Thread: Kinda wish I got a Domobar

Kinda wish I got a Domobar

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I got to play with a Domobar today at Di Bartoli. Its a really nice machine! If I was aware of all the stuff I want to do now when I got my Isomac Venus, I would probably have sprung for the extra $200.

Best parts: damn quiet, adjustable thermostat and OPV, large drip tray, very small machine.

Worst parts: 4 hole steam tip with funny angles. This was easily changed to a 2 and a 3 hole. But what were they thinking?

We also opened it up. The water tank sits on 4 springs. I reckon this is what makes it quiet. And its really neat and tidy inside, which appeals to me as an engineer.

Pictures and comments:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/10360653@N06/sets/72157601050782633/

This is a good time to bring up another question, why are machines so inefficient with space? Even the Dobomar, which is very small for what it is, could go even better.

Re: Kinda wish I got a Domobar

The domobar looks a nice machine with that E61 group head I have a couple of questions perhaps some one can help with. Whats the thermostat deadband like, re temp surfing, also how long before the SB builds up steam pressure.

I agree that the Domobar appears to be a good machine 8-). I was highly impressed at the Aroma festival as it delivered two very good espressos at the ECA stand and Renzo backed it up with a third at the DiBartoli stand. Before the festival I was kinda keen on the Bezerra Domus Galatea, mainly due to looks :P, but came away highly impressed by the Domobar and very much wanting one.

I wouldnt call it small though, at 530mm long it is one of the longest machines in its price bracket and too long for the side bench at home :(

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Macchiato link=1185602789/0#2 date=1185614641
    I agree that the Domobar appears to be a good machine *8-). I was highly impressed at the Aroma festival as it delivered two very good espressos at the ECA stand and Renzo backed it up with a third at the DiBartoli stand. Before the festival I was kinda keen on the Bezerra Domus Galatea, mainly due to looks *:P, but came away highly impressed by the Domobar and very much wanting one.

I wouldnt call it small though, at 530mm long it is one of the longest machines in its price bracket and too long for the side bench at home *:(
    The domobar super is deep but will fit on a standard 600mm bench no probs at all...The domobar on the other hand is Silvia small- Id ditch the 4 hole tip though ;)

Or, keep the 4-hole tip in the cupboard and employed on those big family occasions when the mega pitcher is also dusted of cobwebs.

-Robusto

You dont really want to use the 4 hole tip ever. The holes are done at crazy angles. When I purged the wand of water, the water went all over the place - a couple holes did not point into the drip tray. Its crazy. I couldnt really get much power using the 4 hole. Throw it away.

Thats pretty much the top of the class for single (dual purpose) machines. I think theyre great for the price, but Ive never spent any time on one. I was pretty close to buying one a couple of years back, but a Bezzera just happened my way. Still curious though.

Gee that boiler looks big for a SB. Wish someone a sponsor maybe would come back with an answer to my previous questions, how important is temp surfing to the SB Domobar, does all that brass make it less critical compared to Silvia. How long does it take to build up steam pressure after brewing. Love to know if this is a viable alternative to a low end HX not all of us can afford Giottos, Maver Makins etc. and a PIDd Silvia is getting up near price of SB Domabar and Low end HX.

TC

Vic,

I have yet to use one....Ill contact ECA, see if I can get them to read this thread and respond...They certainly are gorgeous 8-)

Chris

Thanks Chris I am sure other CSrs would also love to know more about the Domobar.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by vicroamer link=1185602789/0#1 date=1185610592
    The domobar looks a nice machine with that E61 group head I have a couple of questions perhaps some one can help with. Whats the thermostat deadband like, re temp surfing, also how long before the SB builds up steam pressure.
    FYI all, I put these questions to Peter "brainiac" Cairis of ECA.....His response:

“What’s the thermostat dead band like” – this is the bandwidth between when the Pressurestat switch (opens and closes)

It heats the element at what pressure i.e. begins to heat at 1.1bar (switch contacts are closed) and stops heating at 1.3bar (switch contacts are open). The bandwidth is 0.2bar (dead band) no heating during this time so I guess he is asking how much thermal loss there is during this time???

The boiler temps are 122.1 deg C @ 1.1bar and up to 125.1deg C @ 1.3bar a difference of 3 degrees C. However the group temp is around 92 – 94 deg C this difference does not transfer directly to the head as the thermal variation is far too great.

The head may not need surfing due to this. Generally, purging would re-introduce fresh water into the group head paths that may have areas of evaporation this is also what you here at the point of infusion (group shower)

SB??? Steam boilers- Give it 15 – 20 minutes, however the head will take a good 45 min for stability.

Thanks Chris, pardon my ignorance but I thought bar measurement applied to hX pressurestats, I would expect a boiler to have a thermostat, and measurement to be degrees, if figures quoted are for the single boiler model then temp looks to be very stable. Re steam I didnt explain it very well, I just wanted to know how long after pulling a shot would it be ready to steam.
    Reason for questions is I am trying to gauge how it would compare with a entry level HX like the similar priced Oscar.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by vicroamer link=1185602789/0#11 date=1185964967
    Thanks Chris, pardon my ignorance but I thought bar measurement applied to hX pressurestats, I would expect a boiler to have a thermostat, and measurement to be degrees, if figures quoted are for the single boiler model then temp looks to be very stable. Re steam I didnt explain it very well, I just wanted to know how long after pulling a shot would it be ready to steam.
    Reason for questions is I am trying to gauge how it would compare with a entry level HX like the similar priced Oscar.
    Vic- it cant compare to a HX machine- as it isnt one...Its a snazzy Silvia- albeit a heap more temp stable one and with a far superior group. Expect 30 sec minimum between shot and steam. You will get a heap more steam as the boiler at 1.5 litres is 5x the size of that in ths Silvia. Temperature wise, it is more stable as you have the heat sink of the group to assist.

