Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By science-teacher
  • 2 Post By JetBlack_Espresso
  • 1 Post By phrostyboi
  • 1 Post By dbun
  • 1 Post By CafeLotta
  • 1 Post By JetBlack_Espresso

Thread: Rancilio Silvia E model- does it suck?

Rancilio Silvia E model- does it suck?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys
    I see the rancilio silvia V5 E model for sale on jetblack espresso https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...ilio-silvia-e/
    I see coffee a roma often do auctions on brand new ones on ebay, but only the E model.

What are people's thoughts on the 30 minute auto shut off, should i care? I imagine it is a pain.
    I'd love to hear some user experiences.

I plan to turn it on, shower and then use it.

Thanks

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by science-teacher View Post
    Hey guys
    I see the rancilio silvia V5 E model for sale on jetblack espresso https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...ilio-silvia-e/
    I see coffee a roma often do auctions on brand new ones on ebay, but only the E model.

What are people's thoughts on the 30 minute auto shut off, should i care? I imagine it is a pain.

Thanks

That's an odd interpretation of Jetblack's website. They say that they won't sell the V5 E model because of the 30 minute auto shut off.

You're right sorry. But my question still stands as the e is available through auctions from Coffee a roma
    Barry O'Speedwagon likes this.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    You're right sorry. But my question still stands as the e is available through auctions from Coffee a roma
    I've never owned a Silvia (I'm sure plenty who have will chip in), but a 30 minute autoshutdown would be a pain in the proverbial on most decent machines. A 1 hour shutdown would not be such a problem. Because it's a single boiler workarounds with timer switches (on multiple startup times) might not be a great idea (unless you are super careful with priming the boiler before shutting down)
    Last edited by Barry O'Speedwagon; 31st May 2018 at 08:40 PM.

I found 30 min was the typical time to warm up. If in a hurry 20 min with a couple of flushes through the PF would speed things up.

30 min auto shut off is a daft idea and sounds like a right pain in the arse especially since it takes 30 min to warm up. More often than not I switch on the machine and wander off to do other things. I'd quickly lose my patience if I returned to find the thing had switched itself off.

I'm usually in a bit of a hurry and tend to flush through the group every time the heater light goes out, to get it back on again. I find that the machine is hot enough after 3 or certainly 4 such flushes. Probably about 15 minutes. Nevertheless, on weekends the pace is a bit more relaxed and I agree that it would be a pain for the machine to switch itself off just as it was reaching operating temperature. I wouldn't buy the auto shut-off model.

The Silvia was a great little machine in its day when there was little competition, quite a few other makers are now offering similarly priced models that on paper look to have better specs than Silvia.

Hi science-teacher,

I don't own a Silvia...Wish I did, back in the day and even now, they were great value for money IMO...But I have an auto with auto turn on and auto shut off, which I can set both to whatever I like. Mine shuts off after 2 hours...Even though different machines, the feature is a great feature. Very convenient. Even on my machine, 1/2 hour would be to short for me and would render the feature useless. Although, on my machine it doesn't take long to heat the machine up after it has started and timed out, but it doesn't have a boiler...To state the obvious. Have you asked if this feature can be expanded to a longer time? Maybe some internet searching about this question, and even talking to retailers such as the site sponsers might help too.

Let's know how you get on.

Cheers.

Site Sponsor
    Hey guys

What are people's thoughts on the 30 minute auto shut off, should i care?
    Yes you should.

I imagine it is a pain.
    Yes it is.

If it's not on long enough, the espresso won't taste as good as it should. And if it's on for longer than 30 minutes it will turn itself off and go cold! Get a Silvia M and turn it off when you've finished with it!

charlie
    jetblackespresso.com.au
    Casa Espresso and Lukemc like this.

If the heating time of the newer model Silvia's are anything like the older model (mine is approaching 10 years old), you'd need 20 minutes at a minimum of heating time - I turn mine on and shower, dress and so on like you plan to which is close to a 20 - 30 minute exercise
    I'd go with everyones recommendation and get the M model, the machines themselves are very reliable and robust when taken care of
    JetBlack_Espresso likes this.

Site Sponsor
    The heating time on the newer models is unchanged so still around 30 minutes.

charlie
    jetblackespresso.com.au

I would avoid a Silvia with auto-shutoff.

The Silvia is a great machine, but really benefits from a nice warm up time - 30-40mins.
    I used to turn mine on in the morning before going to the gym, so it had a solid 40-50mins warming up.

You could get the boiler and other parts up to temp in about 15mins by using the trick of flushing the group head a few times, but I found the coffee was not quite as good compared to piping hot machine.
    JetBlack_Espresso likes this.

I was completely against having a auto shutoff silvia, but I ended up snatching a 2nd hand one for a bargain price too good to pass. I originally planned on removing the auto shutoff mechanism, but after owning for a month I soon realized how convenient it actually is. When your n a rush you don’t have to worry if you left the machine on, also comes in handy as the wife has a habit of leaving the machine running steam temp.

One repairer said that replacing burnt out elements in Silvia's was his bread and butter work that kept a regular income coming in between getting bigger work. Inexperienced operators not understanding the importance of boiler priming at start-up and after steaming were the usual customers.The E model was probably released in response to this. Running some water through the Steam wand before switching off should protect the element if you use a timer as long as there are no leaks at the steam valve or 3 way valve.
    Dimal likes this.

Site Sponsor
    With the Silvia E, you may save on boiler repairs but you've added a relatively expensive control board to replace if/when it fails. The Silvia M doesn't have a control board so one less component to worry about.

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
    With the Silvia E, you may save on boiler repairs but you've added a relatively expensive control board to replace if/when it fails. The Silvia M doesn't have a control board so one less component to worry about.

charlie
    $120 Control Board to maybe help protect a $120 Element. Probably cheaper to replace the Control Board though when labor costs are taken into account than the Boiler Heating Element?

https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...-control-board

https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...ment-and-seal/

If the 30 min switch off is annoying, people can set a timer/alarm to remind them.
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:56 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    $120 Control Board to maybe help protect a $120 Element. Probably cheaper to replace the Control Board though when labor costs are taken into account than the Boiler Heating Element?

https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...-control-board

https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...ment-and-seal/

If the 30 min switch off is annoying, people can set a timer/alarm to remind them.
    Whether or not you'll be in front in terms of repair costs will depend on how forgetful you are I guess. FWIW, board failures won't be related to user error nor protection of the element so will be more a case of bad luck. This will be in addition to element damage caused by steaming for too long (which is a scenario that the control board doesn't protect against).

charlie
    CafeLotta likes this.