhaps I'll use the descaler through the group head and mild citric acid through the steam wand. I want to give it a nuclear clean before my first use, so perhaps I'll give it the one-of-everything method.
    Please DON'T use citric... Xanthine is 100% correct.

I always use about 2 tablespoons (imperial ones, although I doubt that is too critical) of white vinegar per litre of "filtered water" (i.e. not the stuff from a tap - some of that is pretty horrible). That is about the same concentration of white vinegar the SB 6910 manual recommends*. I have been using it on virtually every machine (i.e. from brass boilers to stainless steel thermoblocks) I encountered since 1970 and it works, subject to needing a really thorough flush. +1 to Rawill - also, always use the cheap white vinegar as the dearer ones have all kinds of extra rubbish in them to "improve the taste" - I doubt the additions are as non-residual as the cheap stuff.

Also, I would suggest you do not "nuke it" by upping the concentration. Perhaps double whatever the SB manual recommends in volume if you are convinced it needs it, although I would give it one "standard clean" and then flush it thoroughly and try it out. If the showerscreens were that filthy, hopefully the rest of the system isn't.

Hope this helps

TampIt
    *search for the manual on this site or hunt it down on the SB OZ site. It is somewhere on CS as Java"fount of all knowledge in earth and heaven"phile informed me when I inadvertently double posted it.

Java"fount of all knowledge in earth and heaven"phile - always remember he is an alien, so he has a head start over all of us on earth in the latter realm...
    jimbojangles likes this.

It doesn't even require a search really, just a look in the appropriate Documentation section where you'll find both the user and maintenance manuals.

Java "Alien what?" phile
    rawill, inorog and TampIt like this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Thank you for the help in getting my newly acquired secondhand EM700 cleaned and fully functional...
    The Vinegar trick helped..
    I did use a blank basket to get the hot water spout working... When I got it when I turned the Hot tap on water came out of the group head... I tried the turn both taps on and it didn't make much difference... but when I put the blank basket in and turned the tap on after a couple of goes the hot water started to come out of the right spout..

I might add although I am a newby to this forum I do have a larger double group Simonelli Appia that I use in my Coffee Van.. so cleaning Coffee machines is an everyday occurrence for me..