Id be ditching the 4 hole tip and going 2 hole. After all, if you really wanna make a cup of tea with it, Id be recommending the purchase of kettle ;)

Im in Sydney next week. Ill pop the hood of one and have a look in detail (and maybe take a few pix.)

Realise it isnt a HX but is in the same price class as Oscar which is my upper limit. I am trying to determine which would be better for me, time from brew to steam is important as we like cappas which of course gives a HX the edge, but that E61 is lovely and the boiler is big and the whole thing looks a quality machine.

Quote Originally Posted by vicroamer link=1185602789/0#13 date=1185971722
    time from brew to steam is important as we like cappas which of course gives a HX the edge
    Answered your own question?

The appeal of the Domobar is if you only have room for a little machine, want a few extras over a Silvia/Venus and looks are important :D And all things considered, its a pretty good price for what you get compared to other single boilers.

Answered your own question?
    Not really I may be prepared to wait a bit, just depends on how long, its all about price and being prepared to compromise.

Site Sponsor

Im in Sydney next week. Ill pop the hood of one and have a look in detail (and maybe take a few pix.)

Chris, maybe youd like to pop by our store and poke into the inside of our Domobar? if itll be Saturday the 11th, wede love to invite also Marc, vicroamer and any interested CS to inspect and try out themselves. What do you all think?

Ofra

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Di Bartoli link=1185602789/15#16 date=1186125370

Chris, maybe youd like to pop by our store and poke into the inside of our Domobar? if itll be Saturday the 11th, wede love to invite also Marc, vicroamer and any interested CS to inspect and try out themselves. What do you all think?

Ofra
    Would be great Ofra. Unfortunately Im up for the afternoon on Wednesday and pretty much fully booked :(

Chris

Thanks for the invite Offra, but I am in Melbourne.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by vicroamer link=1185602789/15#18 date=1186126292
    Thanks for the invite Offra, but I am in Melbourne.
    Ok Melbournites, the bullet has been bitten.

I have ordered one to take up residence on the bench as a demo and as my new car boot machine...It will be open for viewing/shot pulling soon ;)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1185602789/15#19 date=1186129938
    I have ordered one to take up residence on the bench as a demo and as my new car boot machine...It will be open for viewing/shot pulling soon ;)
    How do you manage to get enough power to the machine? Thats impressive! :P

yeah and I hope you filter the water from the radiator too!

TC

I got one of the Domobars last week- as a swap for a demo grinder.

This little one has become the new car boot machine and over the weekend, I paired it with a LaSpaziale Junior grinder- though it will most likely end up with an ECM KS doserless which has a smaller footprint.

It was somewhat sad for a machine under 12 months old. The group seal was filthy and cooked and the shower screen was almost completely blocked (Why do some suppliers not bother educating their clients?? *::)). I replaced both seal and shower screen and gave it a massive chemical backflush- You shoulda seen what came out of it *:o. On a positive note, the 4 hole tip had been replaced with a 2-hole version which is a big plus.

It had not been benchtested and ran at 12 bar as received so I adjusted the OPV to 9 bar and installed a 0.7mm restrictor. The machine then received a comprehensive clean and polish.

30 or so shots later....Its much more thermostable than the standard Silvia and needs no special care to produce an excellent shot. Great steam pressure and good quality, dry steam (after the initial purge) produced beautiful silk milk.

If you were contemplating a Silvia and PID at circa $1200, I think there is a compelling argument to shell out the extra $$. The Domobar Levetta with a 1.5 litre boiler is a far superior machine out of the box (build and e-61) and worth the extra spend. If ever the day comes that it needs a new element, its just a simple replacement- more convenient that the Silvia where the entire boiler gets replaced these days... :(

Should anyone want to replicate this setup, Ill do it with LaSpaziale, Rancilio Rocky or ECM Best or KS grinder at cost during September 07. You pay $1299 for the Domobar + grinder cost.

Gar

Chris - so what are you trying to say about the Silvia + PID which I bought off you recently and was heavily promoted through this site ?.

Are you now saying this set up is no good or that the Domobar is much better ?

Gar

TC

No way Gar- A PIDed Silvia is a fantastic machine- *but* for those who can afford the extra few hundred over a standard Silvia or do not wish to modify their machine, the VBM is great...

One thing though- as a car boot machine, its biceps building ;)

Gar

Thanks for clarifying that Chris.

Your original comment about the Silvia (before you changed it) was maybe a bit misleading. Plus I guess I got a good deal off you with my Silvia. If I had to pay around $1200 for it, then yes I would probably have been looking around for something else.

Gar

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Gar link=1185602789/15#25 date=1188886496
    Thanks for clarifying that Chris.

Your original comment about the Silvia (before you changed it) was maybe a bit misleading. * Plus I guess I got a good deal off you with my Silvia. * If I had to pay around $1200 for it, then yes I would probably have been looking around for something else.

Gar *
    Absolutely Gar- Current price for a Silvia with PID fitted by us but ordered by you is $1200....You did EXTREMELY well ;)

Indeed it is quite compelling if you are going to shell out for any single boiler machine. The added features are arguably worth the little bit extra over the cheaper single boilers, the black version is a fair bit cheaper than similar single boilers and still looks quite good, and it is Silvia-small.