Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By WhatEverBeansNecessary
  • 1 Post By murrmax
  • 3 Post By gonzob

Thread: Help me decide on a new machine

Help me decide on a new machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello and good morning

My silvia is nearly done after 14 years of work, on 10 hours each day every day (great machine)
    So i will upgrade while the silvia gets a new boiler seal (it will soldier on but who knows how long)

Common sense tells me to get a Lelit victoria similar to silvia but probably better.
    I keep looking at the La Pavoni Europiccola.
    I am the only coffee drinker and i will make 3 a day double shot latte.
    Im thinking turn it on, make coffee turn it of,f and the La Pavoni Europiccola seems to be made for this

It cant be that difficult to master a lever machine can it?, even get the pro model if it is a better choice.
    I got to get this right as i dont buy often , lelit for common sense la pavoni for a new toy.
    if i toss i coin i know which way i want it to fall but then i want it to flip over.
    any opinions greatly appreciated

I love this part of a purchase such fun.
    cheers Brian

G'day Brian
    If you buddied up to the Sylvia single boiler for such a long time and found it suits you needs, then there is what many
    consider to be the very best Single Boiler machine going in the for sale section atm.
    Do some background reading* on The Isomac Zaffiro and you'll find that, and it pulls amazingly good shots.
    I have pulled some shots on one of these E61 SB, side by side with a very good E61 HX'er, and found the same.

Of course the normal SB workarounds apply. And it would be a slightly longer warm up as compared to your Silvia experience.

Otherwise as your doing Dble Shot Ristretto Latte's, then the LA Pavoni is a sensible choice as well.
    GL with whatever you upgrade too.
    * There was a very detailed and informative post by Mark Prince detailing fully this machine. It should be easy to look it up.

For a little more you can get the Rolls Royce of Single Boilers - https://www.ecm.de/en/products/detai.../classika-pid/

There's a reason why so many old Pavonis are still in use and new ones can still be bought. If I was on my own or the sole coffee drinker in the madhouse a Pav would do just fine although I like the better consistency and superior frothing of a McCal. The Pav has a tiny footprint, looks great and can make espresso as good as anything thrice the price. On the other hand, fine machines like the ECM will suit just fine as well.

Just be well aware that if you do get a Pavoni chances are you will become an incorrigible leverhead from which there is no turning back..

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    I loved my La Pavoni and in many ways I miss the old manual press of the lever. However there are some really big draw backs of it:

If you ever have guests who wouldn't mind a coffee, you are pretty much limited to only 2 or 3 coffees before the machine is too hot to pour anything good out of it and it will need a good 20+ minutes to cool down enough.
    Steaming milk is good but can be little tricky to get the technique.
    It takes some practice to get used to pulling a shot - particularly fine tuning the grinder and then pulling a shot when changing beans. Not a problem if you are the only one who uses it, but if you have a parter they need to practice otherwise they won't be able to pull a good shot.
    The machine runs hot - so if oyu have kids there is a real risk of burning yourself.

Having said all that the La Pavoni is capable of pulling as good shot as any machine you will ever own. And there is a lot of 'fun' to be had mucking around with it and getting a good technique going.
    CafeLotta likes this.

Just be well aware that if you do get a Pavoni chances are you will become an incorrigible leverhead from which there is no turning back..
    there's something about the lever that's for sure..

It's a great machine, the Italian engineering is a bit quirky but it's functional, not much to go wrong with it - this is a big plus, and as stated by others pulls excellent shots when you get the hang of it. It's not hard to learn if you already have some knowledge and a good quality stepless grinder I would highly recommend.
    JMcCee likes this.

I am now an incorrigible leverhead after having owned my LP Pro for just over 12 months. I had a Silvia for a few years before that. I secretly lusted after a LP for many years, but had thought them too expensive. Now I wonder why I waited.

The first shot I made on the LP was better than any shot I'd done on the Silvia. Yes, it's taken some tuning, and yes, you don't want to be making lots of coffees, but there's usually only me and the missus and it gets used 3 times a day. It's perfect.

The only mod is the single-hole steam nozzle, which makes great foam.

It's partnered up with a Mazzer Mini.

Gonzo

At work reading the replies, thanks heaps. My gut feeling is I'm gonna get a lever, I just have to admit it and make a move.

Go for it. And look at it this way- It's only the beginning