• 2 Post By garethcandy
  • 1 Post By garethcandy
  • 2 Post By garethcandy
  • 3 Post By jcrayon

Thread: Recommendations for a new machine ~$1,000

Recommendations for a new machine ~$1,000

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I currently have a Sunbeam EM6910 which I have had for over 6 years now and I am looking to invest in a new machine.

My requirements are pretty simple, I make a flat white or macchiato for myself every morning and very occasionally make a second or third coffee for visitors (usually milky). I use freshly roasted beans usually within two weeks of the roasting date and aim for consistently good espresso by using a measured weight of freshly ground coffee from an adjustable burr grinder and consistent tamping pressure, dialing in with each new bag of beans by making adjustments to the weight of coffee and the coarseness of grind.

I'm happy to wait for 10-15 minutes for a machine to warm up but would prefer not to have to wait much longer. I value simplicity and quality, i'd like to get a machine that would last me for years and that can reliably deliver consistent brew temperatures for good quality espresso.

I'm probably leaning at the moment towards going for a PID controlled single boiler (Lelit PL41TEMD, or Rancilio Silvia with PID installed) but open to alternative suggestions that would seem to meet my requirements.

I'm based in Canberra so the used machine market can be a bit hit and miss but would certainly consider a well maintained pre-loved machine.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions

Are you open to buying used, or only brand new?

Used can help you stretch your budget further by getting something quite good for the dollars.

If buying new I would go for the Lelit PL41TEMD over the Silvia.

Hi Dbun, thanks for the advice, I would be interested in a used machine, particularly if it meant I could get a HX machine. I've not had a lot of luck finding decent used machines in Canberra though.

Hi Gareth, not a lot of comments so thought I should mention I was faced with your decision a year ago and bought the PL41TEMD, has run flawlessly since in our espresso only household. Not qualified to make any comparisons but it wouldn't be a wrong decision if you went that way. Fast heat up, reasonable quality at it's pricepoint.

I use a timer and would suggest the same.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    I've got a Diadema Reale that is (probably) surplus to my requirements, and is in good nick. It won't heat up in 10-15 minutes though. Haven't decided whether I want to to sell it quite yet, but if you're still looking in a week or so shoot me a PM (I'm in Lyneham).

Personal choice but would skip the single boiler and go HX if the budget can stretch or a quality second hand HX comes up as. I like the ability to steam and pull shot at same time and find it quicker for the times when you make a few or more milk coffees in a row. my Oscar 2 easily kept up with 10 coffees in a row.
    Warm up time is easy to get around with a timer or WiFi plug ($10 or $50+). I like the WiFi plug as if have the app on your phone and want a coffee for when arrive you can turn machine on if you have a data connection.
    Sent you a PM also
    Cheers
    Martin
    DaveD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by garethcandy View Post
    My requirements are pretty simple, I make a flat white or macchiato for myself every morning and very occasionally make a second or third coffee for visitors (usually milky).
    I'm happy to wait for 10-15 minutes for a machine to warm up but would prefer not to have to wait much longer. I value simplicity and quality, i'd like to get a machine that would last me for years and that can reliably deliver consistent brew temperatures for good quality espresso.
    Seems like you have have your eye on the ball with clear requirements for the machine you wish to buy.

Might be well worth your while having a chat with site sponsor Charlie of Jetblack Espresso. He has a lot to do with Lelit and even though not in Canberra is just down the road (well sort of - 3hrs or so!).

Not everyone needs or wants a more expensive Hx machine and Lelit has some good machines that are with-in your budget and meet your requirements.

The newer Lelit Victoria (PL91T) looks like a very interesting machine and with EOFY sales it may come down closer to your budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAh3gXopL7A
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 9th June 2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added Link.
    garethcandy and Patmac like this.

Thanks for the advice all, i値l definitely get in touch with Jetblack to get some advice and explore some pre-loved options.

I知 interested in what advantages the Lelit Victoria has over the PL41TEMD since they are both single boiler machines with a PID. i知 Thinking Jetblack might be able to help with that.
    CafeLotta and Patmac like this.

Thanks for the advice all, i’ll definitely get in touch with Jetblack to get some advice and explore some pre-loved options.

I’m interested in what advantages the Lelit Victoria has over the PL41TEMD since they are both single boiler machines with a PID. i’m Thinking Jetblack might be able to help with that.
    be interested in hearing how you go with a lelit. I’m leaning that way myself. Had two sunbeam 7000 that I’ve had to return. Good luck Pat

I知 interested in what advantages the Lelit Victoria has over the PL41TEMD since they are both single boiler machines with a PID. i知 Thinking Jetblack might be able to help with that.
    I am interested as well. The only differences I can see at the moment is that the Pl91T (Victoria) has:
    - 300ml boiler vs 250ml
    - Boiler autofills during steaming which means you can steam more milks without needing to refill the boiler
    - 58mm basket size ... I can't get clarity on whether or not the latest PL41TEMD has 58mm or 57.5mm.
    - $500 more expensive

Might ring Jetblack soon.

I am currently working on a comparison Google sheet which you are welcome to add to here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Love the spreadsheet jcrayon, it looks like I am going to go with a second hand HX machine from a local CSer, hopefully checking it out this weekend. The 57.5mm portafilter on the PL41 had been a bit of a turnoff for me mainly because I have a Decent Espresso tamper that I really like and wouldn稚 have been able to use with a smaller portafilter.
    CafeLotta likes this.

Nice buy on the HX.

I am replacing a failing Breville BES900 and I ended up making an entirely different decision - I thought I would go down the Lelit path but I found it really hard to think about going back to single boiler, having to do cooling flushes, and not having niceties like auto-wakeup.

I just found Harvey Norman has the BES920 for $799 delivered to my door.

Even with some of the potential issues that users have noted with the BES920, I had a great run with the BES900. I will be interested in testing Breville's 2 year warranty if the need arises - especially given that some parts see to be already no longer available.

Hope the BES920 goes well for you jcrayon, out of interest what grinder are you using currently?

Picked up a pre-loved Diadema Reale today from Mr O'Speedwagon and just attempted my first shot, a little over extracted but not far off the mark - might just be luck but already close to the best I got out of my old 6910, shouldn't take long to get the grind dialled in. Very pleased with the new machine, looks great in the kitchen and looking forward to learning how to get the best out of her.

Hmm, suddenly thoughts are turning to a new grinder to help me make the most out of her, upgraditis continues...

Quote Originally Posted by jcrayon View Post
    I am currently working on a comparison Google sheet which you are welcome to add to here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Since I am no longer in the market for a replacement machine, I had closed access to the spreadsheet - however I have just had a flurry of Google Sheet access requests from people who want to use it.

So I have opened up to Full Share and Edit - feel free to add to it for the collective good, or take a copy and use it for your personal needs. I will leave it there for a while.
    garethcandy, 63Holden and inorog like this.