Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sharkroman
  • 1 Post By JetBlack_Espresso

Thread: What is the best setup for $1500?

Question What is the best setup for $1500?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Hoping you can help me level up my coffee game
    I need a grinder and espresso machine (they dont have to be the same unit however open to any ideas)

Not that interested in the milk steamer however it is a nice to have.
    Also if the more compact in terms of space the better however I wouldn't sacrifice quality for that.
    Keen to spend up to 1500 all up so want the best coffee for that price

Jetblack is nearby for me so ideally would go there

What do you think I should get?

I would get a rancilio Silvia (or a lelit equivalent) and a baratza sette 270w.

Not sure what your knowledge is like on espresso equipment, but almost everyone on this forum will agree that a quality grinder is more important than a quality espresso machine.

The baratza sette has great reviews as being a good grinder for the price (although I've never used one). Apparently it has minimal clumping and good particle size consistency.

The rancilio Silvia is known for being a well built machine that can create quality espresso if you know what you're doing. Any machine in that price range is going to have it's limitations, such as never really knowing what temperature you're brewing at, but you can learn to make a delicious espresso and with consistency you can replicate it.

There are a bunch of senior members here on coffee snobs that know heaps more than I do, so hopefully they'll chime in soon and give some great advice.

It's one of those things where every extra few hundred dollars you spend can get you a better machine that makes brewing great espresso easier, but again, the best baristas can make as good espresso on a rancilio Silvia as they can on on a la marzocco gs3 ($8k or so).

Happy hunting.

If you consider 2nd hand machines, $1500 can get you a really decent setup. I recently upgraded to a Rocket Giotto Evo v1 + Macap M4 for a little over $1500. This should last me a while to play with.
    And agree with Esky there, my barista friend can pull really good espresso shots from his $400 2nd hand lelit combi as he does on a commercial machine

i was looking at the lelit kate - is the grinder built into that unit good?
    Should i get the one without the grinder and a separate unit?

I'm not familiar with that machine, but generally inbuilt grinders aren't all that flash. I'd be looking at a separate grinder.

Usually the combi ones are chosen for the size to fit in a small kitchen
    Better get a separate and decent grinder so later on you can just upgrade one piece of your setup
    rawill likes this.

The 270w and a good used hx. Or maybe a new oscar if you dont need water. (Not sure how much new oscar is)
    Though you can always pull water out of the brew head if its kept clean.

"Jetblack is nearby for me so ideally would go there"

Hi sharkpunch, welcome to the forum.
    I would be heading into Jetblack at the first opportunity.
    They have a good range, including the Lelit. Most importantly, they have good knowledge over a range of machines and will be happy to discuss your options.
    Good luck with your choice.
    Cheers
    Mal

thanks guys for your responses, will definitely checkout Jetback
    What do you think of the Lelit Kate?

Site Sponsor
    Hi sharkpunch,

The Lelit Kate is on the demo bench along with another 40 pro-sumer machines and grinders and we'd be happy to show you the pros/cons of packages circa $1,500.

The Kate is a little over your stated budget, but I think it's excellent value so well worth considering. The highlight for me is that it has a good sized single boiler with auto fill in steam mode. Steam enough milk for the whole dinner party in one go a single boiler! Previously you'd need a HX or DB to do this. Now you have it in a SB with PID, programmable preinfusion, shot timer and digital timed grinder.

Here is some feedback on some of the points raised in this thread:
    • In the single boiler range a PID makes a big difference for shot quality so if you can budget for it (usually around an extra $150) it's well worth it. The alternative is the bimetallic thermostat which introduces a reasonable amount of temperature variation and this makes a difference in the cup.
    • The grinders in the Lelit combi range are more than good enough. Conical burrs and micro-metric adjustment give you fluffy, clump-free grinds and the ability to fine tune. The Kate goes one better with digital timed doses for single and double to a tenth of a second. Dial in the grind dose and fineness and replicating great coffee just got a whole lot easier for the whole household.
    • Combis are chosen for different reasons including compact size, cleanliness (grinds fall on the drip tray rather than the bench), cost and ease of transportation. Going separates gives you more flexibility but this comes at a price.

charlie
    sharkroman likes this.

I just upgraded to a second hand hx and a new sette 270w. Very happy with my setup now