• 2 Post By arcachon
  • 1 Post By Rolf
  • 1 Post By MrJack
  • 2 Post By EspressoAdventurer
  • 1 Post By inorog

Thread: Price vs Longevity

Price vs Longevity

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After almost 12 years, my EM6910 is not long for this world. I can't complain though as it has only ever needed a collar replacement and a few group head seals.

That said, i'm looking to upgrade. My question is around the longevity of the fancier Italian machines versus an EM7100 for example. I quite like the look of the Lelit PL60T V2, or alternatively the slightly cheaper PL60. Should I expect that machines such as these are going to have a far greater lifespan than a Sunbeam or Breville? I'd hope that their going to use higher quality materials (more brass, copper etc).

I guess i'm trying to rationalise the additional cost over the 7100. If the more expensive machine will have a much greater lifespan, spending the extra makes sense.

Thoughts?
    matth3wh and gordons like this.

First thought is 12 years was a great innings.
    Second thought is that I doubt that a machine costing 10 times as much will have a 10 times longer lifespan... but it might make better espresso and milk along the way and look great on your bench.

Is a BMW 10 times better than a Toyota? They still sell plenty of BMW's.

It's more important to buy what you can afford and learn to make the best coffee possible on it. Feed it great quality beans and enjoy the results.

Hi Willsy. I was a previous EM6910 owner. 12 years is a pretty good lifespan. There's no reason a 7100 won't last as long but its a bit of a lottery as they generally don't. The biggest issue is breakdowns are often prohibitive to repair. With the more expensive machines (such as the Lelit you're looking at) generally the opposite is true. Its unusual not to get 10+ years out of them and if they do fail its often fixed with a replacement part or 2.

Andy makes a good point though. You can also get 10 years of better coffee.
    inorog and gordons like this.

my IZZO Alex is now 8 years old and is still working,
    https://www.kaffeewiki.de/wiki/Izzo_Alex_Duetto
    gordons likes this.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate that initial outlay and longevity isn't an exponential thing......I guess i'm trying to get a read on how much more robust the pricier equipment is.

Quote Originally Posted by arcachon View Post
    The biggest issue is breakdowns are often prohibitive to repair. With the more expensive machines (such as the Lelit you're looking at) generally the opposite is true. Its unusual not to get 10+ years out of them and if they do fail its often fixed with a replacement part or 2.
    'Repairability' is another thing too. Correct me if i'm wrong here, but my understanding is that machines from Vibiemme, Lelit, Bezerra et al around the $2K price point use commercial parts which will be more readily available for a longer period of time. Sunbeam/Breville parts will more likely go out of production after a while though on the other hand. In saying that, 6910 parts are still easy enought o get so perhaps i'm making stuff up

For the thousands of you playing along at home, I ordered a Lelit Mara from JetBlack on the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by willsy01 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I appreciate that initial outlay and longevity isn't an exponential thing......I guess i'm trying to get a read on how much more robust the pricier equipment is.

'Repairability' is another thing too. Correct me if i'm wrong here, but my understanding is that machines from Vibiemme, Lelit, Bezerra et al around the $2K price point use commercial parts which will be more readily available for a longer period of time. Sunbeam/Breville parts will more likely go out of production after a while though on the other hand. In saying that, 6910 parts are still easy enought o get so perhaps i'm making stuff up
    I bought my Bezzera BZ99s second hand for $400 about 5 years ago (they were ~$2k new). It's still going strong and is over 20 years old now! Zero regrets.
    Paolo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJack View Post
    I bought my Bezzera BZ99s second hand for $400 about 5 years ago (they were ~$2k new). It's still going strong and is over 20 years old now! Zero regrets.
    And you oughta be congratulated Mr Jack....for a canny choice.
    I too 'learnt' all my real lessons on a BZ99.
    One that is well maintained will likely still be going for you in another 20years.

But you try and tell the young ones of today that... ad they wooon't believe ya !
    Paolo and inorog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
    And you oughta be congratulated Mr Jack....for a canny choice.
    I too 'learnt' all my real lessons on a BZ99.
    One that is well maintained will likely still be going for you in another 20years.

But you try and tell the young ones of today that... ad they wooon't believe ya !
    It's all about disruption maaaan... service economy maaaaan... Coffee cloud maaan, there's app for that - I think... Grindr?
    EspressoAdventurer likes this.

Whatever it is, if you can't buy it at Harvey Norman it's going to be a better machine-

Quote Originally Posted by inorog View Post
    It's all about disruption maaaan... service economy maaaaan... Coffee cloud maaan, there's app for that - I think... Grindr?
    Well you keep thinking about it...and searching ...and I'm sure it might come to you evennttuaalliy ! maaann.

Meanwhile open up your payments app will ya ...cause Gerry reckons he hasn't clipped your account for some days now.
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by JMcCee View Post
    Whatever it is, if you can't buy it at Harvey Norman it's going to be a better machine-

That's not quite true. The Breville BES 920 DB on sale at $794 is unbeatable.

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    You can get a Hario Skerton and V60 for $99.95 from alternative brewing. That's unbeatable. Both will last well over a decade if cared for properly.

I think the point here is there is much much more to buying a machine than price and longevity. Style, practicality, quality and method (plus much more) is just as much a factor in many peoples eyes as the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    That's not quite true. The Breville BES 920 DB on sale at $794 is unbeatable.

Based on the premise that the Op's question was 'Price vs Longevity', which of the 40+ pages of the thread on the said Breville machine would you like to be linked too? Read through it lately?

If the question was raised "Who here has had a need to replace a Grouphead (Collar) on their E61 in the last 10years?
    Then the combined answers back will very likely amount to ....duck egg!

Sure the consumer class of machine addresses a need in the market, and are well accepted by consumers.
    However if any serious evaluation of things other than initial investment are considered in areas like -
    - Quality of service against intended use.
    - Length of continual service thoughout its life.
    - Lifetime total number of shots delivered on a cents per shot against total investment
    - Owners level of Total Satisfaction.
    - Etc Etc.
    There can be no doubt the pendulum is firmly in the court of the Pro-Sumer Machines.

GL to the other Op on his espresso quest.