Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hipsi

Thread: My Oscar Nova Simonelli has died and now deciding on a Sunbeam

Question My Oscar Nova Simonelli has died and now deciding on a Sunbeam

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,

Im new here and looking for some advice.

I currently own an Oscar Nova Simonelli which I've had since 2009 and also have a EM048 grinder.

Last year I spent around $300 on fixing the Oscar, it has a new element, some sort of new protection blanket etc. The year before that around $200 on other bits.

This year it has packed it again, not heating up and now the steam knob turns all the way with no steam. It also leaks water from the bottom assuming it is related to the steam know.

Anyhow I am now thinking I dont want to trough more money at it and buy a new machine.

I normally drink short and long blacks during the week, around 3 per day and on the weekend I do lattes etc for family and friends plus my usual shots.

Unfortunately i'm not in the position to spend 1000's on a machine , so I have looked around and deciding over the Sunbeam EM7000 or the EM4300, So price range between 200 to 500 ish.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated and if you have any other suggestions I would love to know.

Cheers

Pop the top off the oscar and have a look.
    The element will need a resistance check (while unplugged), as a starting point
    And the leak will need some sealer.

Thanks Jackster , i opened and all seems connected to me. I don't know much about this stuff to be honest.

You can see in the links below:

https://ibb.co/fVo7OT
    https://ibb.co/dpEsq8

You will need to check the resistance on the element to decide if it needs a new one make it heat up.
    It needs to show some resitance. If none, then new element.
    I imagine a sponsor has them, but they arent expensive although if its incredibly tight (as mine was), it may need stripping to get the boiler held securely.

Id suggest the oscar makes a better brew than the sunbeam. (I have a musica)

Thanks Jackster, I think I would need to get it looked at again by the technician , but Im scared to then throw another few hundred dollars at it and then back to square one months later. Im not extremely fuzzed , I pretty much drink long blacks and I'm off milk and not a fan of soy or almond in coffee.

You don't think one of the sunbeams will do the job. Im currently just brewing in a pot to get my fix !

I think what Jackster is saying is that for what you are going to spend on a Sunbeam, youíd be better off resurrecting the Oscar. Theyíre not a complicated machine and parts are very easy to get. (Iíve just brought one back to life myself) itís likely an easy fix and youíll get a better coffee from it in the long run.
    If you want to save some money, look at it this way. Itís currently not working so you canít make it not work any worse. Itís a good learning experience getting down to the inner workings of these beasts, and you might surprise yourself as to how easy it is to fix. And even then failing that, you sell it off for someone else to fix. Remember, Weíre all here to help

Just always keep in the front of your mind, these run on 240V AC. Donít ever put your hands or tools inside unless itís unplugged from the wall.

Where are you based?
    inorog likes this.

Thanks Hipsi, unfortunately I'm not much of a handyman . Looking at it I don't even know where to start. there are a few things wrong with it , not heating up, steam knob not working and leaking , seems like a bit of a task. Im in Melbourne.

Okay that's understandable, but I think you should definitely discuss it with some of our sponsors, obviously the Melbourne based ones to determine an estimated cost before diving in with a new, sub-par machine. If I had to spend the same amount of money one way or another, I'd be putting it into the Oscar.

Thanks for the advice, do you know any sponsor in Melbourne ? Or point me to wherere the are ? Sorry I'm new here.

I just pulled these from the sponsors section:

Casa Espresso
    Coffee-A-Roma
    The Coffee Machinist

Thank you Hipsi, will take a look and see how I go.