Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By artman
  • 1 Post By rogerjet

Thread: Rancilio Silvia Element leak

Rancilio Silvia Element leak

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I'm having an issue with my Silvia, I have upgrade to a V4 Boiler and element. (previously element died)

I was having some (still having) random rcd trips I have finally found the problem the element post is leaking a slight amount of water when in steam mode.

Does anybody have any ideas how to repair, I really cant be bothered disassembling the boiler again .

Is it an element fault, element gasket or element not tight enough (couldn't get it any tighter). Is it possible to pot the top of the element in araledyte or something?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

It this the version that gets cracks in the lid around the element posts?

Is it leaking between the boiler and element thread, or between the element posts and the element "head" that screws into the boiler.

Cheers

Im pretty sure its leaking between the post and the element head. Not the element head and boiler.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerjet View Post
    Im pretty sure its leaking between the post and the element head. Not the element head and boiler.
    That points to the element unit being faulty. Have you tried contacting the place you bought it from?

Cheers
    inorog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    That points to the element unit being faulty. Have you tried contacting the place you bought it from?

Cheers
    Not really an option from when I bought the element to when I started using was 6 months, then it was working for like 4 months and started random trips but I thought no way it was the element (due to it being new). I then stopped using it for a few months until the last few weeks I thought I would try to work out what was wrong. So warranty would no longer be valid .

Apart from the cost of the element I cont be bother pulling it apart again...Plus no concerned that the next element will have same problem, that why I was wondering if some sort of seal was possible.

Well, if there is a crack in the element - the trips will not go away - if anything they will get worse - i.e. immediate tripping as you turn it on. So you'll have to pull it apart anyway. As I see it now, it's a question of "you choose when to do it" (whilst it's still working) vs. "it chooses when you will do it" (once it goes bad)

Aside to that - you are entitled to expect a reasonable life out of a product even if it is slightly outside its replacement warranty period. So a vendor's bullcr*p "it's outside warranty by X weeks" will not stand.

I took the plunge and bought a new element. The replacement wasn't as painful as the boiler upgrade.

Hopefully with the pictures I have attached you can see what my issue was. The new element the posts are braised or soldered to the base but on the old one no braising(sorry if not the correct term).

If anybody else needs to replace the element make make sure it looks like the new one...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    inorog likes this.