Thread: Breville BES860 tripping house electrics

Breville BES860 tripping house electrics

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Help ! We have worked out after pushing the power "on" button on the far left, a few minutes later the house earth leakage breaker trips off. ( I added a plug-in earth leakage plugin switch to the machine itself but that doesn't trip so I'm guessing the coffee machine is the straw that broke the camel's back across all house devices).

We have also recently noticed when we push the right side button to start make coffee it's started to make a slightly different buzzy noise for a couple of seconds.

I've read the buzzing is likely a failing solenoid. Can a failing solenoid trip the earth leakage ? I've looked inside and the only slight leak i can find is a high pressure pipe connection on top of the shower head between 2 solenoids. It doesn't look like much has ever leaked out. Images attached.

Any clues to the likely cause? I'm electrically minded so wanted any guidance before looking inside.

thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Palmplex; 28th June 2018 at 04:43 PM.

Steam escaping from a failing O ring on the boiler will fill the internals with moist air and do this.

That looks like quite a lot has leaked out, looks like the culprit.

Fix the leak and test it.
    If its still tripping, remove power feeds (not the returns) to the elements and retest.
    You could try removing power to the solenoids and pumps next.

Thanks for input. I'd forgotten the leak would be steam not liquid explaining the earth trip.
    Stupid question.... to remove the high pressure pipe to replace O ring? I took out the metal clip and pulled the pipe but no movement. is there a trick to removing the plastic pipe ? Is it brute force ?

If one O-ring has failed, would it be recommended to replace all the O-rings at this stage and/or just re-lubricate existing O-rings with food grade silicone grease ? Thanks guys !
    Last edited by Palmplex; 1st July 2018 at 04:01 PM.

I'd recommend replacing all the o-rings. They are a cheap disposable part. Provided it is not too much messing around to access them all.

Someone who actually knows what they are doing would be better to ask. Check with the site sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmplex View Post
    Thanks for input. I'd forgotten the leak would be steam not liquid explaining the earth trip.
    Stupid question.... to remove the high pressure pipe to replace O ring? I took out the metal clip and pulled the pipe but no movement. is there a trick to removing the plastic pipe ? Is it brute force ?

If one O-ring has failed, would it be recommended to replace all the O-rings at this stage and/or just re-lubricate existing O-rings with food grade silicone grease ? Thanks guys !
    If the hose doesn't come out easily, chances are the leak has persisted long enough that it corrodes the brass bushing into the aluminium fitting. The force it takes to remove the hose usually breaks it and then getting the bushing out of the fitting is another troublesome task.

You're either going to need to try and free it up using penetrants or by trying to force it out without damaging the hose.

The solenoid can cause the RCD to trip but it is generally from a failed solenoid body allowing water to leak into the coil. From the pictures you have provided, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of water leaking from the solenoid. You can remove the upper black plastic fitting and coil retaining nut and inspect it just to be sure.